Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth pads! Convert me!

Question Cloth pads! Convert me!

I posted this on the discussion thread but its a bit quiet so I'll post here...

Actually, convert Shel, I'm converted already, I just need 'approval'! lol

Well, not really, it would just be easier if she liked them too lol...

I think I need to switch to cloth... I seem to have a reaction to the sticky glue on regular pads now... horrible allergic reaction/rash every time I wear them (since the birth... it started with the maternity pads BLERK! 6 weeks of HELL! Yucky yuck yuck! And tampons just don't seem to go in like they used to (very ouchy, dry, and they just don't 'fit' right).

The main factor for Shel being aginst them are smells and stains. We soak our cloth nappies, would it be ok to just pop them in there to soak? I assume they wouldn't really stain (the nappies don't and Jazz can make some pretty feral things with her bum...!). What about the smell when you're wearing them? For a regular-heavy flow would you need to change them more often than with storebought pads?

Ok so how do they work... do you just buy the pad and its just there all in one or is there other paraphernalia? I see people talking about liners and stuff... so is there a pad and a liner... And what about leaks? A normal (normal...? disposable is probably more appropriate right?) pad has the plastic that stop it leaking into your undies and beyond... what does a cloth pad have? What's the average price and where is the best place to buy from? Anything else I should know?

Leasha I'll be following this thread too as I was reading through the discussion thread and I have all the same questions that you do. Especially with the whole how does it attach angle...I have memories of being shown the paraphernalia (involving belts and safety pins) that was around when my mother was a teenager!

I'll be following too.. I'm ... interested... sorta.. LOL

Leasha, totally OT hun. But with that ouchy, dry feeling, that is very common when bfing. It might also be contributing to you not "feeling sexy". There are oestrogen creams you can get for that - you use it for a few weeks until things are back to normal. Maybe ask your GP about it?

I've never heard of that... thanks MR, will definately ask GP about it (at my '6' week checkup next week )!

See, you knew there was a reason for the 6 week check up didn't you LOL! The cream should definitely help things feel more normal down there for you. I think it's to do with having very low oestrogen levels in the early days pp when bfing. BTW, it does get better when the bfing gets less frequent too.

I hope to have some replies in here too. I have thought that after this baby I will be buying a moon cup and want some cloth pads too. I have even started trying to sew my own after researching designs on the net, but so far havent made anything I`d want to wear. I personally would use a separate bucket (just a small container with lid would do I guess) rather than putting them in with naps. I have no idea about odour or how effective they really are. I ended up buying maternity pads yesterday so that I know when time comes I`ll be ready ( i dont even know how much I`ll bleed, cause last time I had a c.sect - i think they sucked it all out for me - vitrually no blood after birth ) and maybe I`ll work on making my own again later on...

Default AIO

I use all in one nappies for bubs, but there is a super absorbent cloth that you find in the cleaning aisle at the supermarket which is exactly the same as the cloth that I stuff in my babies AIO (all in One) nappy! I'll have to get back to you on the brand! Anyway everything washes out very well! Even when I fed my little one beetroot puree! A naturopath suggested to use it as well!

Sorry not really that much help!

I much prefer my cloth pads. My favs are Wild Childs, really comfy and they have nice patterns too. I've had no issues with odour or stains and find I don't need to change them anymore often the sposies. All I do is soak them in a small bucket of water and then throw them in the wash, shouldn't be a problem putting them in with the nappies.

There are heaps of different types much like the nappies, but most just wrap around your undies and fasten with a snap. There are the all in ones, on the ones that have an insert. The wild childs are an all in one, so really easy to use. I've also used Happy heiny's, but find they are better for a light/medium flow. I've never tried mooncups so cant' help on that one.

HTH

It took a long time for me to cross over to cloth pads, I thought they would be disgusting and had no idea how they would wash up, how to store them etc and then i figured I was being a complete hippocrit. If I'm putting cloth on my daughters butt then it should be fine for me too. read up on all the info and bought 2 pads to try out.

To be honest it takes a little bit of getting used to - they don't feel 'dry' like disposables do and yes I change them more frequently not because I have to but because it's damp. Leakage have not yet had a leak in a cloth (exept when I didn't realise it had no waterproof backing) They are more bulky if you get the heavy flow ones but I have since found that as I change more frequently anyway I don't need the heavy flow ones AND after maybe 6mth now of using mainly cloth (3-4 disposables at work) my cycle has changed from very heavy bleeding for4 days and 3 days of light bleeding to 1-2 days of heavy flow and the rest is very light.

Storage - i use an icecream bucket with top on, I wash mine every 2-3days? I sometimes add a drop or two of washing liquid to the soaking water and I empty the whole bucket in the machine then add the nappies and wash. They are a little smelly after 2-3 days but no more so then nappies after the same amount of time. and they wash up beautifully. I don't think I would soak them in with the nappies as the soaking water is very stained.

types - AIO just like the nappies have a layer of PUL or fleece to stop it leaking right through. there are pocket varieties but I haven't tried these. There are also ones without backing PUL (which I don't really get but apparently good for extra air circulation?) Each manufacturer has their own sizing from panty liner up to super/night. Some are trimmer then others and each has a different cut. My favs are obsidens star, clothique and twinklelily all at cloth pad shop. I also tried some from sustainable hemp products that are silk topped and divine but not backed with PUL so don't last all that long. have a look at the fabrics they use, some are flannellette topped, others cotton topped. I found microfleece, bamboo velour, cotton velour and silk to be the most comfortable and stay dry.

I don't use them often when I'm working as I find it impossible to coordinate changing during the day but have just invested in a cup and hope this will mean the end to disposables forever.

Hope that was of some help and happy shopping - oh and beware cloth pad shopping is even more addictive than nappy shopping esp once you know what you are looking for :-)
    Last edited by Trillian; November 10th, 2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Removing link

The pads tend have wings and snaps, so then wrap around your undies. There are some hour glass types, which just sit in your undies and as long as they not saggy baggies, they hold the pad in place. The type of material on the back tends to help them stay in place as well. I find the hour glass ones more comfortable, but there is a downside that they often stay between your legs, in vague moments I have forgotten and then realised after I have done a wee I think Obsi now sell small bands to go around them to hold them to your undies. One thing to remember is that not all the pad is stuck down like the disposable ones, so sometimes the front will fold forward as you pull everything up. Just pays to double check that the pad is positioned properly.

I use cloth pads too. I think they're great.. well.. some are definately better than others (for quality, shape, comfort, dry feeling). It takes a while to get enough to switch over completely so I still occasionally use disposable pads, and you really realise how expensive and how much rubbish it is when you go back to them. You can get wet bags for when you are out all day, or you can just fold them up and secure them with snaps. I just pop them all in a bucket half full of water (and a bit of napisan or woolwash) and leave them till my cycle is finished. Then I tip the water out, give them a rinse, and put them through the wash - usually with towells. They wash up perfectly. I like homemademama pads (endurapads and comfort bamboo velour pads) although they look abit different than when I bought some a year ago, and wemoon pads are good. I know some people like the really long ones whereas I dont so I think you have to try a few. I even made a few of my own which was pretty easy.
    I really want to try a cup, but Im the same - I dont find tampons that comfortable anymore so I don't know how I'd go with a cup. Who's tried one?

Great thread Leash

I've been meaning to post about this topic for a while now too

AM off to look online & do a bit of research... my flow is EXTREMELY heavy, so am feeling a little nervous, as often disposable pads aren't enough to stop the leaking

Am VERY keen, though to try it out - will be watching this thread with interest!

ok - just resurrecting an old thread - does anyone have some recommendations for some nice cloth pads? Ive seen a few on ebay. Also, any recommendations on cup brands?
    TIA!

Oh yeah - Leash did you end up being converted?

Well, AF went MIA for 4 months LOL so I forgot But have been looking recently! Just waiting for some $$$$$ to appear into my account (hoping for a $1m bank error PMSL) so I can buy some!

I'm interested in cloth pads but scared to try them!!! we use cloth nappies and cloth wipes so wanna do my part for the environment even more!

Well, at this stage I don't have to contend with AF anyway (woohoooo!) but will need to be prepared for when she decides to come back....

leash - how'd ya go?

ii been thinking of this too i mean think of all the years ya have them and the $$$ i mean i go through 1.5pkts of tampons and a packet of pads every time. heaps of money wasted.

I've just started using cloth pads, all different brands. Only thing I've really discovered is that beautiful silk-style embroidered backings will run colour into nappies! Same materials, same theory as cloth nappies. There is some smell, but unlike plastic pads its not a dirty smell, more like an honest smell, IYKWIM?

The snaps under the pad I find uncomfortable in some makes ... I've found different makes are better with diff brands of undies .. suprisingly, boyleg undies are OK with cloth pads ... you can even get g-string pads!

Just want a diva-cup now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast