Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloth pads - how many do you own?

So true! Well have to do the school run but as soon as I get back i'm going to place an order!!!!

okay so i will be honest here and admit that im one of the ones that think they sound a bit yucky! but i am also curious - what makes them so good? how are they any different to the ones u buy at the shop? do they not stain? do they soak thru you your undies? how do they stay in place?

What makes them so good is that they are AWESOME hehe. They are flexible, soft and gorgeous! Plus I was coming up in rashes from the disposable ones, not sure if it was the glue or the plastic, but it happened from when Jazz was born so I switched to cloth. Shel was sceptical but mine aer topped with green microfleece so the blood doesn't look red, which stops her sqeamish stomach LOL.
    I don't have one stain and they're 7 months old now. Mine are backed with PUL, so they are waterproof, and I personally prefer the ones with wings for that added peace of mind

I can't go back to disposable, compared to cloth they feel like you're wearing cardboard between your legs.

Hmmm off to google and check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by hj1981 View Post
    okay so i will be honest here and admit that im one of the ones that think they sound a bit yucky! but i am also curious - what makes them so good? how are they any different to the ones u buy at the shop? do they not stain? do they soak thru you your undies? how do they stay in place?
    :yeahthat:

and how do you clean them??

I'm interested now!

Heaven, I soak mine in a bucket of water and before I do I give them a real good rinse out to get any excess blood off them. I have not had a single stain on mine and 3 of them have pale pink velour and you couldn't even tell what they were used for. You treat them like a cloth nappy and don't use fab softener either and I dry them in the sun, which also fades any marks that may be there

HJ - they don't soak through because they all have inner PUL which prevents that and the fabric grips the fabric and most of them will have wings as well They also don't bunch like disposable pads either and I've not had a single leak and I have a pretty heavy flow. Not to mention how nice the velour feels against your delicate bits
    Last edited by Trillian; February 9th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Oh yeah, I don't even leak at night anymore!!!!

Just soak them in a bucket of water, and then wash in the washing machine. Just like cloth nappies.

Thanks for answering those questions ladies cause I must admit I have always been a bit "err yuk!"
    DD2 went to preschool with the noonee wilga lady's DD and i can remember my GF and i being absolutely horrified when we found out what she did LOL (it was 7 years ago too so I was a lot less enlightened)
    I may just venture into this brave new world LOL Especially when I know where the Noonee wilga lady lives!

Thanks Leasha and Trillian - another question - how do they stay in place? with normal pads they stick on, so wouldn't these ones shift as you move? and sorry to ask - but do they smell after awhile? do u need to change them more regularly?

I asked this ages ago before I started and someone said that it does smell different, but its an 'honest' smell which I think is the best way to describe it.

I don't notice them shifting. They're cloth so they sit against my skin which I guess stops them from shifting too much. I also do wear more fitting undies when I use cloth.

I change them when I feel like they need changing, it depends on my cycle but generally yes I change more often.

H you might like this thread: Cloth Pads - Convert me

I use winged pads which have snaps and snap around the crutch of your knickers.

Again, I dont dry pail because I for one CANT stand the smell of the water sorry Leesh..honest smell or not its friggen foul in my books. I think only 2 of my pads have stains but they are minor and flannel ones....not velour.

I keep mine in a screw lid jar that when its full gets put into the washing machine and washed on a cold rinse with washing powder. Pads dont have to be super absorbent as nappies do as they arent designed to hold wee so it doesnt really matter if they are washed normally. Ive even nappysanned the 2 that had stains successfully.

Ive noticed with some of my older ones...im talking almost 4 yo ones that one of them leak so the PUL has broken down some how.

oh now I wanna go looking for some more...what havent I tried yet????

LOL I get ya! The smell is honest, not nice (but then neith are disposables ). Although is smell different for each person? Shel says she doesnt notice a smell, and trust me shes so sqeamish she'd notice The smell from mine arent bad, its strong but I don't find it worse then a pooey nappy!

I've always been curious too..what do you do with them when you are at work or out and about?? A wetbag like for nappies??

Oh I started a post on this too ezy LOL. I use a plastic ziplock bag Gigi had a good suggestion though on my thread, if you have a look (its in this section ).

Ta Leesh will have a look!

I find the water in the bucket while they're soaking is pretty gross too Maz but if I remember I just pour the water out (over the garden ) and change it over..... hopefully by that stage i'm ready to throw them in the washing machine with DD's nappies anyway.

I can't wait to get my Bohemian's!!! But now I want more..... 5 won't be enough hehe

Looks like I've gotten a few of you ladies spending up since I started this thread haha

I find the water in the bucket while they're soaking is pretty gross too Maz but if I remember I just pour the water out (over the garden ) and change it over b4 it gets gross.... hopefully by that stage i'm ready to throw them in the washing machine with DD's nappies anyway.

I can't wait to get my Bohemian's!!! But now I want more..... 5 won't be enough hehe

Looks like I've gotten a few of you ladies spending up since I started this thread haha

Oh, and I haven't worn my cloth pads out of the house yet but when I do, I'll just make sure I bring extra wet bags with me, the one's i use for DD"s nappies. Easy!!
    and that's great for the environment rather than using plastic!!

HJ1981- if you read whats' in disposables ie chemicals etc... you'd want to look at cloth pads too!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast