Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We are at "that" next stage.... Help please 6th party!

I've only done at home parties since the kids were about 4. I invite a few friends and for a 6 year old I prepare a few games (pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey, etc). I tend to host parties from 4pm - 6pm so I include an evening meal which is usually mexican with crispy chicken so all the kids can help themselves and allow about half an hour for free play. It's usually enough, they love the old fashioned games and just a chance to play outside of school. My older boys don't want the games any more so it tend to be dinner and a movie, or dinner and a sleepover for even smaller numbers.

Usually the parents don't stay, and I never assume I will be staying for a kids party unless invited to.

ETA: Make your own pizza parties tend to go down well too, and last time I had a craft task of decorating their own mug to take home instead of a party bag which was popular with all the kids.

Soooo after all the stress and worrying about how many to invite - out of the 6 she's invited only 3 can come I feel a bit sad for her but am sure she will have fun. I feel bad inviting anyone else last minute like it's an afterthought but she wants to ask another friend tomorrow. Ugh I hate this "etiquette' stuff and I don't want to offend anyone!! Next year we will be in our new house (OMG purchase is about to go through!!) and we can invite her whole freaking grade if we want as we will have the space!

Its awful when they can't make it. DDs 1 and 2 had a combined small party this year and were allowed to invite three friends each - two of Miss I's couldn't make it so she invited two others, one of which could come. FWIW, she still had a ball. I also think other mums understand when you are trying to keep it small and nobody takes offence - at least that's been my experience.

I hope she has a lovely party. Our girls are growing up way too fast :-(

When is the party? We got an invite on the Wed with the party the next Sunday. It was the first day of term when we got the invite, so they would have had to hand them out before the holidays if they'd wanted to earlier. People's ideas of last minute vary. At the other end of the scale we've had invites 5 weeks early.

Default We are at "that" next stage.... Help please 6th party!

Bloomin' Harry so after posting this I text a few friends I know with peeps in the other class so they are coming too.... Then the mum of one girl who told Iz all week they she can't come IS coming! So now I have more kids than craft activities that I got in Melbourne serious silly! Looks like instead of painting a wand and a jewellery box half will do 1 and half the other..... Bring on Sunday haha!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12