Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Channel 7's 'Sunday Night' - To Snip or Not to Snip?

Default Channel 7's 'Sunday Night' - To Snip or Not to Snip?

Is anybody watching this now?
    I figured it would go in the news and current affairs forum... mods feel free to move this if it's not in the right spot.

I know 'Sunday Night' is notorious for its 'tabloid journalism' and bias - I'm sure a lot of us saw the outcome from the 'great immunisation debate', but it was a very interesting thread with some great opinions from well-informed parents on both sides here on BB, so I'm interested to see a similar discussion on the topic of circumcision.
    'Sunday Night' has interviewed people from both sides of the fence for this one, one expert recommending that all boys be circumcised for health reasons - apparently circumcision can reduce things like penile cancer, HPV (herpes), HIV infection, UTI's, and a few other things... it's still going so I will be back afterwards to update those who missed it

I know DH would have preferred his boys be circumcised. And really I can see that it simply avoids having to do it in future should there be a risk. Also the lower risk of them becoming HPV carriers. Really, all the men walking around today who were are no worse off for having it done, so it probably still should have been an available option. I mean, if one of my boys gets an infection and needs to get it done later, I am probably going to hate myself for not pushing the point.

But I guess all I can do now is hope that I never am made to regret giving in without too much fight.

Ha someone got to this before me.. I will admit I am not extremely informed about this topic, however I am against circumcision for the reason of I feel it is unnecessary pain.. I will tell you a funny story.. In my era I think that is is quite uncommon for men to be uncircumsised. My partner wasn't done.. I say wasn't because now he is.. Last August he made the decision to get done.. I didn't agree with it, he had no medical problems but simply wanted it done.. He compared it to cosmetic surgery that women have.. So it was around this time we found out I was pregnant and of course my partner wanted the twins done if they were boys but again I disagreed. (His other son is not done) and the argument I used was that it can always be my sons choice, just like it was his.. I also thought it more important to be like their peers rather than like daddy.. As our bubs were premmie it was a decision that wasn't even considered.. Even if they had survived circumcision would have been the last thing on our minds anyway.

BTW the circumcision took the best part of $700!!

So what does everyone else think?? On the Sunday night program I agreed with the doc against, as he said promoting better sex ed is better than surgery!!

I missed the show, but I did work at the Kids Hossy for a looong time doing circs in theatre.
    Now we have a boy I know DH thinks we should pay to get it done so they (he and Nate) are the same - that's his reason. I'm just not going to bring it up as convo because I don't see that as enough reason.
    I do know however out of the hundreds of circs I was involved in only about 3 were on older boys for medical reasons.

I'll be back to address some of the misinformation aired during this segment a little later tonight.

My opinion...

The human body is made for a purpose. The urethra and vagina has labia to protect it from foreign bodies and infection. We have eyelids to prevent infections. Nose and ear hairs might seem unsightly but they're there for a reason!!! The foreskin protects the penis and urethra. PROTECTS!

Hmm, so it reduces some cancers? HEY! Lets chop our breasts off to reduce breast cancer? Quick, chop my head off, I don't want brain cancer... !
    Last edited by MantaRay; May 24th, 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: mods edits

NO WAY... uh uh... not for our little boy if we ever have one.... for one, I couldn't put our little boy through pain without a say in it!
    If he wants to get it done when he's older, then he can.

:yeahthat: To leesha and Renstar!

With the argument of being like their dads, my father said some very wise words on the subjetc! He lost all his fingers at 18 in a buthchering accident so he said Do I need to cut your brothers fingers off at 18 so we look the same?? Very wise man i say!

But it is personal choice!
    Last edited by boomba; May 24th, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Frankly Leasha, I think that your post is utterly offensive to every parent that chooses to circumcise.

ETA - I have no idea why it is that every time the media raises the issue that we end up with a thread about it. I don't care what other people do with their son's penises why should they care what I do with mine?
    Funny that no-one seems to care about Aung Sun Suu Kyi's trial but foreskins are worthy of discussion.
    Last edited by MantaRay; May 24th, 2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: mods edit

most people are against circumsition
    but if i have a boy he will be snipped.
    Beau my DF is, my fathers brothers,cousins
    and the reduction in infections/dieases is just a plus.
    Me and Beau have made an elective decision shall god give us a boy he shall be snipped.
    Am i on my own?

^ Sorry Brontide, I was just curious to see what other people's opinions on the matter are, same as I'm sure a lot of us like to hear other people's opinions on things like why we choose to/not to immunise, do controlled crying, ban artificial colours and flavours from our kids' lunchboxes or let them eat whatever, etc. Education, I guess - even though I don't have a son, I'm curious in this case to see the various reasons behind other parents' choice to circumcise or not, and I would be even more interested if I *did* have boys.

FWIW, the exact same story was on 60 minutes a while ago (obviously SN is low on news or budget). And after the story was on 60 minutes we had a thread on here about it which got very passionate and took a lot of time and energy to moderate. I'm really hoping that this time we can all respect the point of view of others. The fact that medical opinion is divided on the subject says to me that this isn't a straight forward issue, and that there is not necessarily one right answer for everyone. There are lots of reasons why people choose to do it or not to do it, and we need to respect that.

*scratches head* I'll have to let my old physiology lecturer know he's wrong Anyway, my basic point is, why cut it off when its obviously meant to be there.

Kim, I know it was only 3 for medical reasons, but you really do not want one of your boys to be one one of those three. Its horrible seeing your little one in pain. I simply hope that 'encouraging' that they cleaned it themselves at nappy changes with a baby wipe will mean that they remember to keep it clean and are never in that position.

And Ren: If I did push like DH wanted me to, there wouldn't have been a chance in hell I would have let them do it without some form of anesthetic! I'd have paid the cost of it out of my own pocket if I had to, but I have always thought that the way they did it without any kind of pain relief was barbaric!

Brontide I totally agree but i spose its in the media and I think everyone is entilted to an opinion. I get offended somtimes but I just move on! Your exactly right about choice and its not our descion to make! I was going to start at thread about Aung Sun Suu Kyi's trial but I seem to kill thrads before they start!

Lauren I dont think your on your own! Many people choose to do it for many reasons.

I also saw this program and in my opinion(and thats all it is) i will not have my sons(if i have any)circumsized. my hubby isn't and he has never had an issue with it. he always says that he was taught to clean his penis and that was that. this is always going to be a controversial issue and i believe that everyone has the right to choose whether or not to circumsize their boys and it should not be compulsory.

*SIGH*

I completely agree with Brontide - how many times do we have to discuss this??

Every parent is entitled to make their own choices and statements (judgements?) such as Leasha's are just completely offensive, inaccurate (IMO) and pointless.

We are all free to make our choice as parents, do what you believe is best for your child. End of story....please?!

You're right Leash, it would be silly to remove a foreskin just in case one day we realised that it slightly reduced the risk of something - that is, if we have no concrete evidence on it. As you say, we may as well remove our breasts and bowels and ovaries and so on. Of course if there is some evidence (as there might be, I don't claim to be well schooled on circumcision), then I guess it becomes like immunisation, where parents must weigh up the risks on either side.

But I think you might discount people who do it for different reasons, cultural, religious, and I'm sure there are many more reasons that a parent might decide a child should be circumcised. I do think whether we are for or against, we really need to be careful and respectful in how we discuss this, because at BellyBelly we have parents on either side of the fence. xo

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast