Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To snip or not to snip..?

Default To snip or not to snip..?

Hi Guys,

I am torn on the decision whether to circumcise our baby, if it is born a boy (due in March 08). This is our 1st child, so the first time we have had to contemplate this decision.

Our OB has advised that in Sth Aust, only 2% of baby boy's born are now circumcised. We are going Private, so it can be done (to my surprise - it is not available in the public system any longer).

I am cut and always imagined my son(s) would be too. It's what I know, my partner feels similar to me on the subject. I feel it is easier to manage and keep clean. However, it is such a taboo subject and I am amazed how people get so passionate for either side of the debate. I raised the question with 2 of my closest mates (1 a father - the other not) and both gave opposite answers. I think they both argued for what they had (eg cut and uncut)

Our OB has caused me to feel confused, by stating that our boy will be the odd one out in the changerooms etc when growing up (if circumcised). I am still leaning towards doing it (if we have a boy), but would really appreciate your thoughts and opnions on this matter.

Let me know what you think Dad's...?

Many thanks

Dane

Hi Dane, sorry to barge in or not (considering I am a female) but just wanted to let you know that if you want to snip, its your decision and nobody else's opinion should matter. We decided to get DS done (and any subsequent boys of course) because of one thing mainly, my DH is done. We got LOTS of opinons on the matter, mainly about the "different in changeroom" stuff, and from my DH's opinion, he said that as a boy, he never saw anyone else's penis in a changeroom, but he did see his dads. He said that our child would be more concerned about looking the same as Dad, and wonder why he didn't look the same as daddy, than why he didn't look the same as other kids in the changeroom, which he may or may not ever see!!!! So thats my DH's opinion for you, relayed through me. Whatever decision you make, its YOURS alone. Its a tiny bit traumatic for you to see your newborn go through the pain etc, but it heals in no time, and once the ring thing is off (no cutting involved if you get the ring thing) then it looks great!! Good luck :-)

slyder Guest

Dane, personally I don't see the point purely for preventative health reasons. Occasionally a boy has to be circumcised later in life for medical reasons, but that is only a small fraction of cases. It's already there, it's harmless, I'd just leave it be personally. But yeah, it's a choice for you and your partner.

In my case, I'm not c'ed, but my Dad is.

At the end of the day what everyone else thinks is irrelevant, because even if they do get their son done, they have their own reasons for doing it - it certainly doesn't make it any easier though when you are sure you know what you want, only to get so many conflicting opinions. And I honestly can't see boys picking on one another about who is and isn't done. Once they leave school they will be amongst many different demographics of males throughout their life so it really isn't going to matter.

For what its worth though. We decided not to get our first child done if it was a boy (and he was) but since then Dh has often said that he wishes that we did - not for any particular reason that he can pinpoint, but just that if we had our time again he would have pushed for it more than he did. So I think that if you decided to not do it, even if you actually would prefer it, then you may also regret not doing it later on.

You have decided to do it because it is the right thing for your son.

smiles4u Guest

Smile

Hi there,

My DP & I were in the same dilemna as U both ... Only thing is I was leaning more towards NOT doing it.

.... Reason being i didn't feel right about altering someone's body part. I felt that wasn't my decision to make seeing it's not my body to tamper with in the first place.

I spoke with my older sister as she has a son AND she felt the same way.

She said it is so easy for them to clean ... And she couldn't understand why most parents use that as the reason to do it other than religious reason for some cultures.

Anyway, we decided NOT TO ... And when I gave birth we ended up with a little girl

Hi All,

I appreciate all of your honest opinions and each sharing insight to your personal experiences. It is soooo interesting how everyone has their own take on the big C topic. Keep them coming...

At this stage I am probably still leaning towards still getting it done (that's if it is a boy), we may end up in the same boat as smiles4u and have a girl after all. It's probably something that will come up again in the future as we are hoping to at least have a couple more down the track.

I have 9 weeks to continue researching on the topic and make a decision after that.

I find it amazing that it wasn't something (until only a few weeks ago) that I realised DW and I needed to decide.

Pregnancy has been such a surreal experience (even 4 me the DAD..!) I'm aged 28 and DW 24, so in terms of close friends - most of our friends haven't started families yet. This site offers the ability to speak openly and honestly with parents (and parents to be).

Cheers

Dane

Hi , do you have an email address i can sent an article to you ?

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS:
    Circumcision Policy Statement
    dated 1 September 2005.

Just a bit more info for you. My OB gave it to me when we found out we were having a son.

slyder Guest

Glad you're liking it so far Dane. Hang about mate because there aren't many of us.

*Annie* - I have forwarded you my direct email address.

Slyder - I'm still here mate. Haven't ventured out of the men's forum though.. lol

Hi Dane, i have just emailed you!

Hi Dane
    Firstly congrats to you and your wife on the nearing arrival of your precious bub.

We had our son done as dh is also done and neither of us knew how to care for one that wasn't kwim?
    Anyway the proceedure is quick and yes it is painfull for bub but they are given some anasthetic and pain releif.
    I would much prefer to have my baby done at a few weeks old rather than at 6years old(my nephew) as when he got an erection the foreskin wouln't retract and he would be in awful pain. It was very tough trying to explain what needed to happen to a 6 year old boy.He is now 15 years old and is quite deformed in that area. A friend of mines dp had to be circ'ed when he was 26 years old and he wasn't able to get out of bed for a week.
    Anyway just wanted to let you know of these peoples circumstances.

Just know that the final decision is up to you and your wife and no one else should judge that.

We chose not to circumcise our sons because DH isn't. So if the reason is in a roundabout way because they look like their dad, then so be it.
    Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Mako.

I was also 5yo when C'd, which I have painful memories of the experience.

If we go ahead - it would definately be in the first couple of weeks after birth to ensure there are no memories of the experience.

Very strange sharing intimitate details with total strangers, but liberating at the same time - lol

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with me

Dane

We didn't give it any thiought to be honest and we have 3 boys.. Just that nah we won't. My DH isn't done but that wasn't the reason.. There was no reason

None of my boys have had infections.. All I do is (well did) is swish water around the penis when they were in the bath.. Now I have taught them how to do it..

Good Luck with the rest of you and your Wifes Pregnancy

This is just the start of the decisions you will have to make for your child as a parent. It is a hard one and one that only youself and wife can do. The only advice I can give you is to research it alot and make an informed decision. If your OB is giving you stats of only 2% are now done and that public hospitals are no longer performing them, well you gotta wonder if it is worth the pain of it.

I have 3 boys and they are still all in tact. My husband is done and when this issue was brought up with my first son, it was my husband that was adamant not to have it done. I also have 8 Nephews all of which have not been done and all have had no problems with their foreskins.

I do beleive that in a few years time, regardless if they have been done or not, no one will take any notice.

Good luck with your decision.

G'Day Dane,
    There's an interesting article in the BellyBelly articles section, which I guess is an appropriate place for an article. But I digress.
    Here's a link
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...rcumcision-son
    but if that doesn't work, look under the mens tab in the articles section.

To throw my two cents in, which with rounding is worth nothing, I wouldn't get it done. It's more of an archaic religious thing than a health issue or anything else.

I think that it's actually quite a bit more than 2% but that could be because I live in area where uncirced is the minority.
    There's a poll on it - I just gave it a bump for you.
    http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=42630

You're more than welcome Dane.

The dr that circ'd ds was fantastic.It is recommended that babies are circ'd by 6 weeks of age or at 12 months under a general anasthetic. They mostly use the Plastibell tecnique which is just a plastic ring which falls off within 7 days.
    I was under the impression that we'd be given a "lecture" about why we shouldn't do it but instead we were sent a cd rom slide show on the proceedure and some stats on what could go wrong etc.When we went for our appointment before the op the dr just had a look at ds penis and asked if we had any questons etc. Anyway I'm sure that the %rate is much highter than 2% and that people are just trying to make others feel that they are making the "wrong"decision when they choose to have their boys done.

Anyway once again all the best in making your decision

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast