Thread: How to make a thin cake??

Default How to make a thin cake??

I'm planning on making a Macbook cake for a friend's birthday this week, but I have no idea how to make a thin enough cake. Would I best best to make cake & then just cut it in half to make it thinner??

I would just make a normal cake and then slice through it with a really good knife or some fishing line/thin wire.

But, I'm no cake expert, LOL

Could you pour half the mixture in the pan, put a layer (or two) of baking paper on top of it, then pour the rest in? There's most likely be some leakage and it'd get baked together on the sides, but at least then you wouldn't have to cut through the entire cake...

lamingtom tray? or would it be too thin?

Lamington tray would be a perfect height, but too small.

Hmm not sure about the baking paper idea, would that work, have you tried it?

Ive done it once before. I just put the cake mixture into a slice pan.

what about something like what Marlene suggested...fishing line, really thin wire, cotton or dental floss? I've done the cotton and i think i tried the dental floss before... so much easier than trying to slice it with a knife.
    I have also seen a cake Leveler, if you could find one at a local decorating supply shop? Google the leveler to have a look

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I was thinking of maybe experimenting with substituting maybe half of the recommended SR flour with plain flour...if you're doing it from scratch rather than a packet mix...not sure if that would work though

If you drop the oven temp a little the cake won't rise as much either, so you won't have such a bog issue to flatten the top off after it is coked, regarless of how thin you bake the cake to begin with.

Try a sponge recipe you might be able to get a thinner better result than a butter cake. That way you can use a slice tin of some description, as that is as shallow, if not more so, than a victoria sandwich tin.

HTH Cant wait to see the pics when it is finished, sounds awesome!

Its a lot easier to use a shallow pan, OR cut it in half, than to use a deep pan and try and make a thin sponge. Purely because getting it out can risk breakage LOL! Sounds very cute! And you can use unflavoured floss or fishing wire to cut the cake in half if you are worried about that. And it does it PERFECTLY! Can't wait to see the final product, sounds awesome!

Sounds like fishing line or floss is the way to go. I'm making it Wednesday morning (for Thursday) so if I have to do another on Wednesday afternoon it will be ok.

Will definitely post photos Rouge

Well it's all done & I didn't need to cut it down too much, so that was good. Had a drama with it cracking, but that's all in the boohoo room.

Ok so here it is...

Side
    Boxed Up - yep in a McBook box

Awesome job Sarah!