thread: Reusable wipes tips and advice

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jul 2010
    Traveling or planning a trip... ; )

Bloody awesome will give it a go. Thanks darlin. xx

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2010
    Townsville

Ooh sam! So just a chamomile tea ppt n calendula?? Oil or something?

Sent from my iPhone so sorry for the spelling and punctuation!!

BellyBelly Member
    Add Sammiejane on Facebook

Aug 2007
    Melbourne

Calendula tea as well - I get it from the health food shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2010
    Townsville

ooh awesome! Thanks!!

BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Jun 2004
    The Festival State

gig I have the most gorgeous soft bamboo double terry to use on one side and flannel on the other! so perfect for poo's n wee's!

I might take a spray bottle!
    yep, that worked out to be our fave combo too, loopy on one side, smooth on the other.

i eventually found the little spray bottles at a chemist, who sold travel sized plastic spray bottles, like for toiletries. very inexpensive.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2009

I buy all my bamboo materials from snaps Australia, they deliver really quickly too.

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

Chamomile tea will stain your wipes - just a heads up.

I use watered down baby moisturiser in a little squirt bottle, which fits neatly in my nappy wallet. I chuck the whole lot in the same wetbag, then chuck the whole lot in the nappy bin when I get home. I have a lot of wetbags, so I just interchange them.

I used to use sposie wipes, but find cloth much easier. I thought it was a bit dumb to have one bag for the nappy and one for the wipes when I could just chuck them all in together.

Mine are terry or flannelette. I carry them in a little zippered bag in my nappy wallet.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2010
    Brisbane

I just got some wipes from a lady who makes them on eBay, they are flannel one side, and rougher on the other side, it's a little like microfibre - not sure what it is but they are fantastic on poos.

I just do a bucket of water with soap and tea tree oil in it, using up all those sample products I picked up when I was pregnant. Then I wring them out, and put them in a lunchbox. I can then either leave it on the change table or take it out with me.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

rash from mouldy wipes?

(Feeling a bit of mummy-fail at the moment).

I've been using the Cheeky Wipes system for about 3 months and at most keep about 25 wipes in the box with scented water.
    But...
    I've noticed that since having a heater on in the room, some wipes are getting black spots on them, which I assume is mould
    We have still used these wipes (mostly without realising) and now DD has a few red blotches on the top/outside of her labia and on the bottom of her bottom! I'm not exactly sure what nappy rash looks like but I'm wondering if this could be a fungal infection??

Any experience?
    How did you treat the rash?
    And how did you treat the wipes?

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

Hey spicey. I haven't had that issue, it could be related or could be coincidence. To treat the wipes, hot water, Canesten anti-fungal rinse and sunshine. You won't be able to shift the black spots, but you can kill the mould.

For her bottom, first try a barrier cream to see if that helps (use a heavy duty liner if you use MCNs) And if it's not that, then use an anti-fungal cream, maybe like Hydrozole, and I always use it with cornflour as well, just to keep it nice and dry.

I never keep more than 3 or 4 wet at a time, too risky! Our bibs and face washers grow mould if we leave them more than 2 days without washing. I've lost so much stuff, so I'm super careful now!

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

Ahh, thanks for such a helpful reply

Treated the wipes exactly as you suggested today so hopefully that issue is resolved, as long as I don't keep so many soaking for too long from now on. (I am washing mcns and clothes on alternate days so no longer than 2 days between washes for anything).

I have some raw silk liners so will use those with any creams.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2011
    Perth

You can lift the stain with clove oil. And I second everything luna moth said re anti-fungal.

BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Jun 2004
    The Festival State

Ahh, thanks for such a helpful reply

Treated the wipes exactly as you suggested today so hopefully that issue is resolved, as long as I don't keep so many soaking for too long from now on. (I am washing mcns and clothes on alternate days so no longer than 2 days between washes for anything).

I have some raw silk liners so will use those with any creams.
    Mould needs warmth and moisture to grow.
    I'm not familiar with CheekyWipes - guessing it is some machine for keeping wipes warm?

I don't know if the wipes in your machine are cloth or disposable.

Mould is pretty dangerous, so i would personally ditch anything that had been near mould, not worth the risk. I'd get baby's nappy rash checked out by doctor, just to have peace of mind. I have had serious health experiences, and one of the possible causes of what happened to me, was mould - so i guess i am more cautious and respectful of mould - and what it can do - than the average person.

Nappy rash, like mould, flourishes when warmth, darkness and moisture are present - think of the inside of a nappy. So doing some opposites, like airing out baby's skin with some nappy free time each day (AFTER they have done a poopy nappy, and on a waterproof mat) is one easy thing to help their nappy rash clear up.

Frequent changes is another simple thing to do.

Keeping baby's acid/akaline levels neutral, by steering away from bath lotions and potions, also helps. They have perfumes, preservatives and all sorts of things that irritate baby's skin. Water is just water.

In winter, for my baby's changes, i kept a pile of cotton velour facewashers, would wet one with warm water, wring it out and use that to clean up baby at changetime, toss used one in the MCN dry pail. When out in public, i used NATY babywipes, or facewasher (if baby change area had a tap, and if the change was only wee). So there are a few options.

You're doing everything for this little person, no-one is perfect, so please don't be hard on yourself. We talk about this stuff, share info, learn from the experience, try out new ideas, ditch what doesn't suit/work, keep what does. A true fail of a parent, would not go searching for solutions, you are not a failure honey.

My baby got terrible nappy rash when i copied the hospital, and used JJ baby wipes on her , for first six weeks. Such red skin and i had no clue as it was my first baby. Turned out, the perfume, preservatives, parabens etc, irritated her skin. The day i switched to water and facewashers, her poor little bottom cleared up, was a normal skin colour and she was much calmer. We do our best, with what we know, at the time. i quickly ditched the multitude of baby lotions i had, all with perfume etc in the ingredient list (in the tiny writing).

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

May 2005
    in the national capital

Spicey, don't forget to treat the container as well. The plastic may seem like it wouldn't hold any - but it is surprising where the spores can hide.
    Also, sunshine will fade the spots (big call coming into winter I know!)

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2010

Yep, will hit the containers with natural disso today Good sunshine here in Tassie this week. Should stripwash my stash too!

No lotions and potions used here, water with the odd drop of essential oil is the most I ever use. Paw paw ointment is all that goes on her bum (really resisting the zinc creams... is amolin the most 'natural'?)
    And Cheeky Wipes is not anything high tech or heated Just a pile of fine cotton terry towels (15cm sq) in a box with water and scent. I suspect the issue was more with heating the room for comfort.

Great replies ladies, thanks so much for your support. I will give DD more nappy free time today and keep an eye on the redness.