Thread: to snip or not to snip??

Smile to snip or not to snip??

i got my son circumcised and there was alot of fuss about it alot of people put there noses down at me asking me why..my answer... im a single mum and i did not want to have the job of teaching him how to clean it and i simply wanted it done..at the hospital when he was born i had to remind the midwives everyday about as they would simply ignore me...what are other mums opinons on this??

Its your choice, your DS.

No one can or should judge you for the decision you made.

For me and DH, we personally didnt and wouldnt ever do it to our DS (and any future boys if that arises). We felt its not really needed and with proper care and hygenie it wont ever be an issue for him

We had my DS circumcised. My DH is circumcised, my dad is, my brothers are, their sons are too. We had it done partly for family reasons, partly because my DH and my dad were circumcised later in life (6 years and 12 years old respectively) because of the places they were living and the way the doctors think medicine works (my DH was living in the UK in 1987 and hadn't been circumcised so when he got kidney stones, their solution was circumcision and my Dad was done for similar reasons). I realise that circumcision doesn't cure anything, but it was much easier to have my DS done as a baby than have doctors trying to push it on him later in life because we want to go and live somewhere international. In some countries it is rising in popularity again.

People argue about these points but there is some research to suggest that circumcision can decrease the risk of passing on STIs and a big one is HPV (there is a huge rise in the number of circumcisions in Africa for the prevention of STIs). Still a highly debated point though. There are margainly better results for boys with urinary tract infections, though I have to point out that even in uncircumcised males, less than 1% get urinary tract infection and in circumcised males it is less than 0.5% so it doesn't prevent it altogether but in males, it is not a huge risk anyway. Medically, there are not outstanding reasons for circumcision but things to consider anyway.

These are all the things we thought about and talked about when making our decision. It was still a tough choice and I agonised over whether to do it or not for months (we found out what we were having before he was born but even before that). We feel too that once we made the decision for one, if we have more boys, we sort of have to follow through otherwise there is a lot teasing.

In the end, the experience wasn't all that terrible. I felt awful on the day and really wanted to pull out . . . it was so hard. DS cried less than he did with any injections, and after it was over, it was fine. I am not looking forward to doing it if I have another DS but it really did work out fine for us. No complications and I am glad now that it is all over, that we had it done.

I do think it is a personal choice and each parent needs to decide for themselves whether they are comfortable or not with it.

We don't get much criticism from family and friends because all my male family members are circumcised and most of our friends have had their baby boys done too.

We decided to do it for reasons similar to Townsville Girl. I have never regretted the decision and DS has always known he is circumcised. I did cop alot of flack for my decision from people I know and 1 dr flat out refused to refer me on as it was against her beliefs. It's a personal decision I guess.

I got my referral from the ped at the hospital (public) the midwife gave me a form to fill out and when the ped came around to do the final check on DS before we left the hospital, he just had to sign the bottom. I have heard of lots of people having difficulty finding a doctor who will do a referral.

I had to wait until DS was 12 mths old before this dr would refer me. My sister had her son done soon after birth though.

Smile

thanks girls for your replies!!! i got my son done when he was 12 days old!! and my dad had to get his done when he was 5 and i didnt want that for Zayvier...id rather him not remember.. the only bad side was Zay caught Staph from the hosi and had to be on antibiotics... i also caught it after having Zay n had to be on antibiotics for 6 weeks

Wow TB - did he have to have a full on op to have it done at 12 months? My DS was circumcised at 3 weeks and we went to a the doctor's office and he did it there.

There is only one doctor in Townsville who will do it and the waiting room was packed. We had to wait there for an hour after it was done and 4 other families had their babies circumcised while we were there. It is a pretty quick procedure for little babies.

I don't know much about how it works with older babies. My DH had a full on op when he was 6 to have it done so I thought it might be the same.

Yes it was a full on op, general and all. I would never do it that way again. It was all because the dr didn't believe in it. I should have gotten a 2nd opinion.

None of my boys have been. DH wanted Sam and Haz to be, I was actually indifferent. It turned into too much trouble, and by the time someone told us to tell the doc it was part of our religious belief, it would be putting Sam through a fair trauma as he is much older now.

we didnt get DS done coz we couldnt find anyone who would do it... But been 21 I didnt push to hard as I just did as I was told should have told them all to go jump and as he is my Ds not theirs.... now DS skin doesnt go all the way down which mean he might have to have it done anyway but now the poor bugger is 9 ....

If I am lucky enough to have another DS I will be pushing to get it done at birth !!!

We were lucky because we had so many people around us who had their DS's done, they gave us lots of advice on where to get our referral and how soon we needed to get it. It was good getting it from the ped at the hospital too because it was just a piece of paper, I had to ring and book the appointment seperately so I didn't have to decide that I wanted it done a day or two after the birth. I got the form JIC but knew I didn't have to go through with it if I didn't want to. We talked about it for a week after I got the referral before I booked the appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Everchanging View Post
    we didnt get DS done coz we couldnt find anyone who would do it... But been 21 I didnt push to hard as I just did as I was told should have told them all to go jump and as he is my Ds not theirs.... now DS skin doesnt go all the way down which mean he might have to have it done anyway but now the poor bugger is 9 ....

If I am lucky enough to have another DS I will be pushing to get it done at birth !!!

Thats the same situation I was in. Too young to know what else to do.

I hope your DS will be alright. My neighbour was 13 when he had it done for a similar reason as your DS. As he started puberty he kept getting infections because the skin was too tight if that makes sense. He was fine though, a little sore but coped so well with it. He is now 18 and has had no probs since.

I had to get DS1 done when he was 12 & was absolutely horrible for him.
    So when we had the other 2 boys they were done straight away. Noah's was done under a local last Tuesday & is perfectly fine now. I think if DS1 never had all the troubles he had, we wouldn't have got the other 2 done at all.

It used to be done in hospital when the baby was born, but now you have to find a dr that will do it, my ob refered us to another OB that does it, so mabye ring around if your GP isn't very helpful then rock up & tell him you've made an appt & need the referal. that's what I've always done.

StephV Guest

Its one of those topics like "should you dummy"... I'm of the belief that you should do what you want.

My obgyn doesn't do them but knows he has to refer you to someone else. I can't remember why I know that as I have a girl.

Before we knew it was a girl I was lucky and just said "Dad this is your decision". I read a lot of chat channels that basically go with whatever the Dad is the baby is so that way they don't look different.

Stick to your guns, and its not like you can reverse it its really no one's business but yours. He will be fine and its not like he'll know the difference. I had mate get his done at 22 - apparently very painful then... if your going to do it, do it young.

Neither of my boys have been. It's not something DP or myself wanted.
    It is a very personal choice and I'm sorry people were judging you and your decision.

It made me think though... when DS1 was born they asked us a few times at the hospital if we were going to get him circumcised. Then when we had DS2 it wasn't even mentioned once at all.

xox

DS is not circumcised pretty much because DH isn't.
    DH has never had any trouble and can show DS how to clean it when the time comes.
    But I do believe in everyone having a choice and do not think badly of anyone who does circumcise their sons.