Thread: What icing do I need to use?

Default What icing do I need to use?

My DS has asked for a digger cake for his birthday - Holy Cow!!! I'm fairly sure I have it planned in my head but I am struggling with what to do for the arm & bucket. My plan is to make it out of icing but I don't know what the icing is called or where I get it from - off to a good start, LOL!!
    So what is the icing that you can make figurines out of? And where can I get it?

Thanks.

Default What icing do I need to use?

It's called marzipan =] and I have no idea where to get it I'm sure cake stores would have it =] hope this helps

Nope, use fondant - its kinda like working with playdoh Most Cooking or Cake Shops sells Tub of it ready made (and pre coloured if you want too)

Google fondant cakes or working with fondant, or making fondant characters or something of the like and you should find plenty of You Tube tutorials.

Best thing is you can do it days in advance

agree with the fondant. My tip is to wear gloves if you're colouring it yourself. I had blue hands for days! Or go the easier road and buy in the colour/s you want

Thanks ladies I love the idea of being able to make it in advance

Yes fondant! You can buy it from Safeway. The brand is orchard white icing. Don't buy the marzipan by mistake.