Thread: "Under the Sea" costume HELP!

Default "Under the Sea" costume HELP!

Towards the end of next month, dd will be going to a 6th birthday party, themed "under the sea", and guests are invited to dress to the theme, or, failing that, just in blue.

I have no sewing machine, and hand sewing skills that extend as far as sewing together torn jeans.

I have no idea what to dress dd as, thought a mermaid, but.... How to do the costume??? And the library is closed until Monday, and I anticipate I could be in hospital then anyway. Thought of looking through books while I'm in there.

Can anyone make some suggestions? My Mum suggesting buying a costume, but honestly! What is the point, for a one off, and for a 'topic' that dd has no real interest in? I am happy to try and make something, just not sure what or how. I love scouring our op shops for bits and pieces to use. On top of that, my phone is my only internet access unless I go to the library (which is limited to 1 hour access per day), so haven't the time to trawl through countless web pages. So, looking for suggestions, specific sites/blogs, anything, PLEASE!

Counting on you, my creative bb sisters! Help me out please! Many thanks in advance:

An Octopus? A belt with old pantyhose stuffed with newspaper to fill. Then you can papermache the outside and paint an appropriate colour and wear pants/top in the same colour...

Green seaweed. Wear green and pin green streamers to the clothes.

Starfish - can be any colour. Two large pieces of cardboard cut in the shape of a star and then some string at the top to make a frame type thing to just hang over head to sit on shoulders...

In a place where Love is what we breathe!

She coud wear a sparkly skirt for a mermaid tail, any colour you like and with its of sequins (im thinking opshop and material cut offs), with a black top and a VERY extravagent mermaid crown that you made together

A Mermaid? she could wear her bathers and you could make a tail out of shiny fabric.

BRILLIANT IDEAS! Thank you! Tinks; another thing I just remembered about the mermaid, its going to be pretty cold, so long pants will be in order, so maybr not bathers.... :/

Navy and white clothes - sailor girl???

I did a blue ring octopus for DD. I used a blue swimming ring & hung 6 knee hi panty hose stuffed with newspaper and I drew blue rings on them. I dressed her in blue clothes.

Good luck

Paint a cardboard box yellow, add some red shorts and have her go as spongebob

I meant to update and let you guys know how I went...

We all went op shopping, and found some very cool pieces to use. The first was a little jellyfish toy. It was a little beanie filled thing, with long tentacles, and a lovely rainbow fabric. I sewed some hat elastic that I had at home to it's underside (hooray for hoarding), and dd wore it as a little hat. Second was a very open knitted poncho, in a dark ocean blue/teal. It was a little on the big side, but it draped over her a bit like wavy water. Not bad buys for under $4 total.

Topped that off with about six strands of blue, purple and clear crystal beads tied into long necklaces, from the cheap shop.

From memory, she wore a dark blue long sleeve tee shirt, but I can't remember what pants or skirt she wore.

It was good however, as all but one of the other girls were dressed as mermaids.