Thread: Newborn Religion/Christening Issue

Default Newborn Religion/Christening Issue

Hi all,
    I have a bit of a delima.
    I am Greek Orthodox, hub is Catholic.
    We cant agree on which of our faiths we will have bub christened so I am willing to have her christened in something else altogether, that way both will be happy.
    I do not believe in what my christened faith teaches and feel hubs faith can be a little fanatical (sorry no offence intended).
    I am happy for bub to be taught about God and Jesus and religion but dont want it drummed into her. I want her to know (when old enough to understand) that it is just one possibilty, that no one knows the truth for sure and we are all entitled to believe in what we like.
    Therefore I dont want Cathlicism or anything else to be drummed into her at a young age.
    Yet I want her to go to a private school, I believe better schooling, yet they are all religious.
    My questions are:
    1. We were thinking of Anglican school and christening. Is it silly for her to be christened completely different to her parents?
    2. Is the Anglican practice....more um....mellow?
    Hope this makes sense, Any thoughts are appreciated
    Thanks for opinions

I think each church and school vary, depending on the people in that particular church or school.

Do Anglican schools require people to be christened? I think Catholic schools do?
    Do you need to get bub christened at all? Why are you doing it? Sorry about the 20 questions, just trying to get a better understanding.

Hi nelle,

From my own experience i have found the orthodox religion to be the most "open minded" so to speak (no offence anyone!!).

I myself was also brought up Orthodox (serbian orthodox) and i believe we are very similar to the greek.

I too do not want any particular religion drilled into any of my kids (my faith myself is somewhat shady and i think it is very, very important for children to choose their own faith, if any, after having been exposed to study of as many religions as possible).

Having said that, i do believe in a christening - not so much for the introduction to one religion or another, but as a ceromony of introductin to "goodness". Just my interpretation of a christening.

My DD was christened Orthodox, and thsi was not a problem with my x. However my now DF was raised catholic (however is a non believer) and isnt really open to our baby being christened orthodox. Unfortunately he will just have to get over that , because its one thing i feel very strongly about ( i mean, how are a few drops of "cleanising" holy water going to compare to a full dunking of bubs? LOL).

I am really interested to see what sort of a "medium" you guys can come to......

I had some questions of my own, you may find what some people have to say interesting
    http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/chri...-baptised.html

My parents were C of E and I went to an Anglican school called NEGS. It didn't expect it's students to be baptised. It did offer baptism each year for any students who chose it and confirmation.
    Differant schools will probably have different policies.
    The Anglican church is pretty relaxed. Of course every community has its share of crazies so it's probably no exception but I didn't find it very full-on.They're usually open to Christians from other sects joining them for services.
    They do have communion like Catholics with the wine and bread.

ETA - as this question is more spiritual than party planning I'm going to pop it into the Christianity forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    I think each church and school vary, depending on the people in that particular church or school.

Do Anglican schools require people to be christened? I think Catholic schools do?
    Do you need to get bub christened at all? Why are you doing it? Sorry about the 20 questions, just trying to get a better understanding.
    Hi Nelle,
    I agree each church/school varies. I am not sure if anglican schools require christening although on the form they ask if bub is baptised & which religion. Catholic schools generally don't demand it but it helps if you are. I went to a catholic primary school and was ableto attend church and partake in seremonies, but not take communion.
    We dont have to have bub christened, but I know hub will throw a tanti if we dont. The mums would prefer it too. I think it is noice to have some type of 'grounding' I just dont want it to be too demanding or steadfast. I am not dead against a christening, just dont really want her to be catholic because of my own experiences with the faith.
    No probs with the questions =) I did ask for comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt3n View Post
    I too do not want any particular religion drilled into any of my kids (my faith myself is somewhat shady and i think it is very, very important for children to choose their own faith, if any, after having been exposed to study of as many religions as possible).

Having said that, i do believe in a christening - not so much for the introduction to one religion or another, but as a ceromony of introductin to "goodness". Just my interpretation of a christening.
    Hi Kitt3n,
    I agree, that is my thought exactly. I want my children to learn about many religions and make up their own mind, just as I have.
    I also believe more in the spiritual side, it is important to be a good person with good values/morals. A christening means the same to me as you.

Dachlostar,
    I was wondering if the Anglican church was relaxed or not. I think that is part of what I am concerned about. Thanks for your imput.

soz oopsie

Hmn... just a thought - i just did a google search on Pagan Christening and found this:

Wiccaning - A pagan form of Christening. Unlike a Christening though, the child is placed in the care of the Goddess and God, not declared to be a Pagan. The child is free to chose whichever religion they like, but a Wiccaning is done to protect them until they are old enough to become Pagan themselves.

Maybe this is something you can explore?

Perhaps look into a baby dedication, instead of christening? That may sit better with you, as you're not promising anything on behalf of the child... it's more about what you're going to do than about the child IYKWIM.