Thread: How do i go about frezzing cakes?

Default How do i go about frezzing cakes?

Hi,
    I am just trying to get myself organised for DS's upcoming 1st birthday, and was wondering if anyone could explain how i go about frezzing cakes? a whole cake and say cup cakes?
    i know it sounds like a stupid question. and i get it that you put them in the frezzer but do i ice them first or do that on the day? when there still frozen or defrosted? and how do i defrost them? how long before i need them should i take them out?
    and will they still be as fresh?
    i need all the help i can get

Thanks in advance!

Anyone??

From my "Frost Bite" book (by Susan Austin, it a really good book)....

Freeze quickly, defrost slowly. Applicable to everything.

Completely ice and decorate the cake before freezing, but don't forget that the colour on some lollies such as M&Ms (or any coloured chocolates) will run if exposed to water or condensation. You could decorate you cake with marshmallows, jelly babies/gummi bears, etc as their colours won't run and they'll survive the freezing process.

Cakes are best left to defrost in the fridge or on the kitchen bench. Try to take it out of the freezer 12-24 hours before it is to be eaten to ensure it has completely defrosted.

The recipes included in the birthday section this book are vanilla butter cake (& cupcakes), coconut cake, chocolate cake, rainbow cake, cut out cookies, meringues, chocolate surprise cup cakes, mini carrot cakes, mars bar and marshmallow slice, and ice cream sticks.

Sorry I hadn't replied earlier, got sidetracked. Need any more info?