Thread: Cut vs Intact Outcome Statistics (averages from a literature review of studies 89-09)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Cut vs Intact Outcome Statistics (averages from a literature review of studies 89-09)

Cut vs. Intact Outcome Statistics

The following statistics are averages from a literature review of studies cataloging the medical outcomes of circumcised vs. intact boys between 1989-2009.

Out of 100 Circumcised boys:

• 75 will not readily breastfeed post-op
    • 55 will have adverse reactions from the surgery
    • 35 will have post-op hemorrhaging to one degree or another
    • 31 will develop meatal ulcers
    • 10 will need to have the circumcision surgery repeated to fix prior surgical problems/error
    • 8 will suffer infection at the surgical site
    • 3 will develop post-operative phimosis
    • 2 will have a more serious complication (seizure, heart attack, stroke, loss of penis, death)
    • 1 will require additional immediate surgery and sutures to stop hemorrhage
    • 1 will develop fibrosis
    • 1 will develop phimosis
    • 1 will be treated with antibiotics for a UTI (urinary tract infection)
    • 1 will be treated with antibiotics for surgical site infection
    • Of those who do receive pain medication for the surgery (about 4% of those boys undergoing circumcision in the U.S.) some will have adverse reactions to the pain medication injected

Out of 100 Intact boys:

• 2 will be treated with antibiotics for a UTI (fewer if the foreskin is never forcibly retracted)
    • 1 will be told to get cut later in life for one reason or another (fewer if the foreskin is never forcibly retracted)

Note: One reader of these statistics (a man cut against his will at birth with 4 intact sons today) critiqued (quite accurately) that it is actually 100 of 100 circumcised boys who experience negative consequences as a result of circumcision. Each and every one has lost an organ responsible for a great deal of his life-long normal health and functioning.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Miss Belly Belly.

As the creator of this site, I would hope that you would use 'legitimate' information to inform the readers of these threads.

The above numbers are rediculous. 55% adverse reactions???? 35% hemorrhaging???? Come on.

For those that would like to read what the actual figures of complications are (not from references from a couple of anti-circ sites) then the systematic review below is quite a good reference. It was published in Feb 2010. And was the result of a huge database search. 1349 published papers were read. 52 of these met the required standard for the study of neonatal circumcison complications.

If you really want to be informed, I recommend reading the entire article as linked below.

Abstract | Complications of circumcision in male neonates, infants and children: a systematic review

Are you being serious?
    Do you actually believe these statistics to be true?

I notice that you haven't included my last reply to this thread. I didn't expect that you would, as it would make the original post look quite inaccurate.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    Cut vs. Intact Outcome Statistics

The following statistics are averages from a literature review of studies cataloging the medical outcomes of circumcised vs. intact boys between 1989-2009.

Out of 100 Circumcised boys:

• 75 will not readily breastfeed post-op
    • 55 will have adverse reactions from the surgery
    • 35 will have post-op hemorrhaging to one degree or another
    • 31 will develop meatal ulcers
    • 10 will need to have the circumcision surgery repeated to fix prior surgical problems/error
    • 8 will suffer infection at the surgical site
    • 3 will develop post-operative phimosis
    • 2 will have a more serious complication (seizure, heart attack, stroke, loss of penis, death)
    • 1 will require additional immediate surgery and sutures to stop hemorrhage
    • 1 will develop fibrosis
    • 1 will develop phimosis
    • 1 will be treated with antibiotics for a UTI (urinary tract infection)
    • 1 will be treated with antibiotics for surgical site infection
    • Of those who do receive pain medication for the surgery (about 4% of those boys undergoing circumcision in the U.S.) some will have adverse reactions to the pain medication injected

Out of 100 Intact boys:

• 2 will be treated with antibiotics for a UTI (fewer if the foreskin is never forcibly retracted)
    • 1 will be told to get cut later in life for one reason or another (fewer if the foreskin is never forcibly retracted)

Note: One reader of these statistics (a man cut against his will at birth with 4 intact sons today) critiqued (quite accurately) that it is actually 100 of 100 circumcised boys who experience negative consequences as a result of circumcision. Each and every one has lost an organ responsible for a great deal of his life-long normal health and functioning.
    Thanks for leting me know I have never had a problem with mine luck I guess.