Thread: Easter

Default Easter

Thought I might start a thread on this seeing as it's soon.
    I'm curious about what other Christians do at easter. It is supposed to be the most important Holy Day in the Christian calendar but I guess for some it doesn't feel like that b/c it gets outshone by Christmas (IMO).
    So...do you do anything different than others to make it special, do you attend church? Share your family traditions!!

I will start, tho it's not really so much about Easter. We do spend easter with family as they celebrate it but it's mainly about giving easter eggs and eating as much chocolate as you can, rofl. However, over the last couple of years, DH and I have been actually observing passover as the time when Jesus was crucified. So we get to spend Easter with family but we actually sit down and have our own little version of a passover service on the day when it happened which is really nice and works for us. We follow a little passover service I found somewhere which imitates what Jesus did at the last supper, e.g. footwashing and stuff and has readings and prayers about the meaning of His death, etc. I think it's really nice and gives us a chance to think about Easter/Passover properly away from all the crazyness and chocolate of my family, rofl.

So...please share your stories!

What a great thread!

We don't do anything in particular as yet, other than going to church on Friday and Sunday. Last year we started a family friday where we made our own chocolates we also decided to do the whole easter bunny thing on Saturday for 2 reasons 1. If it is on Sunday I think that it can take away some of the real meaning of the day 2. We are less likely to have psyco sugar filled kids to deal with at church

I love the idea of the passover and will be really interested in finding out what others do too. Maybe I'll go do some research and start some of the Passover traditions this year!

Thankyou for sharing Tam, I love hearing about what other people do!
    Having the chocolate on the Saturday is a good idea. And making home made chocolates, yummo!!!!

aww....no one else wants to share?

Hmm...a question I was just pondering. Wondering if anyone has an answer.

We celebrate (probably not the right word) Jesus death on Good friday, and then resurrection on Easter Sunday right.

The bible says he rose on the third day. So if he died friday night and rose sunday morning, how is that 3 days? That's only 1 1/2 days.

Hi there

Just thought Id pop in and give my little 2c worth

As for the question about the death and resurrection of Christ, Back then the time ( 24hr) time didnt excist. So I know he died on Friday 1 day they class that, Saturday 2, and sunday 3. I know its hard to understand but the time frame wasnt the same.

Oh and didnt die friday night. It was 3pm. And where does it say he rose sunday morning. I dont think it does say that.

Hope this helps.

This is a hard one. But evern harder, what about the Holy Trinaty...lol...now that is a doosy

Hey Missy, thanks for your reply!!

Back then I actually think they counted the days from sunset to sunset. So at sundown that was the start of one day and it ended the next day at sundown?? And in the bible I'm pretty sure it says they went to his tomb in the morning and he wasn't there, he had risen. So he had already risen some time before they got there in the morning.
    So that can't be 3 days?? Know what I mean?

Oh totally hun I know what you mean. Its hard to understand, I just know that we are meant to take each day ( now matter how short or long the day is) as one day. So Fri, sat, sun, is 3 days. I guess we will never really know until the end yeah.

Ill check the bible about the moring bit. Now you got me thinking.

BBl with a reply....lol

Ive checked the bible and this is what follows.

Now late in the night of the sabbath, as the first day of the week.
    ( so i guess it was night when Mary Magdalene came). Oh well as I said we will only know at the end
    Last edited by Missy; March 20th, 2008 at 10:47 AM.

Hey guys! I only just found this thread, but I thought I'd reply

As far as Easter traditions go, we usually go to church on the Friday morning and the Sunday morning (sometimes night too!) but our church have special services both mornings.

We have special musical items, a testimony and usually a drama in there too. These services usually have short messages as there are lots of people who come that don't usually attend church. This year we have a theme for the Friday - the garden of Gethsemane - its going to be awesome! The Friday services are always very powerful and moving.

Most of our family live in Melb so its usually a quiet weekend, but that's actually nice.

Hey sneaky

I love the themes. I think they are the best.

We have friday 3pm mass for the passon, sat or sunday for easter sunday and also thurs night for last supper.

We like the our mass and easter is a big part of our lifes too.

I attended the early service this morning... just me for a change (left the kids at home with DH)... then I'll take the older 2 on Sunday for the service then after their egg hunt.

I also like to read the The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe book (I have a picture book version, simplified) to my children as I think it is a wonderful analogy of the death and resurrection of Christ. I was thinking I might buy it on DVD too. The author, C.S Lewis is one of my favourite theological authors too. He explains the Holy Trinity really well in one of his theological books.

From what I understand, when we die our spirit can exist in several "formats" simultaneously. The father, The Son, and the Holy Ghost is an example of this division of spirit. I think it kind of explains reincarnation (for me) because I definitely see a bit of my Nana's spirit in my oldest son.... but I think part of her spirit is also in heaven and another part is with the people she loves. It's a bit like how on earth we are like a two dimensional square, drawn on a piece of paper... when we die our spirits become like 3D cubes... kinda like what we were on earth but "more so". So when we die our spirit has a greater dimension. I do think that when God sent his 'son' down to Earth he allowed a bit of his Almighty spirit to be born into him so that he could empathsise with the human condition. Jesus (I think) was an embodiment of a bit of God... he was still human, this is why he said "God, why have you forsaken me!?" just before he died on the cross.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Well, Easter has just been and gone!

We attended Good Friday and Easter Day services, and from Palm Sunday to Easter Day we read DS's Easter Bible book to him as well as his Children's Bible Easter story - which we spread out over a few days as he won't sit still for that long!

The three days were three Jewish days - day starts at nightfall. So Friday was day one, Saturday was day 2, and "from the night of the Sabbeth" (the means Saturday night - Saturday being the Jewish Sabbeth) Sunday was day 3. So on the third day he rose again. I know it's odd to think that 7pm Thursday is actually Friday, but it works! Jesus was still dead nightfall on Saturday, so he was dead at the start of Sunday.

My understanding of the trinity is as follows:
    If I can be Rosehip the daughter, Rosehip the wife, Rosehip the sister, Rosehip the mother, Rosehip the friend... then why can't God be Father, Son and Holy Ghost? It's just a different way of looking at Him and relating to Him. People relate to you differently when they see you as "X's daughter" to when they see you as "Y's wife" and differently again as "Z's Mummy". God is, I think, so much more than me, so much more than just Father, Son and Holy Ghost... but we're just not able to understand it, so this simplification will have to do.