Thread: 3yr old needing circumcision for medical reasons

Default 3yr old needing circumcision for medical reasons

so my 3 yr old has a tight forskin that wont retract we saw dr today with our concerns and have a referal to surgeon for the 30th

we know he will most likely be having one, has anyone child been this age and had one done for medical reasons..what can we expect?? do they put them under a general ???

any advice thought would be appreciated

oh hun. I hope it all works out for you guys. xx

My nephew had this at about the same age and was uncomfortable the night after and then was fine. Not to sure about tha anasthetic though.

Hope all goes well.

i dont have any experience with circumsision but i wanted to say everything i have read so far has said that it can, not retract until age 7.. DS 4 still doesnt retract over his penis head, i just think that as he plays with it more it will stretch and eventually get there

did your doctor say anything along those lines?
    i know because we had assumed DH was done(another story) that we werenot sure what the process of stretching and retracting was so i have asked on here a few times about it..

i will find the thread for you

Just want to remind everyone that this forum is set to be automatically moderated so that means you cannot see your posts until a moderator approves them so there is no need to post again if you can't see your first post

Have you tried the steroid cream? I don't know much about it, but know there is something out there.

I have no idea about the actual procedure. Thoughts of my DS needing to be done after another infection have been going through my head the last 2 days. Good luck

At his age Rach he will be circumcised under a GA. You will allowed (encouraged) to go in with him while he goes to sleep and this bit can be quite scary for a parent the first time. He will cry and fight against the mask and you just before he goes to sleep and then he will suddenly go limp. You leave at this stage and wont see him intubated (tube down his throat). The procedure doesn't take ever long at all and as soon as he is awake in recovery you'll be called in to hold him as he will be disorienated, confused and probably a bit scared.
    The circumcisions I've assisted with (as a scrub nurse/recovery nurse) the mums have been told to pop some vaseline/betadine on his knob for a few days with salt baths. These instructions vary widely depending on the doctor who does his circumcision own preferences. They are ususally sore and uncomfortable for a day or so then it shouldn't bother him at all.
    Hope his appt goes well. If you have any other questions please let me know. I'll do my best to answer them.

My ds had to be done a 6 because his foreskin would balloon before weeing( making pee go everywhere) and he kept getting infections that would make scar tissue around the skin making it smaller each time therefor it would never have been able to retract because it was too small.

he went under a general and was very sore once the anistetic(sp?) wore off...they gave him a block too so it lasted a while. he was very scared when he saw it for the first time it was very red and raw looking, he was very scared to pee first too. we were told to bath him as usual and to not apply anything by the nursing staff...he got an infection and needed antibiotics. we went back to see the surgeon who told us he shouldn't have bathed he should have showered because he was sitting in water that was also washing his bum with a very open wound and to apply batigrah(sp?) its a medicated moist gauze dressing. it healed up very quickly after that. the surgeon but in a complaint about the nursing staff giving the wrong info, it was out of date stuff we got given.

im not saying this to scare you this was just our experience and i know what should have been done differently, we should have talked to him more about what it would look like.

he was extra sensitive for ages after as you can imagine why...a previously un exposed area now having all sorts of new things exposed to it. he chose not to wear under pants now because he didnt like the feel of them and he only wears cotton boxers when he wears jeans.
    i would have liked him to be done earlier because he is nearly 10 now and still remembers.

like i said im not trying to scare you just ask the surgen what his follow up is. i dont know anyone else who had there sons done after the age of 6 weeks so there was no one for me to talk to about it. if you have any other questions id be more than happy to answer

thanks girls, we spoke to a paed while in hosp have bub she said between 3-5 you should be teaching them to retract it themselves, also explained some problems he has where on occasion his penis swells up huge when he wants to pee he tells us its hruting then all of a sudden there is a gush of pee everywhere she said sounds like he had a tight foreskin and may need a circumcision am for us to go to dr get referral straight to a surgeon to save one step in seeing her as such we wont see surgeon till 30th but dr said straight up it looked like a circumcision was defiantly required I will ask the surgeon about alternatives etc...

Liviam thanks for that ... I am in tears just thinking about it, I think I would send Jase in I dont think I could do it, I would be too distressed and I don't imagine thta will help jack any

Our 6yo DS might end up needing this procedure as his is also tight... it only balloons a little bit when he wees and at least he isn't complaining about it hurting when it goes stiff (like in the mornings when he wakes up because he needs to go to the toilet)... so far we are managing it with cortizone cream.

I really hope this goes smoothly for your DS it must be a very worrying time for you you all.

As I said before, just ask about the steroid cream. It can work & may be enough.

I personally wouldn't be trying to pull it back & wouldn't worry that it doesn't come back yet. It can be anywhere between the age of 3 - 7 it comes back & they should find out themselves so no damage is done by pushing it too far.

FWIW DH didn't know he could pull his back til he was 13 And it was only coz a school mate told him!

It doesn't sound like fun. I hope either way something works & its not too hard on you guys

Default my son had the same problem

Hi Rach75..

We had the exact same problem with our son.. his foreskin was way too tight, and as my husband is circumcised, we didn't know much about it really, and how it was supposed to look etc... but ever since he was born, his penis would balloon up, before his wee would come out.. and as we didn't know any different, we thought this was normal.. it wasn't until i started questioning some of my friends who had sons, if their boys were the same, that i realised that this wasn't normal. And there was one night in the bath, he was playing with his willy of course, and he said to me, "it won't come out". So I think he knew what was supposed to happen, but he couldn't get it to happen!

So we took him to our GP, and he said "yes.. it is very tight, while it doesn't have to be retracting at all by this age, it looks as though it never will".. so we were given the steroid cream to rub on his penis everyday, (it apparently "thins" out the skin, allowing it to stretch more) and it did absolutely nothing. So we were then referred to the Paediatric Surgeon at the hospital.. once he seen his penis, he said "yes, definitely needs a circumcision"... BUT... he told us to wait until he was about 10 years old ?? At this point, our son was almost 3 years old.. The Surgeon suggested waiting till he was 10 years old, as then he would be old enough to be able to understand everything that he was going thru, and why he was in so much pain, etc.. But I thought the opposite, better to get it done now when he doesn't understand, when there's a chance he won't remember it at all! And I thought maybe when he's 10 years old, he might be a little shy already about letting me look at it, and cleaning it and whatever else.

So he was booked in, and had the operation about 2 weeks before he turned 3. He wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink that morning, we had to be in the hospital by 6 or 7 am? (forget now) And our daughter was 6 months old at the time, and had no one to look after her, so she came in with us aswell. He got to play with all the toys in the kids ward while he waited for surgery, he was quite excited by it all, but was whingeing that he was hungry etc. Then when it was his turn, my husband stayed in the room with our daughter, while i went to the operating theatre with my son. Yes I stayed with him whilst he was put under general anaesthetic, yes it was horrible, he was fighting the doctors/nurses putting the mask on him, he cried the whole time, and was scared, but then fairly quickly he fell asleep... and yes it really hurt me to watch it.. But I wanted to be there for him, and I held it together for him, but then bawled my eyes out when the Nurse led me out.. (the nurse also did explain to me earlier that it was better that he was crying, as he was taking bigger gulps of the anaesthetic, and it would put him to sleep quicker). I then went back up to his room, and cried some more to my hubby. We waited there for approximately an hour and a half, and then got told I could go down to Recovery to see him, as he had woken up. When I got there, he had just finished vomitting, (apparantly the anaesthetic can line the wall of their stomach, and sometimes can make them vomit).. but other than that, he was fine. He gave me a cuddle, and then he got taken back to his room.

His penis did look a mess! it was big and swollen and bloody, I could not tell what i was looking at. My son cried when he saw it, and said that it hurt, and he did vomit some more up in his room. The nurse told me how to clean it, and to put a big chunk of vaseline on the inside of his nappy, so it never stuck to it. (We hadn't toilet trained our son yet, as it was difficult with his tight foreskin, and then with the circumcision being booked in, we were told it's easier if they're still in nappies). So that was it. Altogether, we were in the hospital that day for about 10 hours, with our 6 month old too! We couldn't leave until our son had eaten and drunk, and kept it down.

We were worried about putting his seatbelt/harness on, but the nappy seemed to cushion most of it, and he never cried. He was quite brave the whole time, and he always knew exactly what he was doing in the hospital.. he knew he was going to have his "willy fixed.".. Luckily for him and for us, that was it.. it healed very quickly, and he never once complained about it. He had dissolvable stitches put in, but some didn't dissolve or fall out for a few weeks, but we kept taking him to the GP to be checked, but the GP said he was fine. And after about 3 or 4 weeks, all stitches were gone. He was toilet trained within a month of his circumcision. He was quite proud of it, and whenever family or friends came around, he would tell them how the "doctor fixed his willy". He was amazed by it, and to this day (he's now almost 6) he still says "remember how the doctor fixed my willy?". But he never talks about any pain.. he doesn't remember the general anaesthetic, he doesn't remember any of the bad parts at all.

All in all.. it was hard to see him go thru the pain and the trauma.. but it was only one day really. He had no infections or anything afterwards. We did make sure there was always a huge dollop of vasoline in his nappy, we went thru quite a bit of vasoline, but it was worth it as his penis never stuck to his nappy, never got sore, and never bled any more than it had in the hospital that day. We also had to change his nappy heaps!

I still believe, for me personally, that I did the right thing having him done at age 3, i think at age 10, it would have been too much for him. And having to go through all this with our eldest child, it did worry me when we were pregnant with our third, and I think I did come to the decision that if our third was a boy, I would have him circumcised when he was born, just to avoid the possibility of having to go thru that again. But luckily for me, the decision didn't have to be made as we had another girl.

So.. whilst I think it will be hard to watch your son go through with it, if it is necessary, then it will definitely be worth it. And it's over so quickly, and it heals very quickly.

Sorry to everyone, for making this so long!!!! I know i know.. it's too much! But just wanted to tell the whole story.

thought I had best update

we saw surgeon on the 30th Jack was so good with being examined etc, we had talked to him about dr having a look at his doodle etc and how it was ok...well jack turned around to em a few days before and said dr is going to look at my doodle then he is going to cut it and make it better hey mum, I had not mentioned anything about being cut or anything

anyway we spoke about the creams etc, he said nup was very tight and only going to get worse, from the looks he asked us about infection ect which as far as we know jack had had none... anyway he was all for booking us int he next monday but it didn't work for us so we booked him in for the 10th Dec

we were up bright and early to make the 2 hr trip to rocky and be at hops by 6am, jack was fine it was all a adventure for him I am sure not for me or jase, anyway the nurses were fantastic talkign to jack explaining to jack things etc, he got a brave bear (crochet bear) got dressed in his gown given a special hat, he headed off in this big bed with jase by his side at 8.20am with a loud bye mum a did get a little weepy but thankfully luke needed attending, then about 20min later I was taken down to waiting room to wait with jason, he said jack had been fine, and that Jase had had a cry after leaving him

so we waited and waited we had been told we couldn't go into recovery but they came and got jase mainly as they couldn't wake jack which we had a feeling was becuase we had woken him at 3am to leave and then he had been awake since 6am which is 3hrs earlier than normal anyway finalyy they came back to room, my poor baby look so small and sad, but then he saw me, and said wheres the remote he wanted the tv on.. so anyway we sat there watching tv he had to eat and go to toilet before we were allowed to leave he ate a huge meal, then it was time to go to toilet the poor love was so upset he was walkign funny as you can imagine, we tried once no go, then a hr later I said come on mate, took him to toilet sat him on it and we sang funny songs and then he managed to go

he had been given a GA and LA around scrotum and penis...so it was fairly numb still at that stage

we were allowed to leave hosp at 2.30pm headed home by the time we got home the LA had worn off and OMG the tears to get him to pee, then we had to put ointment on the wound the scrotum was black and blue the tip was red and raw.. not fun having to hold him down to put ointment on, we put a disp liner in his nappy in case it stuck adn kept upo the pain meds, when he woke on the 11th the liner had stuck so I put him in shower which was more crying etc, but liner fell off no dramas I let him go naked most of that day, he was very lathagic as well, then stoopidly I put some jocks on and we had a sleep and well they stuck so into oshower he sreamed I cried, but we got them off with no damage but it did bleed a little which freaked him out

anyway long story we had him on pain meds for 4 days and had to put the ointment on till tube ran out they said 2 times a day we did 3 .. and used non absorbant dressings inside his jocks and night nappy, as of the 20th we had finished the ointment his doodle looks fantastic no redness he is peeing in a straight line and has starting doing stand up pees the dissovable stiches are starting to fall out but all in all great outcome

now all I have to do is luke doesn't need one when he is 3