Thread: 2nd thoughts

Default 2nd thoughts

I always thought that if I had a boy I would have him done. I saw my cousins little boy for the 1st time yesterday He is 12 weeks and done. It looks so raw and exposed. THIS IS NOT A DEPATE but I would like to hear from those that have done it or partners who have it done for some opinions.

Both my little guys are fine.
    No regrets here and if I had another son I would get him snip-snipped before 8 weeks.

Please don't shoot me but... I want to get a VCH done, and while googling it I saw pierced foreskin, and I really didn't like the look of it. Honestly this is the first time I've seen it before. I know it is a vain reaction, but as a sexually active woman I would find it a personal turn off. This isn't to say anything about other women etc, just a personal observation.

Haven't done it with my boys but was having this discussion with a girlfriend who is thinking about. Just wondering why you choose to do it these days?

Moderator Message ?
    Just a reminder to keep this thread respectful to all. Any disrespectful posts will lead to thread bans. Thank you.

All of my boys have been done, I made sure the Dr doing it used the Plasti Ball method. I also have no regrets and will be doing it again when I have this baby. It does look quite raw but with the plasti bell method there is no wound as such. No bleeding etc. I found it looked worse when they were cold as it went a bit purple.

MissEm Guest

DH is done, and he resents his parents for making that choice for him. Apart from that, he doesn't really care - he has known no different, but does constantly wonder what it would be like with a foreskin.
    We have made the decision not to circumcise any male children we have unless it were deemed medically necessary.

My ds is done. No problems or regrets either. We will do it again if we were blessed enough to have another. (we got him done before 3 weeks)

I'm thinking of getting my little boy done too so am interested to hear as well.

Sent from my iPhone so short and sweet

My DS is now 6. He was circumcised for medical reasons when he was 12 months old. He has kidney problems (quite serious ones!) and he had recurrent urinary tract and kidney infections in his first 12 months, requiring hospitalisations for IV antibiotics. This was despite the fact that he took oral AB's prophylactically for 18 moths. His urologist ultimately told me that he needed to be circumcised.

His circumcision was performed under general anaesthetic as he needed a couple of other procedures related to his kidney (he only has one!) done at the same time. I'm not sure how I would have felt about a circumcision done without anaesthetic, particularly at 12 months of age. After the procedure, he was quite sore and would stop and cry if he tried to crawl for about a week after. He also experienced discomfort at nappy changes. He had panadol for pain relief.

The head of his penis did look very sore and exposed, a bit like raw meat. I was not prepared for that! My DH is circumcised and I just assumed that DS penis would come out of surgery looking the same, with a few stitches around the head! It took mmm.... probably a month for it to stop looking so raw and about a year until it looked 'normal', not reddish and thin skinned. His urologist assured me that this was quite normal.

My DS no longer takes AB's and he has not had a UTI/kidney infection since the circumcision, so for us it was the right decision. UTI's are almost unheard of in circumcised male infants and children.

When I was pg with DD2 my DH and I discussed whether we would have another boy baby circumcised and ultimately we were unable to answer that question. I don't think we would, although we would consider it. Whilst we would want another boy to be the same as the other males in the family, particularly his brother, I don't think we could make the decision to circumcise another boy because our first son has kidney problems. We would have to make the decision based solely on the welfare of that boy, not influenced by the decision we had made for our first son. Does that make any sense? Certainly, if we were to have another male child with kidney problems, or who suffered UTI's we would not hesitate to have him circumcised, although I think I would want it done under a GA again. Having watched my DS recovery, I do not believe that the procedure or the recovery is painless.

Good luck with your decision. I hope sharing my own experience has been helpful!

Nickle my friend had similar circumstance to your son and her son was circumcised at 12 months due to medical necessity, it was under a general and also required stitches.

The procedure used on babies under 4 weeks of age isn't that same as an older child, as they are not moving around, sitting, crawling etc. My sons had no on going pain at all I couldn bathe them as normal and after about 7 days the plasti bell just came off (generally I found it in there nappy). As soon as the precedure was finished I breastfed my boys, they then went into a good sleep. I didn't notice any changes to their sleeping or feeding patterns as a result of the circumcision.

I just wanted to clarify that they are very different procedures compared to a newborn and a toddler.

My little man is one week old, and DH is circumcised and alway said that if we had a boy, he was to be circumcised too. I always had wanted him to be circumcised.....except for now that he is born. I just don't know if i could put him through that at all, and the thought of the pain he may get makes me cry (although most things make me cry atm). So I'm just going to put it off until a later date when DH and I aren't so sleep deprived and can talk about it again.