Thread: Christmas

Post Christmas

Just a couple of things about Christmas that I thought were nice and wanted to share.

'Twas The Night Before Jesus Came'

'Twas the night before Jesus came and all through the house
    Not a creature was praying, not one in the house.
    Their Bibles were lain on the shelf without care
    In hopes that Jesus would not come there.

The children were dressing to crawl into bed.
    Not once ever kneeling or bowing a head.
    And Mum in her rocker with baby on her lap
    Was watching the Late Show while I took a nap.

When out of the East there arose such a clatter.
    I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter.
    Away to the window I flew like a flash,
    Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash!

When what to my wondering eyes should appear
    But angels proclaiming that Jesus was here.
    With a light like the sun sending forth a bright ray
    I knew in a moment this must be THE DAY!

The light of His face made me cover my head
    It was Jesus! returning just like He said.
    And though I possessed worldly wisdom and wealth,
    I cried when I saw Him in spite of myself.

In the Book of Life which He held in His hand
    Was written the name of every saved man.
    He spoke not a word as He searched for my name;
    When He said "it's not here" my head hung in shame.

The people whose names had been written with love
    He gathered to take to His Father above.
    With those who were ready He rose without sound.
    While all the rest were left standing around.

I fell to my knees, but it was too late;
    I had waited too long and thus sealed my fate.
    I stood and I cried as they rose out of sight;
    Oh, if only I had been ready tonight.

In the words of this poem the meaning is clear;
    The coming of Jesus is drawing near.
    There's only one life and when comes the last call
    We'll find that the Bible was true after all!

The Real Meaning of CHRISTmas

Just a week before Christmas I had a visitor. This is how it happened. I just finished the household chores for the night and was preparing to go to bed when I heard a noise in the front of the house.
    I opened the door to the front room, and to my surprise, Santa himself stepped out from behind the Christmas tree. He placed his finger over his mouth so I would not cry out. "What are you doing?" I started to ask him. The words choked in my throat, as I saw he had tears in his eyes. His usual jolly manner was gone. Gone was the eager boisterous soul we all know. He then answered me with a simple statement, TEACH THE CHILDREN!
    I was puzzled: What did he mean? He anticipated my question, and with one quick movement brought forth a miniature toy bag from behind the tree. As I stood there bewildered, Santa said, Teach the Children! Teach them the old meaning of Christmas. The meaning that a now-a-day Christmas has forgotten!
    Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a FIR TREE and placed it on the mantle. Teach the Children that the pure green color of the stately fir tree remains green all year round, depicting the everlasting hope of mankind. All the needles point heavenward, making it a symbol of man's thoughts turning toward heaven.
    He again reached into his bag and pulled out a brilliant STAR. Teach the Children that the star was the heavenly sign of promises long ago. God promised a Savior for the world, and the star was the sign of fulfillment of that promise.
    He then reached into the bag and pulled out a CANDLE. Teach the Children that the candle symbolizes that Christ is the light of the world, and when we see this great light we are reminded of He who displaces the darkness.
    Once again he reached into his bag and then removed a WREATH and placed it on the tree. Teach the Children that the wreath symbolizes the eternal nature of love. Real love never ceases. Love is one continuous round of affection.
    He then pulled out from his bag an ornament of HIMSELF. Teach the Children that Santa Claus symbolizes the generosity and good will we feel during the month of December.
    He reached in again and pulled out a HOLLY LEAF. Teach the Children the holly plant represents immortality. It represents the crown of thorns worn by our Savior. The red holly berries represent blood shed by Him.
    Next he pulled out a GIFT from the bag and said, "Teach the Children that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift. Teach the Children that the wise men bowed before the holy babe and presented Him with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. We should give gifts in the same spirit as the wise men."
    Santa then reached in his bag and pulled out a CANDY CANE and hung it on the tree. Teach the Children that the candy cane represents the shepherd's crook. The crook on the shepherd's staff helps bring back strayed sheep from the flock. The candy cane is the symbol that we are our brother's keeper.
    He reached in again and pulled out an ANGEL. Teach the Children that it was the angels that heralded in the glorious news of the Savior's birth. The angels sang 'Glory to God in the highest, on earth, peace and good will.'
    Suddenly I heard a soft twinkling sound, and from his bag he pulled out a BELL. Teach the Children that as the lost sheep are found by the sound of a bell, it should bring people to the fold. The bell symbolizes guidance and return.
    Santa looked at the tree and was pleased. He looked back at me and I saw the twinkle was back in his eyes. He said, "Remember, teach the Children the true meaning of Christmas, and not to put me in the center, for I am but a humble servant of the One who is, and I bow down and worship Him, our Lord, our God."

aww...I love these, they give me goose bumps. Does anyone have any others they can share?

No one? C'mon, get in the spirit people! lol.

Ok I'll play I love everything Christmas but this year I wanted to find a book that we would read to Izzy each year and I found Room for a Litle One by Martin Waddell and it's gorgeous! It was nice to find a nativity book - as I didn't particularly want one that was all about Santa (not that I have anything against him - we will leave him some beer and chips out and a stocking to fill! )Can't wait til Christmas Eve so we can read it to her!!!

Aww...I just googled it and it looks gorgeous!

We don't believe in Santa,so I have no stories about him, but there is a beautiful book called Mortimer's Christmas that tells about a mouse looking for a new home and he takes up residence in the nativity scene, anyway he keeps putting all the figurines out so he can live there until one night he hears the Christmas story of Jesus being born in the manager, and how Mary and Joseph were not allowed in any of the inns. The mouse feels sad and explains to the baby Jesus figurine that he deserves to stay there more than him, and he won't kick him out. I don't know if you have read it before, but you should be able to get it at your library. It is so lovely and the kids love it. It always brings a little tear to my eye. thanks for sharing everyone

Thanks Sarah for the tree thing. We are moving to Thailand Dec 08 and ondering what to do with Christmas. e don't really do Christmas here but in Thailand the only Christmas stuff that seems to be there is Santa. Most Thais are buddists and there religion is a very visual one where as Christianity (bar catholicism) is not, by faith we believe. We were thinking of doing a tree using the decorations, etc as symbols of Christ. We have a nativity scene and we tend to do the Passover at Easter because of the symbolism, etc. Any more ides would be good.

Just wanted to say that although its now well after Christmas, I just read your story you found SaraJane and its wonderful. Ive never known alot about these items and their true meanings and im now keen to teach my children fully about the meanings behind these.

Im lucky that my children do know the True meaning of Christmas, They still believe in Santa but my eldest is keen to keep reminding everyone that Christmas is not about Santa or the Presents but about the Birth of Jesus Christ, He is only 7.

Oh, that's so cute emma! That's great that he knows about Jesus, I'm sure most kids that age would be more interested in the presents, well done!