Thread: Invitation help

Default Invitation help

so ds birthday party isn't until the first weekend in December, but I was wondering a few things:

1. when should I send invites? some will be going to the kids at his preschool and I don't know their parents, is it still acceptable to invite these kids?
    2. how long should I give people to RSVP?
    3. I want parents to tell me if their kids have any allergies, well before the party date, how can I word this on the invite?
    4. what do I do about people who don't RSVP? still cater for them?
    5. I will be happy if siblings and parents of the invited children stay for the party, how do I word this on the invitation?

thanks I think that is all I need to know

[Q

1. when should I send invites? some will be going to the kids at his preschool and I don't know their parents, is it still acceptable to invite these kids?
    yes - they are your son's friends. you're not always going to know the parents of his friends - but this will be a good start at getting to know them!

i tend to send invites 3 to four weeks early - and have RSVP about a week before the party.
    i may send them a bit earlier than some (i let people know a while in advance of actual invites going out) but DD has family and godparents that will travel so i don't like to leave it til the last minute (and because of the travel factor, we often have a house full to overflowing over night, so i need to work out catering for party, dinner and breakfast, as well as beds - not something i want to do at the last minute!)

3. I want parents to tell me if their kids have any allergies, well before the party date, how can I word this on the invite?
    RSVP by x date, and let us know if you have any special diet needs (or similar)

i tend to over cater a little - by having extra stuff in the freezer - provided it's stuff we will use later.
    i think if you put a specific RSVP date on there, you could assume they won't be there
    i don't do loot bags for kids if they haven't rsvp'd though...

5. I will be happy if siblings and parents of the invited children stay for the party, how do I word this on the invitation?
    Dear X, DS is having a party and we'd love if you and your family would join us in celebrating...

we are having DD's party the last weekend in november and have just sent her invites out now, purely becasue of all the xmas stuff that will be happening at that time of year.
    cant help with the preschool friends DD isnt old enough yet! lol....

we have given a week, mainly because its family and a couple of friends for a BBQ, so not a massive party...

what about something like " please call me and notify me of any allergies/intollerances your child has so we can cater for them"

i tend to allow for a few that ahvnt RSVP'ed just to be safe....

another simple "please let me know if so and so's siblings would like to come also for catering purposes....

hope thats helped!

thanks ladies, just another question how long should I make the party go for? when its just family I don't put an ending time because they leave whenever, but would the friends parents like to see an end time?

For preschool age I'd keep it at 2-2.5 hours. People will probably hang back a bit later anyway. It sounds short but by the end you'll be glad! I would like to see an end time - it also tells people that they can't just rock up a hour late and expect a full-length party.

If you don't want hoards of people, don't advertise that you're happy for parents/siblings to stay - they might think the whole family is meant to come. I'd just make them feel welcome to stay when they get there.

Hope the party is lovely!

we're going to a third birthday tomorrow for about 2 hours. it will overflow. we've been asked to come around early (DD and the bday boy are besties) and there is a housewarming after dinner so we'll stay for that. i think you only really need to limit if you think people won't leave when you're ready. most people start looking to leave after cake is done, so you just time your day as you see fit with stuff like that if you don't want a regimented finish time

thanks for your replies

I decided against the finish time, I didn't want added pressure to have everything up and running before the finish time unfortunately 2 - 2.5 hrs is definately not enough time for what we have planned and I am hiring a jumping castle for 4 hours, however i don't mind if people decide to only stay for 2 hours if you know what i mean.