Thread: Relationships and Christianity

Default Relationships and Christianity

Is there any of you Christians partnered with atheists? How does your relationship handle the hurdles and what do you do in regards to bringing up the children in your relationship? Ultimately do these relationships survive?

Also what pickle am I in with god being in a relationship with my partner living common law with him and making babies but still married to my ex. What does the bible say about that and where do I find it?

I am very much on my L's

Sarah, you may want to look up 1 Corinthians chapter 7, verses 12-16.

I think the important part is in verse 16: "Don't you wives realize that your husbands might be saved because of you? And don't you husbands realize that your wives might be saved because of you?"

As for the other questions - I believe that it's not my place to judge or advise you, but that God will lead you to the right decision if you pray about it and be willing to listen.

BW
    Last edited by butterfly_warrior; January 9th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: fixing wonky quote

Hun - firstly I want to give you this because it sounds like from this and your other thread that you are working on some pretty important stuff in your life right now. :hugs:
    I was brought up in a Pentecostal church too from age about 8 - I left when I was 17 and have struggled with alot of stuff ever since. Al is an athiest, and now with Izzy there are lots of issues coming up that Im questioning. Im lucky he is open to things like having a dedication for her and he will be involved in that but as far as going to church goes - thats where we hit a wall and I should go but dont want to go alone Ooopps hijacking.
    Just wanted to say that the power of prayer is enormous and I need to spend more time praying for my husband so thank you for giving me a kick up the butt - as far as your ex goes, its a tricky one but one that you can work through with some support. If we aren't in one pickle its another really - nobody is perfect and being aware of your situation and wanting to improve it and make your life more Godly is definately a step in the right direction babe.

Hi Sarah.
    I am Christian and my DH is...well....he doesn't know...he doesn't believe in anything really and used to have no interest in hearing about it. One day I sat down and had a conversation with him because I was worried about the same things you were i.e. how this would effect us in the future with raising kids etc. So I told him how important it was to me, and why, and questioned him on his beliefs. I told him I was worried about him not being supportive when I wanted to teach our kids about God and Jesus, etc. From our conversation I found out that he didn't really have any beliefs and didn't know what was in the bible or have any valid reasons for not believing in Christianity. He had never really had any experience with it like I had with going to church when I was young, etc. Anyway, we came to the decision that he at least should know what he was rejecting before he decided he didn't want a part of it so we were going to read the bible together. This has been going well for us. We read it some nights when we go to bed and we are getting through it SLOWLY! I've also been praying that he will come to the same understanding as me. And I think it's working! He is questioning things, he no longer believes in evolution, he is more open to the possibility of there being a God, he thinks its important to teach our children about God because he says even if it isn't true then it's good for them to know anyway because it teaches them how to be a good person.
    ANYWAY...I have lost my point in my rambling here, lol. I just wanted to show you, as an example, the way that I tried to show my DH how it was important to me and why, and how it is working out well for us. I hope my story might help you even just a little bit.

Hey Sarah!

Like BW and Tan said, pray about it hun. Prayer is so important. Let God know about all your feelings and concerns. These things are tough aren't they..

um, I think the fact that you are living with someone else means that your marriage to your ex is pretty much over?
    Only you can answer that, but marriage is more than the paperwork, although the paperwork can be important for people too. Just divorcing your ex, and marrying the guy you are with now won't magically make it all ok if you think it's not for whatever reason.
    I guess, the marriage ceremony bit is important IMHO because usually there is something about being gathered in the prescence of God, and even if people don't believe it, there is power in the words.

I think if you stick with God, and talk to him, seek him out, you will know what to do one way or another. Others will judge you, but that is there problem not yours. They can throw whatever bible verses they want at you, but you just seek God and try to do what's right. Love God with all your heart and soul, and love your neighbour as yourself. Tanstar put it beautifully, if it's not one pickle it's another. Some people think things like sex in/out of marriage matter more to God than lying or pride for example but I don't belive so myself. Even if you don't always make the right decisions, it's not like God is going to turn his back on you and say " Nope, I had this great plan for you and you stuffed it up. See you later your're on your own now" He is with us where ever we are at in life. If we are sincere, he will honour that sincerity time and again. The answer may not come about how you think though!!! Definitely seek God in prayer.

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I had to have a talk with the man about rolling his eyes when I brought up me getting to church on Sunday, everytime I brought it up he did it. I just said to him that I don't roll my eyes at him for going to jam with the band or when he reads his war books so I would like the same respect back.

As for other peoples opinions about my life I am not too worried. I have been through enough to not care. I do care about the man upstairs and what he thinks though

Hi Sarah,

I have a Noah too. I haven't been in your situation personally but I really admire christian mothers who don't have christian partners I can only imagine it must be hard scripturally sleeping with a man thats not your husband is wrong (I hope this isn't seeming all high and mighty or judgemental i dont mean it like that) But also the bible says to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

To me sin is falling short of what God has for our lives and His glory. To work out if something is sinful we can look at scripture or like the scripture says work out our own salvation with fear and trembling...do you feel like you are sinning by the relationship you are in.

It's up to you what steps you take whether you get married or stop sleeping with dp til then etc.

Also just how you were asking about what pickle you are in I just wanted to say God isn't looking out for you to do something wrong so he can punish you he's all about life and life abundantly he knew your name before the world began he's all about us living the lives he predestined for us. I love Jeremiah 29