Thread: no-clutter present for a 2-year-old

Default no-clutter present for a 2-year-old

HELP! My baby turns 2 on Saturday and I am at a loss as to what to buy him.

He has an older brother so they already have plenty of toys (cars, trucks, pram, dolls, blocks, duplo, thomas train set, view masters, etc), he doesn't watch DVDs yet and we have an assortment of bikes, ride-in cars, scooters and the like. DH and I are not big on clutter (I am constantly culling their little annoying plastic bits that grow in their toybox) and want to avoid any loud/clanging/buzzing stuff that needs batteries - we sound like kill joys, huh?? I thought of a fold out couch but as DH pointed out they have one as well as an armchair and bean bag. He is only two and is pretty simple - he likes cuddles, his monkey, his blanket and sucking his thumb. It's not like he has hobbies, IYKWIM!

So what do I buy a boy who has heaps and needs little? I want to give him SOMETHING, and not just put $$ in his bank account. HELP!

How about an experience? A train trip? A boat ride?

A sandpit is a bit of clutter, but at least it's outside. Or a swing from a tree?

I am in a similar situation, I hate clutter and rubbish wee toys that end up broken. For Christmas I have bought my daughter a gorgeous soft hand puppet, and have done the same for my DS1's birthday a couple of months ago. They are great for cuddling as well as imaginative play and they don't break!

What about some really cool pj's and maybe a doona cover and a nice set of sheets that is just his (that is if he is in a bed)

Colouring in books and pencil case with his own special pencils are also a great hit.. A torch, a bucket and spade, new shoes, a special plate and cup, a hat, a little toy mobile phone, a pillow lol..

even a special lamp for his room.. oh and a cute cushion.. Kmart has some great pirate or dinosaur ones

Does he draw or paint pictures? For DD2's 5th birthday I got her this magnetic picture board from myer - their licorice brand stuff, and it's been great. She can put all her drawings on it and it only uses magnets so no pins to worry about. It is a girly one, but my Myer had boyish ones too. Plus I've seen other brands too from time to time. It sure beat the heck out of buying her more toys

Sounds geeky but I can't go past a beautiful book! Maybe a special birthday book or something?

books!! glorious books!!

just make sure you put an inscription in

sheets for his bed, books or summer jammies.

Rory, we have bought Olivia a cool pink car toybox for her upcoming birthday (and I will fess up, we have got her some toys as well). It is my way of saying put the toys away with it still being something cool. We got it at Kmart and I am sure they had boy versions as well.

I agree that books make a great present and I like Nics idea about bedroom furnishing.

ooh some great ideas girls - thanks heaps!!

I actually got some wall stickers today (super non-clutter, hey?) and I always buy the boys a book for their birthdays, so I'd best find one quick smart!

like I said, keep the ideas coming!!

Those wall stickers are gret - you can get blackboard ones too in funky shapes and things, and they are reusable too.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

it's the right weather for beach/pool stuff.

what about a cool set of rashie top/shorts? mikyb has cool ones for boys, they also have the best range of hats i've seen in ages.

if you want a swim nappy, check out the iPlay boardies/swim nappies, they're cool (at caluna loves). iPlay has sun safe shirts as well (long sleeve) like a rash shirt but for outdoor play, not water play).

trip to the zoo?

trip to a petting zoo (to see baby animals)

books don't take up much room

a mellow drum (low tone).

i avoid battery toys in general, i don't think they help my child at all, she turns into a brain dead zombie each time she plays with a battery powered noisy toy. Plus it's very expensive to keep buying batteries. and the noise drives me nuts!