Thread: Have you ever..?

Default Have you ever..?

This is my dilemma....

I'm planning on having my DS1's 5th B'day party at home.He wants to invite all his kinder class which is fine.My concern is that i have been to many parties where parents bring their other children( some have 3 or 4 other kids with them) as well.
    I don't have a huge house or yard and would prefer parents to drop their child off and pick them up when the party finishes. Parents can stay if they really wish too, but I really don't want an extra 20 plus kids to feed and entertain. There will be about 30 + kids and adults already.I'm also considering hiring an entertainer, and some charge extra per head over a certain number of kids.

How can I phrase the party invitation to deter extra children turning up, or to encourage parents to drop off and pick up their child rather than hanging around?. The party will be fully supervised. Anyone faced this scenario before...All ideas/opinons will be greatly appreciated!

I would put a note on the invitation that said something like:

DS has requested that his entire class comes to his birthday. As you can imagine this means a lot of children in our relatively small backyard. While parents are welcome to attend if they wish we ask that siblings do not attend due to area and catering restrictions.

Parents aren't going to stay if they can't bring the extra kids...

Maybe buy a couple of bags of lollypops of something and you can send siblings home with one if there are any party bag dramas.

I"m with Muppity on this one.

I've never had a problem with siblings staying, some times the parents bring them to drop the others off but generally leeave. I think if you address the invitation to the childs name, and have a start and end time, generally people drop the kids off and pick them up later.
    Kinda rude to turn up with other kids and hang around and stay when they weren't invited!

I had a whole thread on a similar thing to this a year ago!! DS was turning 2 and we were going to a play centre (quite expensive) and one girl wanted her 5 yr old to come, very awkward cause he was/is a bully and laways hurt the little kids so I ahd to politely say no it was only for the little ones.

I know my class have had a number of whole class parties (I teach kindy at school) I haven't heard of any probs with siblings coming but I can ask after the holidays if you like?

I once asked a group of mums with older kids how do you know if it is a drop off party and they said the invitation will normally be worded as "Drop off: 10am, Pick up: 12 noon" for example. Gets the point across without the need to give an explanation.

I like the way Muppity has worded it. I'm one of those parents who like to stay at the parties, especially when there are going to be alot of children there, but I know there are many that think of it as time off for themselves