Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circumcision in Mackay

Question Circumcision in Mackay

Hello

We are looking at getting our son circumcised when he is born in a couple of months. We will be getting him done in the Mackay area (queensland). Just wondering if anyone has done their son, and what was the cost?

Thank-you

Not many Drs do circumcisions anymore. Maybe ask at the hospital for a list or contact the AMA to ask if they can provide some names.

Hi,
    I'm in NSW, but we got our son done when he was 3 weeks old. We had the option of waiting until he was 6 months old, but chose to do it earlier so a local, not a general, anesethetic could be used. It cost about $600, and we got about $250 back from Medicare.

HTH

Smile

LoriRae - Thats tops, sounds good thanks for that.
    Chocaholic - Cheers, not to sure what the "AMA" is- but i'll try, find it pretty hard to get into the doc's at best of times (working big hrs), I did ask the other day and we have a few doc's who will do it, but i didn't get the costs associated with it.

Doesn't seem like people wanna really talk about this. I asked a couple of mates- they really didn't know how much it costs around here and they rekon their missus are a little wierd about the topic. Is this the case? Not sure, thought i'd ask belly belly, cause my missus is always on here and she seems to find things out.
    Might be a good topic for discusion, anyone?

We actually tend to stay away from the topic of circumcision simply because once it starts it can get very 'rowdy' and people get carried away and forget their manners. I'm sure if you do search of the site you'll find some older 'closed' threads that have the lively discussion you're after

I guess people don't want to talk about it as it's a very personal issue and people don't want to feel like they have to justify their decisions or argue their case. It's usually done for religious/traditional reasons - both which are personal decicions. It's too sensitive a topic imo!

I am from Townsville. There is only one doctor who does it here. I got my referral for DS from one of the doctors at the hospital when DS was born (I had no problems getting a referral, but my brother and SIL had to argue with another doctor to have a referral signed).

It cost us about $250 and we got about $100 back from medicare. We had DS circumcised when he was 4 weeks old. The whole thing went really well and he barely cried. He was a little bit unsettled for a couple of hours after, but was completely fine after that.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, alot of people are against circumsision themselves (me included, but I try not to judge other peoples decisions ) but after your son is born your midwives, paed & baby health nurse should be able to point you in th right direction.
    There is alot of controversy surrounding the topic, just be careful of backlash some people in the medical industry (not all, but some) may have an oppinion. Don't take it to heart.
    It may be hard finding a doctor who will do it. Not as many do without medical or religious reasons these days.
    I've heard costs are around the $500 mark, but can widely vary depending on age & what procedure is done.
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by ProudDad View Post
    Chocaholic - Cheers, not to sure what the "AMA" is- but i'll try, find it pretty hard to get into the doc's at best of times (working big hrs)
    Sorry, that is the Australian Medical Association. Good luck with finding a dr.

Hi proud dad. We had our son circumcised (the plastibell method) when he was a few weeks old and it cost us $400 and we got the majority of that back as we have hit our medicare safety net.
    If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Hey thanks to everyone for the replys, its a big help- Its pretty hard for guys to find out about this sort of stuff, so its been great!

Hi there,

We've had our son done in NSW. We just went to our GP and asked him about it, he gave us a referral and a list of doctors that did it. It cost us $250 here and we got most back from medicare.

My obstetrician did DS in hospital at about 2 days old, it cost $45! and we got most of it back.
    Some paeds will do it too, you will just need to ask around and be prepared to justify why you want your son done.

mrsmac- thats great! its obviously not a huge job then? Yeah, its just my preferance- justification shouldn't be a problem. Happy to speak up for my kids (they too small to do it themselves) With the way people talk about it (or not for that matter) I thought it was a hugh job with specailist and the whole works and jerks. Even the missus thought we'd better put away about 2 grand just for the proceedure. Thank god I came on here. Its good to have this resourse at your finger tips- cheers, thanks again. I wouldn't mind starting an anomous poll just to see how many people have it done these days- so people can vote without scrutiny. Can it be done on here?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hey prouddad, welcome to BB We could do a poll but BB is a gentle parenting site so you will find the results would likely be in favour of non circ. When I spoke to a paed when I had my son (he wasn't in favour of it, neither was I) he said that it's about 50/50 these days. But that was nearly 5 years ago... I would think it would be less circ'ing now, maybe 60/40 perhaps less. But happy to do a poll if you wish, based on babies born so far this year to make it recent. There is also an existing poll about circ'ing or not, you can run a search in the baby forums.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Quote Originally Posted by ProudDad View Post
    mrsmac- thats great! its obviously not a huge job then? Yeah, its just my preferance- justification shouldn't be a problem. Happy to speak up for my kids (they too small to do it themselves) With the way people talk about it (or not for that matter) I thought it was a hugh job with specailist and the whole works and jerks. Even the missus thought we'd better put away about 2 grand just for the proceedure. Thank god I came on here. Its good to have this resourse at your finger tips- cheers, thanks again. I wouldn't mind starting an anomous poll just to see how many people have it done these days- so people can vote without scrutiny. Can it be done on here?

DS had the plastibell method, I think it was cheaper cause my obs is very reasonably priced and he just did it while he was in checking me.
    Whilst my obs is willing/happy to do it we still had to explain to him why we wanted DS done.

We just got the bill for our Circ and it was $100 - Also using the platibell method. I almost flipped when I saw the bill as I was expecting it to be a couple of hundred $$'s as my ob would not do the procedure so had to have DS admitted in for day surgery and use an ob I did not know.

DS has had no issues after the procedure and it's been 5 days and it's healed up nicely.

Best of luck with it all.

I read in an article (from 2004) that in 2004 the rate of circumcision of new babies in Australia was 12.9%. That's from the Medicare figures.

Maybe most people are now leaving it up to men to decide for themselves as adults, rather than making big decisions like that for a baby? That's what we'll do if we have a son someday (hope to!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast