Thread: Christianity and Politics.

Default Christianity and Politics.

I'm examining my feelings toward the perception that all Christians are perceived as "right wing", conservative and are intolerant of anything but their perception of what is "normal". I'm hearing it time after time, especially in the news "Right-wing-Christian-Fundamentalists...". I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure there are left wing Christians... infact i'm sure my minister is one. Anyhow I also think that there should be a degree of separation of church and state and that it's not particularly helpful when religious groups start to get involved in politics? Or is this ok? What do people think?

FWIW I've never thought of all Christains as right wing. The links between the Catholic Church and early trade unionism or revolutionary priests in South and Central America seem to be to be ample evidence of a left/liberal tendency in Christianity.
    I think it's ok when religious groups get involved in politics. It's just another way of looking at the world. If people of faith were barred from politics that would only leave athiests and you can't convince me that Mao's athiest world view lead China into a secularist utopia.

Honestly, I'm yet to make up my mind about it all...

Growing up in the US had jaded me a bit, my family in particular are right wing conservative and would consider it their "Christian duty" to be so. I myself have always been a greeny...

I think policies in politics is where things get muddled up. I personally would rather someone be pro-choice, not because I support abortions, but because I support women being educated to make their decisions. I don't think anyone should be judged by anyone else, its up to God.

I guess another side of what makes up my thoughts on this is living in a country where you fought to be able to talk about what you believe in at school. I think separation of church and state can be dangerous to faith. Sometimes people can get so caught up in the "fight" that they forget who Jesus is, and what He stood for. He didn't stay quiet, he stood up, he spoke up... I remember some school mates drawing up petitions to the local council because they wanted to pray at school and having other students mock them & then fights & arguments over prayer taking priority. Do you think Jesus would fight about whether or not we should be allowed to pray in school? I reckon he would just do it, and not make a big scene... maybe wander off into the desert for 40 days or something. I just saw too much of that caused by the whole separation thing.... it left a bitter taste in my mouth for other Christians and I got quite jaded about the whole thing.

The whole green issue is another thing, it doesn't appear to be touched by right wing politicians but if you think about it, we are responsible for the earth, its not something we should ignore...

Okay I could babble on and on & I hope I haven't offended anyone... just my personal ramblings.

Thanks girls You've both made some good points and have got me thinking that yes; religion and politics should and can work together hand in hand for the people. Chloe you've made me think of the monks in Burma... how they certainly aren't laying down and copping it anymore. Christy: I remember a time when we all said prayers at my public primary school in the 1970's. it was stopped when I was in about grade 3. We said a prayer of thanks at lunchtime which i especially think was a wonderful thing. The spiritual desert that is our public schools these days is a real worry.... but many parents prefer it that way i guess. Sometimes I think that it wouldn't matter aspect of spirituality was taught but there should be something. Just my opinion. Ideally children should learn a little about all religions and have the opportunity to learn more about their own families belief in separate classrooms. This is what happened at my primary school.... it was called "scripture".

If a person takes their religious beliefs seriously, how can it not be a part of their politics? And is it any different than say an atheist political leader? Both are driven or guided by their beliefs. I also do not believe separation of church and state means no religion in the government or government allowed religious services/symbols. I believe that (US constitution perspective) that the government is not to pick a religious establishment and sanction it and push / force that religious denomination on to its people. What’s interesting in the US is that every one points to how government is not to in essence pick a religion but they forget the rest of the sentence which says government shall not impede religion. Also the phrase "separation of church and state" in the US never was written or uttered in the constitution, but in a letter to James Madison by a group of Baptist folk who thought that now that they had a likeminded person in the white house he could make the Baptist church a government sponsored church basically.

In the US usually it is the political liberals and the media that claims every Christian is a right wing Christian nut. In reality, regardless of democrat or republican, right or left many Americans share the same general conservative slants on many issues are just common folk wanting to better themselves and their families. Sad to say there are some religious groups that get involved in politics that stir that view point up and probably cause more harm than good and I would say would be even more dangerous if they were in power.

Personally I have no problem with religion and politics so long as it is with a since hearted Christian leader who wants God to be his guide and uses his Christian values to make some very important decisions. I would rather live with that then with a leader who does not walk the Christian talk or who does not believe in a God or the values of life and a persons spirituality. But I guess thats just me. i would not want a group or a person such as the United States Pat Robertson as a leader though.

Thanks Rob A very interesting US perspective. It's just a tad chaotic here ATM for me to construct a more considered response but I agree with many of your points and also wondered how it fitted into your constitution... you're right, I'd never heard that second half of the phrase about not "impeding" religion.