Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a Fairy Toadstool cake ?

smiles4u Guest

Question How to make a Fairy Toadstool cake ?

Hi all,

My DD has requested a fairy themed birthday party for her 5th birhtday.

I was thinking to make a fairy toadstool (mushroom) house birthday cake but have no idea how to make one and get the mushroom shape.

I have found various websites with photos but not much information about ' how ' its actually made.

Can anyone help ?

Especially those that have actually made one themself !

TIA, any suggestions are more than welcome

Hi Smiles, Sounds gorgeous!

My DD would love one like that!

Have you seen the Women's Weekly "Kids' Birthday Cakes" Book? Not the 1980's one with the train, but one from much later. It has a toadstool house on the front and instructions inside. Granted, it is not a red and white toadstool - which I think it should be if it is going to be a real fairy/elf house but that is beside the point!

I have a copy at home here and can email the recipe/instructions to you can't find the book. Just pm me your address.

Google images should give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Heya
    Firstly, if you want hard copy info, the AWW cookbook has one on the cover (And obviously the recipe for it inside)

Basically, it is made out of 2 cakes, which are baked in 2 different sized pudding steamers or similar. I used porcelain nesting mixing bowls (which were oven safe lol). You could use PYREX glass nesting bowls - they are about $12 and $20 from Matchbox for the size you need.

The 2 cakes are baked and then depending on how (with what) you are icing them, the small one is on the bottom, iced and the second is placed on top, iced and deco'd.
    It will depend on the size and weight of the cakes you are using as to whether you want to use cake supports in the bottom to hold the top. I didn't and it worked out fine. You can also use some long bamboo skewers if it is travelling, you just pull them out before you serve it.

Hope that helps

Hi Smiles!!!! I made this one too and used the same size Pyrex bowls (just filled one a little more than the other) and it all stayed together beautifully without skewers etc. although there was heaps of butter iciing! I got some milk choc and dyed it different colours to make the spots on the toadstool which DD loved. Also sprinkled some edible glitter as fairy dust too!
    The WW cake recipes are really quite yummy too. Happy baking - I love birthday cakes it is so much fun!!!
    I can scan and email the recipe to you tomorrow if that helps.

Ooh, I think I neeeed to get this book!
    In the mean time, mak, could you email me too? [email protected]

No worries! Will have to wait until I am at work tomorrow, lol!!

I used the Womens Weekly one as a base, I made a basic vanilla butter cake for the cakes, but instead of spending money on pudding steamers that I would never used again I actually used Dolly Varden tins that I hired from a local cake shop - only cost me $6 for the weekend! They worked perfectly!

HERE is a photo -hope you can see it - not sure how to link a public now that FB has changed! I also used butter icing but if I had to do it again I would use Betty Crocker Vanilla icing and dye that which is what I have done for cakes since then and it works beautifully!

I made the WW one...or used it as a base too...I bought a few packets of the home brand butter cake mix, and used the microwave instructions. All I had to do was use 2 slightly different shaped microwave safe bowls (which I already had) and then ice and put together. I ended up using some skewers through the cake to hold the 2 parts together, and cut a plastic plate to fit on the underside of the cake to be the top of the mushroom, just for a bit of extra support.

Good luck! And remember to have fun!

Oh, and Woolworths had some little sugar icing fairies which I used to put around the toadstool. And I bought some of the premade white fondant icing (around $5 for a small box at woolies) to make the little white circles to go on my toadstool. If I can find a photo I'll put it up tonight.

I just wanted to say Tanstar that cake is awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by UsPlus2 View Post
    I just wanted to say Tanstar that cake is awesome!!
    I agree! I feel inspired to do something similar after seeing that picture!

Thanks chicks! Really wasn't that hard - I basically copied the WW one and made sure I had little fairies to decorate! The butter icing was a bit of a failure though - all melted with the ducted heating I am in the process of working out what to do for her 4th party next month! Booo - that fairy one was for her 1st. Where did that baby poppet go?

Toomanyshoes made an awesome one for her DD if you're friends with her on FB?

I made one for DD's 2nd birthday two months ago and I have a thread about it somewhere...... off to find it for you This cake is awesome and it was not as hard to make as I thought it would be!! Mind you, DH helped me HEAPS!!!! I had so much fun decorating it......

I used two glass pyrex bowls different sizes!!

Here's the thread http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...before-152554/

I decorated mine with little candy sugar fairies I found in Woolies!!! Sooo cute DD just loved it..........

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

oh thanks so very much ladies, what a super help you all have been, im incredibly grateful for the photos offered to see (wow they all look great, i like the butterfly sugar lollies on one of the cakes) ... and yep im definately gonna seek out that WW cake book

thanks again everyone

ohh I am trying to make on efo rmiss 2 b'day!!these are so good!! can someone pm me with the recipe too??

smiles4u Guest

Smile

Can someone pretty please PM me a recipe ... that would be awesome, thanks a million

Did you have any luck finding a recipe Smiles4u??

noo- no one has pmed me with it either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast