Thread: What did you do for your childs 2nd Birthday party

Smile What did you do for your childs 2nd Birthday party

What was your child's 2nd birthday like?

Where?

Time/Duration?

How many guests? Did other children come

Did you combine family with friends or do seperate things?

What worked?
    What didn't work?

Did you buy them a special "gift" for their 2nd birthday like you might have for their first? If so what was it? (traditions)

this is a bit in advance my boy is only 16 months but Im trying to plan ahead with any good ideas

Where? our house. I will be converting the formal lounge/dining area into a party room. I'm going to hire 2 tables with chairs (kids size), have balloons, etc to make it look really pretty. I have on rotation 3 kids cd's for music. And I always have a few games as there are some older kids that will be there.

Time/Duration? 10am

How many guests? usually around 10-15 adults and their kids (8-10 kids)
    Did other children come? Yes

Did you combine family with friends or do seperate things? We always combine and just have the one party

What worked? I get a hot nibblies food platter from Lenards, cheerios, chips, fruit etc for food.

What didn't work? I'm pretty organised, so always goes to plan

Did you buy them a special "gift" for their 2nd birthday like you might have for their first? If so what was it? (traditions) We don't have any traditions. No idea what we're going to get Emily yet.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Where? - home

Time/Duration? - 3pm (after lunch & DD's "nap time")

How many guests? Did other children come - 13 adults, about 10 kids (mixture of ages from 2-10)

Did you combine family with friends or do seperate things? - Yes, but the family stayed for a few hours after the friends left.

What worked? - my friend who did face painting

What didn't work? - giving the kids noisy toys as prizes

Did you buy them a special "gift" for their 2nd birthday like you might have for their first? If so what was it? (traditions) - no, in fact because we'd spoiled our daughter a lot between Christmas and her birthday we didn't give her any presents on the actual day...we kind of gave her what we intended as her birthday present about 3 weeks early

smiles4u Guest

Lightbulb

My DD loved Bob the Builder at the time so we had a Bob the Builder themed party for her 2nd birthday

Had it inside our small house as it was cold & raining that day and we only had 3 friends of her friends with both their parents (total 4 kids & 6 adults) ... sadly no relatives came as they couldn't be bothered traveling

We had it on a Sunday at 12noon so her little toddler friends could get home for their arvo naps ... BUT it ended up finishing after 4pm !!

... played pass the parcel game (had a boxes within each other individually wrapped looking like bricks) ... i can vouch that the pass the parcel doesn't work with 2year olds.

(**** by the time she had her 3year old b'day " In the Night Garden " themed party she had heaps more friends, 13 kids & 16 adults, had on a Saturday in our large newish garage & started at 1pm ****)

DD's 2nd birthday was very quiet. My mum had just received a transplant after waiting almost 10 years. We went out for dinner with the IL's, BIL and wife, and DD's godfather. I made a Hi-5 hand, as she loved Hi-5. We then took her to a Hi-5 concert a few days before her birthday.

I am still getting over the 1st birthday party! LOL!

But great thread that i will subscribe too!

Where? Hungry Jack’s. We had a Thomas themed party, you can have one of their themes or do your own.

Time/Duration? 5pm - 6.30pm

How many guests? 8 children & 7 adults.

Did you combine family with friends or do separate things? Combined but no family ended up coming.

What worked? Everything it was great. It was cheap, $5.25 a child. The party host set everything up and cleaned up. All the kids had great fun. I made a thomas cake and they stored it for the day. We took nibbles, fairy bread, lollies, chips and they were fine with it. We are going back next year it was so easy and Harrison had so much fun.

My kids 2nd birthdays are always a disaster for reasons I will not bore you with, so for the twins I took them to a playcentre for lunch, and brought a chocolate cake. I invited 1 friend, and her 4 kids, plus my own 4 kids. I find too many people can get stressful for a 2 year old and a lower key celebration is more my style anyway.

The twins had a better time at their celebration than my boys did at their parties which ended in tears (me).

My DD's 2nd birthday is still a few months away, but have found some great ideas in this thread! Will watch this with interest

Where? At home in our backgarden (mid Sept so weather was good)

Time/Duration?: 2 hours, mid afternoon on a Sunday, those that wanted to stayed on a bit longer (I always have a pot of hearty hot soup as back-up nourishment in case anyone has drunk too much and needs solid food before going home LOL)

How many guests? Did other children come About 20 guests of which about 7 were children (mostly family & friends) plus my 2 kids

Did you combine family with friends or do seperate things? This was DD2's first birthday party back in our home state so family & friends together

What worked? We did an "in the night garden theme' - I digitised a photo of DD2 into an ITNG picture for the invitations, and I did iggle piggle biscuits - gingerbread men iced blue with a red lolly stuck to one hand, iced cakes with smarty flowers on them in tombliboo colours. We had simple snacks like hot savories (puffy dogs, mini quiches, party pies), DH's home made pizza, and dips. Rule for kids parties - bring savories out first and withhold sweets until everyone's eaten - stops them going beserko . I bought clear plastic cups and decorated them with ITNG stickers, then added red and orange flower icecubes (made from ribena & orange cordial) & lemonade & curley straws. The littlies mostly never have softdrink so a glass of lemonade AND a curley straw = big hit LOL. Lemonade, champagne, tea and brewed coffee for the grown ups.

Activities: We hung loads of brightly coloured streamers and balloons from the hillhoist for the kids to play under. I made an iggle piggle boat out of a large cardboard box (spray painted blue) and we also had a pop up tent and crawl-thru tube, and I got these amazing huge balloons (they blow up to a meter) from cheap as chips. ITNG masks for the little kids. Bottles of bubble mix. We let the kids loose in the yard and they entertained themselves. There are older girls in the family, they are always fantastic at organising group play and making sure everyone gets included, kwim, so think about having a range of ages at your DS's party.

Take home gifts - we sent home an iced iggle piggle biscuit, some stickers and about 3 lollies done up nicely in a clear cellophane bag - as well as an ITNG mask & left over bubble bottle - hot tip: use half a fancy pipecleaner to tie the party bags as it's much quicker than sticky tape/ribbon but still looks nice.

What didn't work? I had more fabulous things planned but due to my treatment wasn't able to organise them all...it also meant we were very pressed for time on the day.

Did you buy them a special "gift" for their 2nd birthday like you might have for their first? If so what was it? (traditions) No traditions, but we had a cake with candles and our presents to her with her aunty & cousin on her actual birthday - because I was having medical treatment the party had to wait 10 days.
    Last edited by AnyDream; May 31st, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

We had 2 parties...one was friends wiht kids then a picnic with family

Where? our backyard

Time/Duration?um I think it was 2pm and for a few hours

How many guests? Did other children come um yup kids everywhere..so maybe 10 adults and 12 kids i think???

Did you combine family with friends or do seperate things? Seperate...kids wiggles party with all the trimings bouncing castle baloons party food...then a family picnic wiht just opur kids and rellies (no one has kids but us)

What worked? I liked having the 2 cause the party was jsut that a kids party...no alcohol etc then the picnic i spose was more grown up?
    What didn't work? um nothing really I proabably would have had more stuff for the kids to do

Did you buy them a special "gift" for their 2nd birthday like you might have for their first? If so what was it? (traditions) Hmm nope pooor DS only got a cpt feathersword hat and sword lol

Good luck! Hope it all runs smoothly x

We are having our Party at the beach, it's 5 minutes away from home and there's a great grasses area right at the beach with bbqs and tables.

I have invited about 25 people including family, and we will be having a sausage sizzle and party food and I'm doing a CARS theme. We have lots of decorations to take downthere early and I'm making all the food myself and the cake.

we are very excited, but I'm stressing that I'm not organized enough as it's not this Sunday but the one after.....
    I cant believe he will be two next Tuesday.........

We are having our Party at the beach, it's 5 minutes away from home and there's a great grasses area right at the beach with bbqs and tables.

I have invited about 25 people including family, and we will be having a sausage sizzle and party food and I'm doing a CARS theme. We have lots of decorations to take downthere early and I'm making all the food myself and the cake.

we are very excited, but I'm stressing that I'm not organized enough as it's not this Sunday but the one after.....
    I cant believe he will be two next Tuesday.........

Naw I remember when you put the thread up ages ago. How amazing that your little man is almost 2 now!!

I have no idea what I will do for Orlando's 2nd birthday. His bday is wednesday fortnight, but my due date is the Sunday straight after and I've already been having contractions. I want to organise something but I'm worried that I will end up having to cancel it.

Ooh Ella, any time now hey? I definitely wouldn't be planning a party In labour lol

we are set to go, I did a big shop today and got some treats for the party bags and pass the parcel
    There are about 7 children and about 16 adults I think.... Will have to check the RSVP list ! Lol

Yup anytime. I'm having a little party for him Sunday but the only complex thing I'm doing is the cake apart from that its going to be nice and simple.

Woo hoo very excited for you! Hope it all goes super well!

So we will both be baking Like mad and partying with our 2 yr olds on Sunday..... YAY!!!!!!!!!

Btw had my son at 38 weeks 5 day after four days of contractions, best of luck babe xx