Thread: second hand mcns? would you?

Question second hand mcns? would you?

Hi ladies. Just wondering as I am leaning towards cloth nappies what everyone's thoughts are on second hand cloth nappies? I have a few new ones on order from baby bee hinds as I am hoping to stay accumulating a stash lol but wondered what everyone thinks about used. I would not buy or wear used knickers but if mcns use liners etc it is sort of different isn't it?
    Also I know some people that used a nappy service where the nappies would be used by different people so you would just get the clean ones back ....

I wouldn't buy used, but do have all of Liebling's old ones for Stormy. I just don't know the conditions - infections etc - no, just couldn't. Real daft as laundering kills the bugs, but I couldn't.

yep, my stash was founded on secondhand nappies. it gave me the opportunity to try good quality nappies that I couldn't afford. I usually strip washed them and gave them some UV before using them.

somepeople sell cos they just don't fit their kids, so they may have only been worn a few times.

I would and have used secondhand MCNs. The ones I have bought look barely used and were in great condition. I hot washed them and gave them a lot of time sanitising in the sun.

DD2 had mainly second hand - from DD1 and I also bought a few from others to try on her to see if they worked. I never had any issues. Strip wash and lots of sunlight does the trick.

I have bought second hand nappies. I gave them a strip wash before using. They were all in great condition. I have also used nappies loaned to me by a lovely lady on here when DS was a newbie. I have sold nappies too.

Most of mine are 2nd hand, and I sell on too. Never had any issues. It's a good way to try out different brands/styles and also to allow addiction indulgence :-)

Yep, I had heaps and sold heaps.

Yes I have used and also sold a lot. As others have said I stripped washed and had no problems.

I have bought and sold used nappies. I've never had any problems. Most were ones that were in as new condition anyway

I wouldn't buy or sell used knickers... but if they cost up to $30+ each and I needed 8 pairs per day, I would probably consider it!! lol

I've bought a handful of second hand ones mainly to try out different brands/styles cheaply before buying more new. It can be a bit hit and miss in terms of condition (esp elastic) if you're buying from people you don't know well but I've never had any concerns with cleanliness. (And the ones I bought off other BB users were great!)

phew K4t! Read the first bit of your post and had a panic attack thinking you weren't happy with the nappies from me!!

I buy some second hand too. I also have, cough cough, a bit of a pretties MCN obsession so I might have cough cough a few more than I really need. So when I do sell them on someone will get some gorgeous appliqued and embroidered nappies that have barely been worn at a really good price.

I will buy second hand nappies but second hand shoes are something I just won't touch - I figure I can wash the nappies really well so germs aren't an issue, but icky toes?? Ewww

Just bought a whole heap of brand new looking Itti Bittis off Gumtree to use with Bub #2, plus a pile of second hand covers too. I had a good look at them before buying and as long as they get a thorough wash first, I see no issue. FWIW, I'd never buy second hand underwear either - maybe I'm more indiscriminate with my children, lol!