Thread: Circumcision ?!

Default Circumcision ?!

Circumcision. It's a contraversial issue apparently. We always thought it was normal and common-place. Every male I've ever known has had it done.
    When our little boy came along, we thought it would be standard practice to offer the service. When after a few weeks, no one had raised the subject, (he was in hospital for 6 weeks before coming home) we asked the midwives when it would be done....well the shock and horror on the faces!!!! Like we had asked for our little man to have his head removed. "It's considered barbaric these days!!!" i was told. Well, what about religion? "Well if it's a case of religion, then see you GP in 18 months." Thats all I could get! It's not a case of religion. But that's not the point. Both DH and I feel fairly strongly on the subject, but no one can give us any straight answers. Just "See your GP when he's 18 months." Even our GP wont tell us anything till DS is 18months old.
    Can some one please tell us what the h*ll is going on? Why is no one prepared to talk about this?
    Anyone?

Ooow.. very touchy subject.
    Regarding when it can be done and by who, only certain OB's will do it. Most doctors will give you a list of those who will and a referral. They will usually only do it up to 6 weeks of age which is under a local, after that you do have to wait until they are over 12 months and it is usually done under general anthesetic.

DS was done at 6 weeks because we chose to have him done for health reasons.

I notice your DS was premmi.. im not sure when they do it with premmi's.. a girlfriend of mine on this forum had premmi twins and they have been done.. but not sure if it was 6 weeks from their gestational age or their actual birth age iykwim.

Yeah Kell, thats about all I could get out of the people here. Exept that theres apparently only 1 person herre in Tas who does it.
    Yay.

There are few doctors in Australia who perform circumcision for non-medical reasons any more. This is because the risks involved - ie. damage to the penis from scarring, or infection, and the risks associated with anaesthesia, or alternatively, the pain of the procedure when anaesthesia is not used - don't outweigh the benefits of the procedure, which are few.

My personal opinion is that, in the absence of a compelling medical reason to circumcise, it is little more than cosmetic surgery for the penis. And ethically, I think that performing cosmetic surgery on children is wrong.

That said, it is a decision each parent must make for themselves. I would encourage you to educate yourself on the potential risks and benefits of the procedure. The wikipedia page on circumcision is a good place to start, as it is strictly neutral on the topic. If, after doing so, you still want to circumcise your little one, then you will need to locate a paediatrician, urologist, or GP that will perform the surgery for you. Some will recommend waiting until 18 months, so that an anaesthetic can be used; some will do it immediately using a plastibell and band. There are risks and benefits either way.

Good luck with your decision.

Yeh im not too sure about Tas or Vic but my GP gave me reference to 2 OBs within my area (both within approx 20kms of me) that both did it without medical reason.. just required a doctors referral. I also know another on the Northern Beaches side of Sydney. So there are a fair few who do it, its just finding them... but maybe thats just in Sydney?

Oh really.. hmm yeh i guess if youre really passionate about getting it done, best see that doctor.
    DS was done with the plastibell as Michael mensions, had no problems or complications with it.

Hmmm I don't know. I know it is made very difficult here though. and I have also heard there is only 1 Dr who will do it.

We are looking at circumcision for medical reasons for Jake. Constant infection and redness seems to be his foreskin is too tight. We have to wait until Feb just for an appt with a Paed Surgeon in the Royal.

TBH for us it's not something we would have chosen to be done, Ben isn't. But if you are wanting it done all I can suggest is going to the GP (or another one if you can who might help!) and being adamant you want a referral.

GL

It is a touchy subject.
    I personally chose not to have it done, but my MCHN who came to visit at 1 - 2 weeks at home did ask me about it. Just said that if I wanted it done most docs in the area won't do it after 2 weeks old.
    I think everywhere is different. Good luck with it all, sorry I have no advice.

Our boy was done, religious reasons

All I needed was a refferal from a GP to the nearest OB who performs the operation and that was a mere 1200km away but we goit it done any way and I am glad we did after seeing two friends go through hell with infections etc with there boys