Thread: What should I do?

Question What should I do?

DS isn't circumcised & he has a really really sensitive foreskin.

We can't have soaps of any sort in the bath, noone can wash their hair or use soaps if he's in the shower with them, I can't use any washing powder on his nappies. He can only use nappies with fleece inside. If they are fleece outside too they are ok, but if they have PUL in them it doesn't take long for them to start irritating him. PUL usually makes the whole nappy area red though.
    I've used sposies when he's had rashes before, but lately they sometimes irritate him too.

So anyway, this last infection has me a bit worried. His foreskin was red & swolled for 2 days & yesterday it was weeping He hasn't been able to wear nappies at all. I put one on after he was asleep monday night, but he woke at 6am needing it off, so slept the next 2 hours without it.
    I applied bactroban yesterday (gp told me to put it on when he's having problems), then a few hours later soaked him in the bath for a while to get rid of any stuff & put bactroban on, with lanolin smothered over the top & a sposie.

It looks better this morning, so I'm breathing relief, but I hate seeing that. Its never been that bad before, but its got me thinking alot.
    I have no idea what set this one off. I dare say the girls playing with something with him in the shower.

Should I go talk to my gp again about this one?? I'm sure how I'd go if he suggested circumcision. I really don't like the idea. Really really don't like it...

MIL said DH was also very sensitive when he was younger... Should I just be extra careful, keep the bactroban & lanolin on hand & wait it out?

Is there any guarantee it wouldn't happen if he was circuncised anyway?

He's started TT, so I don't think he'll be in nappies much longer anyway. He's out of them through the day at home & sleeps through the day without. Hopefully once he's fully TT we'll never have issues again?

oh hun i feel your pain.
    DS was like this and even when he was TT it continued as he didnt clean it properly and would leave wee in the skin and it would get infected.
    we found it didnt matter what soaps we used it irritated it. the only thing which didnt was dermawash its a soap free ph balanced wash based on a sorbolene creme base, its great i use it now aswell and has helped ease my itching in late pregnancy.
    we did get DS circumsised but that was because we were fed up with infections and it causibng him pain, we havent had an issue since.
    we did wait it out till he was 8 though and we have also noticed a reduction in his bed wetting aswell it was weekly and always when he had an infection now its monthly

Oh the poor little fella! It's one of those things where you just wouldn't know if it would be sorted out by having him done because you don't know why there is such a big sensitivity issue and whether it is related to the very end of the foreskin only or if the whole penis could be affected. You could still have problems even once he's TT as he will still have jocks on so you should make sure that they are 100% cotton as cotton lets the skin breathe better than synthetics and it sounds like he can be affected by stuff even when he doesn't have anything over it anyway. i wish I had some better advice for you hun.

rhyb Guest

No advice but big
    Poor Jesse!

Kane goes through small stages of this too, when he is teething bad.

He has had swelling, reddening and welts on his foreskin, which clears up with Hydrozole.
    I worried sometimes it would scar it looked so sore, but it hasn't and his penis looks fine.

I line his cloth nappies, and dont use anything in the bath at all....... It might sound bad, but I just wash him well with olive oil, and we haven't had a problem since. I also wash everything here with bi-carb only.

Our doc actually advised against it just yet, saying it could just end up hurting his sensitive head of the penis instead, which could be worse. As long as the liners and no bath/washing products are working, he's happy to leave it be for now.

thanks. I'll just start being extra careful. I mean more than extra careful. I have no idea why it got so bad this time, but it looked so sore.
    Its dry today, but the swelling is completely gone & the redness is almost gone. I might buy a big tube of lanolin & keep it on all the time to protect it...
    Can you use lanolin with MCN's? I always use fleece liners anyway, so it should be ok.