Thread: Ongoing ammonia smell

Default Ongoing ammonia smell

For the last few months, DDs MCns are smelling like ammonia really strongly when she wees. They don't smell after washing. I though at first it was teething as she has had it on and off during teething periods, but at this stage it has been going on for ages and I really don't think she has any teeth coming now as they are almost all in (only 2yo molars but they aren't anywhere in sight).

It's extremely strong and noticeable so I have begun putting her in disposables if we go out in public. I don't really want to have to use disposables full time as I think she will toilet train in the next few months and I do love MCNS. There's no smell in disposables and I don't think she is dehydrated.

Any advice? I feel like it's worse in cushie tushies and BBH, and slightly better in bambootys. Maybe my CT are older and getting past it.

Default Re: Ongoing ammonia smell

I have not used MCN now for 18months so can't quiet remember but I did find they smelt a little if I had not done a strip wash for sometime. I would gather the solution wouldn't be that simple

Saffy no help here but i find the same thing with both my boys. I am actually using disposables as preferred at the moment as i find it a bit embarrassing that my bub smells like i havent changed him for hours

I always found nappies smelt the least I'd they'd been dried in sunshine (as opposed to drier/clothes airer

DD1's smelled of ammonia but not while on her, only once in the nappy bucket. I put it down to old wee, lack of air circulation (though bucket was bin with revolving lid). Not sure why in truth...

Thanks everyone, we only dry in the sun, don't have a dryer. Probably should do a strip wash but I never found them particularly effective.

Of course, since posting, the smell is much better after 3mths of it. So typical, I should have posted earlier lol.

I was going to suggest a strip wash.