Thread: Ready made icing

Default Ready made icing

I am making a cake for my DD2's B-day and want to use the ready made icing that you roll out and put on. They say that you must put warmed apricot jam on the cake before you put the icing on. I really don't like apricot jam or any jam for that sake. Would I be able to warm caramel and put that on instead of the jam. Would it work do you think?

You need something sticky that will stick the icing to the cake, honestly you don't taste it at all, but then again you won't want to buy a jar of jam just for one cake I think caramel will work, just make sure you spread it on very very very thinly (which you do with the jam as well), basically a thin scraping of caramel then scrap it off. Also only do it halfway down the sides because If you've accidentally put too much on it will ooze down the cake & out the bottom, not a good look

you could also use a thin layer of buttercream icing instead of jam. It will help the rolled icing to stick.

Use a buttercream or whipped ganache icing. I hate ready made icing plain it is the most disgusting thing on earth. But when you put real butter icing on underneath it actually works really well.

Oh no! I have never used ready made icing before. Why is it disgusting? Does it not taste good? I really don't want to make a cake that is not going to taste good.

I just really hate the taste of butter icing. It is too buttery for me. Is there something else that would be better? What about Betty Somebody's ready to spread icing?

It's just me and my hubby that don't like it, other people don't mind it LOL! Sorry to scare you. Break a bit off and try it. It just tastes like a mouthful of sugar to me, which isn't appealing. Lots of people eat it.

I Lurve the taste!!

I would think that Betty's icing would be fine

if it is a chocolate cake you can always use warm nutella as well