Thread: oh no, my cake !

Default oh no, my cake !

I have spent the better part of a week planning my cake, it seems however the cake didn't rise as much as I expected.

I used two packet cake mixes to make a rectangle slab cake, but it has risen a lot on the middle and is very small at the sides. I don't think I used enough cake mix.

Do I just go with it as is? It's hilly to say the least , lol atleast it will suit the racetrack theme
    But it certainly didn't go to plan, should just ice it and be done with it?

I don't even know for sure what went wrong help?

you have 2 options...1 is to eat the dud cake and make it again...down side is you have to make it again...but upside is you get cake now!!! =)
    2nd option is to us this one, ice it really crazy like, and pretend it was meant to be like that. This way is good cause it says screw you world i will do what i want, and you get cake!!!

either way its up =)

good luck either way =)

I think a hilly racetrack will be fine (think Mt Panorama- Bathurst) or youcould slice off the hill and turn the cake over and have a smaller cake.

Dont stress hun, I am sure it will taste good and will look awesome all done!

I think ill try ice it, be back soon

Enchanted Guest

I'm sure it will all be fine!!

Post a pic if you can

sweetgloss Guest

This happened to me once, i carefully cut off the hilly bit so it was flat, baked another cake, and smeared some icing in between them and slapped it together, making it a double layer cake. then iced the whole thing

mmmmmmm, cake

Sorry, no advice but cake is yummy so if i was eating some i wouldnt care what shape it was

Probably too late, but just ice it! It will look great

By the way, it can be hard it get a large cake to rise evenly especially if you're using cake mixes, don't beat yourself up over it!

Have a great day today

thank you ladies, I didn't ice the cake straight away, I did it this morning, but my icing was a disaster, because I stupidly made it last night and put it in the fridge

then at 8am I had a meltdown and called my brother to bring over EMERGENCY BUTTER to make new icing...

I got dressed, freaked some more, and then made the best icing of my life! !

I was so relieved when it was finally done, and have taken lots of pictures to post later,

It was red, green and blue cake, with the great green icing , a grated chocolate track, cars and lifesavers for the decorations ! it was a hit ! I only have a tiny bit left.

thank you. For all your baking advice, and help when I was stressing, I won't forget it

glad it turned out for you

Sounds like it was awesome! Well done

sounds awesome!! yay!!

cant wait to see pics!!

sweetgloss Guest

Yummy!

I want cake now

Enchanted Guest

Cakes are usually salvagable, they just usually don't look as we first imagined! SO glad it all worked out!

Glad it turned out in the end

Future references, chances are the cake rose in the middle because the cake tin was too small for the amount of cake mix.

Some tips for a flat cake -

Fill up a cake tin to half, and no higher.
    Place cake in the middle of the oven.
    Place a damp/wet towel around the outside of the tin and pin it into place before going into the oven.
    If there is a hump, place a clean tea towel or simular onto the cake and carefully press down.You must do this as soon as it comes out of the oven and prob wont work for huge humps.
    Stop opening your oven to look at it!
    Dont get too temp happy, nice and slow does it