Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do i need to know about circumcision?

Default What do i need to know about circumcision?

My son is 10 months old and for medical reason need to eb circumcision to use the skin to fix his problem.

What do i need to know? I spoke to surgeon today and he was bloodey useless (can i say b****** mods?) any how he was patronizing and just GRRR anyway me and hubbie are gald that our poor little mans issue finally will be fixed. When i asked him what i should know regarding healing and stuff he had no real advice when i asked about what nappies would be best for him he said what ever u use, I said is bamboo alright and he was like WHAT? disposables he said but im not sure and neither is hubbie. What is best??

How long will it take to heal? what do i need to know or should know??????

My DS was circumcised when he was 3 weeks old so I don't know much about older baby circumcision. We were told to use nappy liners after the circumcision and to put vaseline all over the head of the penis to stop it from sticking to anything so I would invest in some nappy liners and vaseline. If you are doing that, I don't really think that MCN would be much of a problem. I would be a bit weary of using terry flats though because he will need to be reasonably dry most of the time so it doesn't sting.

My DS had fully healed by 2 weeks after but as I said he was smaller so I don't know what happens when they are older.

What sort of procedure is your DS having - will it be day surgery under a general or is it being done in the doctors office with a local? Not that I will be able to give you more info, I was just interested in what they do with older babies.

I hope everything goes well for the procedure . . . I can imagine it must all be a bit stressful for you even if it will fix lots of things for your DS. Good luck

My son was circumcised at 12 mths under a general anaesthetic. It was very painful for him and it looked disgusting.

Things you need to know....There will probably be a plastic covering on his penis which has to stay there until it comes off naturally. He will also porbably have stitches, my DS's were disolvable and just disolved naturally with no problems.

I used disposable nappes but I can't see any reason why you can't use cloth if the surface is smooth. You will need to change nappies more frequently. Make sure you slather HEAPS of Vaseline on his nappy to avoid it sticking and peeling the skin off. Keep the pain relief up, Pain Stop was fantastic.

I had no problems with bathing becuase the plastic bandage thingy was on water didn't get in.

I also found he was uncomfortable in his car seat so I used to put a towel as a buffer between the car seat clip and his crotch. I don't know if that is safe but it helped him with the pain.

I dn't remember how long the healing time was, he's 12 now so it was a long time ago.

If you need any more info let me know. Good luck!

Thank you both of you for your details and advice, what about Vaseline and cloth absorbency? maybe i should just use disposables hey?? Did u change every 1 hours??? advice would be great!!

the reason is he has a crooked winkie and they will be circumcising him to use the skin to rectify the crooked winkie. It will be day surgery a under general anesthetic.

hubbie is freaking out about the anesthetic should we be concerned? will my son go on antibiotic's?? There's nothing worse than the possibility of your son peeing in a urinal and peeing on the man next door and getting a flogging for it hey. So with that being said we are happy this issue will be fixed.

There are some increased risks of using anaesthetic on kids under 2, but if you have any worries, an anaethatist should talk to you at some point and explain these to you. If you are at all concerned, or have any doubts about it definitely look into it more and ask lots of questions.

As far as the vaseline goes, if you use a nappy liner, it shouldn't affect the absorbency of an MCN (I wouldn't think). I think they recommended a nappy line because it doesn't come off when you take the nappy off, you can peel it off gently after the nappy is removed rather than ripping it off with the nappy. The hospital may require you to use disposables so you might have to get a few anyway.

Unless there is some sort of infection, I don't think they will use antibiotics - he may be on pain killers for a couple of days but I imagine at his age they would recommend panadol and neurofen and not much else.

Anyway, hope that is helpful

I can't remember whether DS had antibiotics or not but it's usually pretty standard these days to have them after an op. The anaethetist will talk you through the anaestheic in hospital before the procedure. Ask all the questions you feel you need to. You may aslo be allowed into the room when they put him to sleep. We were also given an information sheet on discharge with all the care instructions for the following days and had a follow up appointment booked before we left.

You'll probably need to change his nappy every couple of hours for the first day or so just so you can check on how it's going. Then just go from there. You'll know what to do.

thanks for that will he be sore if i hold him or put him on my knee, what about on my hip or if he rolls on a toy?

He will be sore but only for the first day or so. DS found it painful to crawl so your DS might not move much for a short time. I carried him across my arms or used the pram until he was not experiencing pain anymore.

He really did heal quickly, the first couple of days were the most painful for him and bear in mind it looks worse than it is.

The hospital recommended we use Pain Stop (they wrote a script for it and I got it from the hosp pharmacy) which really worked well. As long as you keep the pain relief up he won't experience too much pain.

i was warned that for 1- two weeks it would be real badly swollen. thank you for your tips and advice on this. sorta makes ya question if ya should put them thought hat pain hey so even with relief it was quite noticeable pain?

Squidipa - my nefew had a crooked penis that had to be resolved with surgery like this when he was 12 mths. My sister used dispossable nappies so I cann't help you with that. But like the others said, keep it slathered in vaseline and just ensure you change his nappies regularly. One of the problems my sis had to deal with, was that my nefew kept on trying to play with it, which of course hurt. It mostly healed up within a couple of days (as in pain) so keep panadol on hand for that, although the actual healing process took about six weeks (from memory). When he first came home he had a little bandage on his penis, and that came off a couple of days later when he was allowed to have a bath.

If you want some more info, feel free to pm me - if I don't know the answer I can certainly ask my sister for you.

thanks misty for that info ya never know i might be pming u after all lol

everyone has said that drs use a bandage... well wouldn't this bandage get wet from wee??

The bandage my son had was a plastic one like a sticky tape kind of looking thing so it was waterproof. It was clear and so you could see if it was healing etc. It falls off naturally like an umbilical cord does. Once it falls off, after a few days, the skin underneath should be pretty right, still looks red and sore though. DS had 1 'sticky' spot though where the bandage held on. I had to pull it off but it wasn't too bad. I just put extra vaseline on so it wouldn't catch on the nappy.

thanks Again

o.k, another thought how well does the scar heal? also one would presume a scar on end and on side where they re attach the skin hey.

It healed well and wasn't really noticeable, the scar is bigger than if he would hve been done at birth though but the dr's do conceal it well. I haven't had a close look at it recently though . I don't think a 12 yo boy would allow his mother to get that close to his doodle

TMI warning (sorry squid).......It's not noticeable in adulthood at all unless you look very very very closely.

lol k so obviously saying nothing to him about why he got done wouldn't work lol as boys do examine there parts lol

Squidipa - my nefew had a crooked penis that had to be resolved with surgery like this when he was 12 mths. My sister used dispossable nappies so I cann't help you with that. But like the others said, keep it slathered in vaseline and just ensure you change his nappies regularly. One of the problems my sis had to deal with, was that my nefew kept on trying to play with it, which of course hurt. It mostly healed up within a couple of days (as in pain) so keep panadol on hand for that, although the actual healing process took about six weeks (from memory). When he first came home he had a little bandage on his penis, and that came off a couple of days later when he was allowed to have a bath.

If you want some more info, feel free to pm me - if I don't know the answer I can certainly ask my sister for you.

thanks misty

Opps sorry about posting that twice! my computer seems to be playing up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast