Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the Family...

Default Back in the Family...

Hi All

Not sure whether this is OK, but here goes. I am officially back in the family of God. The last few years I have been backslidden, and in that time I got married. I've been feeling really empty lately and started reading my bible again, and began to remember the peace and love and joy that I had in God. I'm really confused about why I left in the first place! I've started praying again, praying for forgiveness and direction, and now I feel great. I've accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour (yippee!!!) and I am covered by his blood once again.

I also believe God is working in my husband, because he also came to me saying he is feeling empty and we have been talking about God together.

I'm scared / anxious about how I am going to cope making a declaration of faith to my family, because I feel like they are going to reject me like they did the first time, but I believe by faith that at the beginning of each day God will give me the strength to get through that day.

I'm at the beginning again, relearning about the grace of God, but I'm finally at peace. Just wanted to get that out....

Oscaroscar, welcome back.

I can't really say too much - I'm in a pretty rough place myself at the moment, struggling with my faith and with God and the path I am travelling with IVF and infertility, and I just don't have the right words - but I did want to encourage you that my family too gave me a hard time when I made it clear to them that God was a part of my life now. There's been many rough moments where they've got a little shirty about things, but after ten long years they now accept that this is the way myself and my DH live our lives. They still think of us as a little odd, but they accept it - just as long as we don't make any attempts to convert them!

That feeling of peace is so precious - I hope you manage to hold on to it and nurture it. I also hope the discussions with your husband are fruitful.

BW

Thanks BW. Although it sucks that your family gave you a hard time :hugs:, it's nice to know I am not the only one. Last time I shared my faith, my mum decided she also wanted to go to church, but Dad threatened to divorce her if she did.

The last time we were all in church together was when a family baby was christened, and while we were in the church my grandfather had a stroke and died. Ahhh....

So it's a VERY touchy subject in our family :s.

Good luck for your IVF stuff. It must really really test your faith!

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 18th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.

You go Oscargirl - there is no better place to be than walking beside our amazing God!!!

Both my hubby and I are the only Christians in our families and it is hard sometimes, especially knowing that without God there is no hope. We have been hassled about church, our children, our lifestyle, etc but over the years they have also seen that we have something good and are secure in our faith and family.

The thing I have found helpful for me is God first, then our family (that includes as the Bible says, to be keepers at home, training our chhildren, etc), then the church. God created the family before the church.

Hey OscarOscar That's really great to hear! Make sure and pop in when things are getting tough, or when you're feeling weak - we're here to support each other.

For us, the struggle is to keep reading our bible! The bible talks about Jesus being the vine and us being branches, that is, branches can't survive without being connected to the vine...but oh to be disciplined is hard sometimes!

Anyway, it's great that you're reconnecting - better the struggles of living with God than the struggles of living without God.

Yeh I struggle with Bible time as well, I do it with the kids but it is harder to find time to do it for myself!

oscaroscar- wow that is great news, good on you. my family dont understand , i think they can see how much better my life if with God in it. i find it hard to find time to read the bible , but i do make the effort to go to church on wednesday night and sunday, or chuch is so great and the people are so kind, they were so supportive when i had my M/C.

Congratulations oscaroscar, I think that's great!
    IKWYM about family. I don't really talk about it with them coz I feel like they think we're stupid or don't believe me that I actually believe in God, etc, especially the IL's, which is pretty sad.

My dh has been away for 2 weeks looking at mission work in Thailand/Burma he is back tomorrow and I can't wait!!!

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 18th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Actually I'm not going to church, just back with God IYKWIM. I'm really scared that this won't stick

ikwym oscaroscar. We don't go to church either. I haven't found one that I like

Mission work - we have been praying and working towards going to Asia for 2 years now and it is getting closer to a reality. We are looking up setting up base on the Thai side of the Burmese border with a Lisu tribe. Praying that we will be there by this time next year God willing.

Oscaroscar, welcome back!

My DH is also disillusioned with the Church and so only attends once a month or so, but it's so hard explaining that he's a Christian who doesn't attend Church all the time! Especially when DS and I are churchgoers. We "can't" tell PiL we go to Church, although they know it, but at least my family are OK with it.

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 18th, 2008 at 06:33 PM.

I feel like God is telling me to 'get over it' and go back to church to maintain the fellowship with the saints. I have no idea how to do this, I'm really really not looking forward to walking into a church where i know no-one, and having to explain my story (which I am ashamed of).

I also feel like God wants me to talk to my family and tell them of my re-committment, and to talk to them not in philosophical / religious terms, but tell them of my personal experience with God. This is so hard because I'm exposing so much of myself and I'm open to ridicule and embarrasment. I'm praying that their hearts are softened, but somehow I feel like they wont exactly embrace this with open arms.

We also have the work xmas party coming up this week, and the minute I reach for the coke instead of beer, there will be questions, in public, and again I feel like God is asking me to share my experience, and not just answer with a philosphical discussion.

I am so frustrated that I am an infant in faith again! *sigh* where is the magic faith pill? Can we just fast-forward through this painful process where our lives are changed from the old to the new?

Knowing that it's a painful process doesn't remove the need to go through the process itself.

I recall feeling similar just after my first miscarriage - I knew I'd get through it and be ok at some point, so I just wanted to fast forward to the ok bit. Unfortunately, the process itself, no matter how slow or painful, is where the teaching comes from. God will use your pain to teach you something you need to know - you can't speed it up, you can't change it, you just need to endure.

Hang on and enjoy the ride, if you will!

You have plenty of support here if/when you need it.

BW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast