Thread: medical circumcision trauma

Default medical circumcision trauma

My boy had excema in his nappy area as a baby, but that went away... and at 5 months his foreskin started getting recurring infections, constant inflammation and ulceration that caused abscesses. It also spread to his scrotum, after 9 months of treating it with antibiotic cream, which never cleared it up, several urologists recommended circumcision. They wanted to send off the skin for testing, as they'd never seen this condition before.

I consented coz i didn't think it was a big deal and he's Muslim. So off we went to hospital, he was very brave when they put him under and it didn't take long. The first time i saw the site with its stitches and massive swelling i screamed, and the nurse even gasped. We got the doc to come tell us if it was supposed to look like that, he reassured us it was. I was told it might bleed and to stop the bleeding with pressure, or bring him back to hospital ASAP if it was bleeding fast.

The next 6 weeks were very scarey, every time i opened his nappy it would gush blood and he'd scream. I'd have tohold him down and press on it, then when the blood slowed i had to smear it with vaseline, all the while he was writhing and crying. If he had a pooey bum i couldn't even wipe it till i stopped the blood. it was so traumatic for us both. He was used to having a sore willy, but now he was scared of nappy changes. So many times i nearly raced him to hospital as the bleeding got worse each time. We went to the GP twice and emergency section once, even talking to the surgeon who did the op. They said it might take 6 weeks to heal up, and keep doing what i was doing, with the addition of salt baths.

I found that switching to disposable nappies helped heaps, and eventually the wound healed up and he has a good looking penis. SO he's back in MCNs, which the docs assure me are fine, but the blisters are still occuring. now they are on the head of his penis, bleeding and sore. the skin sampled told us he had a dermatitus in his genital region, where the skin was more prone to break down from uric acid. He has a new cream (grease) that's antibiotic, antiinflammatory, antifungal and steroidal... but it isn't helping anymore. Just today he had alot of blood from the blisters on his willy, so i took him out of his gorgeous cloth nappies and have stuck him in sposies. I hope it helps it heal.

I'm posting this to share my story with other people who may be in a similar situation. I didn't realise the healing from a circumcision op would be so long (6 weeks), so bloody, and so traumatic. I assumed it would fix the problem, and it didn't. I didn't know (nor did the doctors) that sposies were essential to letting the wound heal. cloth stuck, and all my suedecloth and microfleece nappies have stains from his creams. he is nearly 2 yearsold now, and he's had a sore willy his whole life.

The poor little boy. have you tried to toilet train him? It might help stop the contact of the uric acid on his penis if he's not in nappies anymore. :hug" for you too, I can only imagine how your heart must have been breaking having to do that to him.

Your poor little boy. He is such a brave little man!

I am so sorry you have had to go through this. Sounds absolutely horrible.

Is he ready to toilet train? I agree with Trillian, it might help.

Poor bubba, I feel for you both. It must have been awful

thanks trillian, maybe it's worth beginning to try TT... i figured he was too young but perhaps he has motivational factors to get him there sooner than his big brother. We have a system with poos where i pop him on the toilet if he tells me before (or i notice during, though often it's after). Maybe it's time to introduce pee's to the system!

Oh my goodness, your poor little man and poor you too.
    Thank you for sharing your story, I hope your little man heals up soon, it must be so awful to go through what you and your little one have gone through.
    Big big hugs
    xxx