Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

Cool - I think i should get some flanelette too. I ordered some covers online (small size) and they don't really look big enough to use over terry squares. The motherease ones look ok, but not sure about others. The bummi original particularly is really tiny. Hope they'll exchange the too-small ones. Guess I should have gotten bigger ones....

Marcellus, I really found that terry was wa y too big for my DS until he was 4 months old. He was particularly tiny, but even so, for the first few months I appreciated having flannelette. The only reason I changed to terry was because he was out-weeing the flannelette. We still find terry's work well for us now though.

As I said somewhere in another thread (can't remember where) when bub is small and you're using the flanny flats, you can use your terrys as spew cloths etc (you need alot!) and then when bub goes into terry nappies, you can swap them over IYKWIM.

You shouldn't have a problem with covers if you're using flannies. I used the x-small rikki for ages, about 4 months. Wasn't a fan of the bummis, so I can't help there, but it was too big for DS when he was a newborn, so I think you should be fine with it.

Thanks! Flannies it is then

oh, if I buy from spotlight, is any fannelette ok, or is there a special kind?
    Thanks again

SL do actually have "Nappy" Flannelette so have a look

Awesome, thanks again ladies

LOL thanks Janie... Off to do some internet shopping for snibs and covers I think! And then off to spotlight for some fabric. Better call mum and give her sewing required head up (thanks FionaJill)!

FionaJill - how big do you sew the squares? I think Sez has me convinced to give flats a go with DD#2, especially if I can do it so cheaply myself!

Sez - you said they'd show at classes how to fold nappies but they didn't when I did classes for Iz, and the only comment made about cloth nappies was "well, nobody uses them anymore". So, is there a website for different folds, or is it something simple you could describe to me?

Sorry Lulu, they did show us a my classes! Which I thought was kind of odd, considering the hospital supplies huggies LOL.

Try goggling the nappy lady, go to advice, then articles and info, then nappy instructions and terry folds. I use the bat/butterfly/chinese fold, this is good for newborns too. You might want to practice the fold, but once you've got the hang of it, you'll never forget! I find folding flats quite cathartic When you put the nappy on (practice on Izzy!) be sure to tuck the legs IN before folding the middle up...you'll see what I mean when you practice. And always make sure you have ALL of the nappy well tucked inside the cover. They are my two big flat tips LOL!

Thanks Sez! Will see what I can find. Do you use liners as well, or just the flannelette/terry?

I use lfushable liners on all of my nappies, to save me from poo LOL! I do have some micorfleece ones as well, but I tend not to use them.

Thanks. I'm all for escaping poo. Poor Izzy - the number of times I've had to scoop her up and put her safely on the floor half way through a nappy change so I can run to the loo just isn't funny! Pregnancy and pooey teething nappies just don't mix. Lucky DH works upstairs so he hears me yell "Your daughter needs you" quite a bit these days!

Lulu, I haven't actually sewn any. I just know its there.

Default Where to find flanny flats

hi all
    I have a little girl due in 14 weeks (baby number 1) and I'm trying to set up a nappy stash. I got a trial back of baby beehinds but don't want to get anymore until I've tried them out so want to get some flanny flats for when bubs comes. Do most people make them, or can you buy them pre-cut/sewn? I've seen 70cm x 70cm in Kmart, is that the norm? Pardon my ignorance, any help would be great.

I can't sew to save myself, so I just bought them! As far as I know they come in a standard size, I've never seen different sizes. But I could be wrong. Anyway, as long as they're square you shouldn't have any trouble, just find a fold that suits you. And some covers!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the baby beehinds (most of us do!) but it's good to pad your stash out with flats until you know what you like, and can afford it.

thanks for the tip
    Where can I buy the terry flats in bulk? I've only seen packs of 2 or 3 so far.

bigw has packs of 12 , and baby stores sell terry squares too , usually the more expensive brands though ..but check out big w and kmart , oh and also target have a big range of flats , just go to a baby target ( listed on their website ) and theres heaps of packs there ..

fairyfloss Guest

Question

Is it important to have newborn-sized covers in the early days? I'm probably going to use muslin squares, and they wont be quite as big as terries (although I'll probably use both). I've been looking mainly at mother-ease airflows, tots bots wraps and thirsties. I was thinking of going straight to the next size up, but someone here said they'd used their NB size for 4 months, and if that's the case then it's probably worth investing in NB-sizes? Are the NB-sizes adjusted to stay below the cord stump?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast