Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening Presents

I think presents are to be opened, kids are taught to be thankful but get very excited so some they open when kids give it to them, some are opened later in the party. This weekend DD has her party with 5 little friends and I think she could just open them whenever!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlotte91 View Post
    I think it's wrong to give a gift if you're only doing it to see the birthday person open it and see their face.

When/if my kids have birthday parties, they won't be opening them in front of guests.
    But part of the joy of giving is the pleasure of seeing how much the person you've chosen the gift for, loves it. It seems a rather selfish (to me) idea to not allow the giver pleasure of giving and also to encourage the person receiving the gift to thank the person for it.

Default Re: Opening Presents

l ask for no presents, but I think it depends on size of party and age of recepient. I have not been to a party yet where gifts are opened but oldest party is 4 So I think that is part of it. A large number of gifts l think is better use of party time to party and not wade through opening. If I went to a 10 year olds party with only 4 guests say l might find it odd not to open.

Default Opening Presents

I like giving presents more than receiving them! I love seeing the joy on someone's face when they open them and I like to put a lot of thought into gifts that I give.

I think it's nice to open them as you receive them when you are a child. I don't like kids presents being opened in a group incase a child feels sad that they may have given a smaller gift.

After cake and eating, so kids are less likely to be restless. Doing it that way means that everyone can see the joy and excitement, and it makes it much easier to write a list of who gave what, so that the birthday child can write thank you notes

Some of the comments here are a bit harsh. At the end of the day does it really matter?

There are lots of reasons for and against opening during the party v opening later. I don't think any mother thinks 'oh, let's see how rude I can be by not having the presents opened during the party'.

I opened DS's at home afterwards, for several reasons - including reasons to make my guests more comfortable:
    I knew there would be a variation in the amounts spent on presents. I couldn't care less about that but did not want the parents who had spent less to feel uncomfortable.
    I didn't want to embarrass anyone who brought the same gift as someone else (which did actually happen).
    I hate a roomful of people watching me while I open presents.
    People who want to see the joy of a child opening their present must never have given a present to a child they didn't like! Yes, yes, all children need to be taught to gracefully receive presents, but that's a skill learnt with age.

Surprised - when i was young mum couldnt afford presents for other kids parties so mine was the cheapest crappiest there was. I hated present opening time and was always embarrassed when it was time

Mum2SweetCs... Hugs. You were probably the only one who cared (in that no-one was judging you and the kids didn't have a clue)... But it's a horrible feeling.

we don't open at party we come home and open and I take a pic of my child with pressie and tag the mum on FB if we are friends or send them a pic wth thank you.. I am a bit fanatical and can't stand the tear presents open and not know who it was from business but that's me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12