Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth pads and length of AF?

Default Cloth pads and length of AF?

I'm looking at the Wemoon website and in the Q & A section, it says some people say that AF is shorter when using cloth pads...?

Has anyone actually had that experience? I have 7 day flow, 5 of them are HEAVY. So I'm trying not to get excited over something that seems very far-fetched, but the more I google the more I read of people who say this has happened so...? Have you experienced this?

I've also heard the rumour (urban legend? lol) that disposables have some chemical or something in them that makes you bleed longer. That seems like a tall story, but is there any truth to it?

wow havent heard of that one but i wouldnt be surprised......

good excuse to give them a go i guess?!

The heaviness of my Lochia decreased instantly when I stopped using disposables. I am emptying my cup twice a day and it isn't even quarter full. I am only spotting now. I only started using the cup after DTD didn't hurt. I did get a rash from disposable pads so if the chemicals in them can cause rashes it wouldn't surprise me if they had something that irritates enough to extend AF.

I get a disgusting rash using disposables. I've made two pads, they look ... well they look good to me LOL and gonna make some more when I can be bothered. Now that AF has returned after a couple of months MIA I'm going to try cloth. Have tried to convert Shel, we'll see how she goes when she gets AF lol. Lucky for her she isn't too heavy, but mine are terrible. I go through a pack of disposables and a pack of tampons in a week (probably TMI sorry lol)!

Leasha I have heard this too around the traps. I haven't used cloth pads but am considering it for several reasons. If that's a "side effect" then I'm all for it

I don't know why it would be that way - but I know I bleed over a shorter time if I use my mooncup over tampons. My theory on that is that the mooncup allows for 'freer' flow than a tampon does and it runs out faster. Don't know if that is true or not! Can see how pads would make any difference though as it's not blocking anything to start with.

Girls - I just can't see how this could possibly be the case.

While there may be a slight difference between the length of AF if you were using cloth pads to if you were using a cup or tampons there would be no difference between a disposable and a cloth pad. It is a bit like saying that wearing tracksuit pants makes your AF shorter than when you are wearing jeans.

I say go for what is more comfortable but I just can't see how what you wear can have a biological effect on your body.

Google it. Wiki has a great amount of info on cups, including all the different brands and their sizing.

You'll find that yes, using either cloth pads or menstrual cups do shorten some (most?) women's bleeding, sometimes by up to two days.

Check out the nappycino cloth mama section - there will be a lot more women there who can speak from thier own experience.

Muppity - given that tampons are associated with TSS whereas cloth pads and menstrual cups are not, yes, what you do use on/for your body does have an impact. Also, tampons can 'dry you out' as they absorb all vaginal secretions, whereas menstrual cups only catch your period so they are a lot more comfortable (not to mention they remove all odours associated with periods, and they're soooo economical and environmentally friendly).

leasha its funny you would say that i had just sent the ex an email saying something regarding tampons and whats in them

ill quote that bit here

"No wonder so many women in the world suffer from cervical cancer and womb tumors. Have you heard that tampon makers include asbestos in tampons? Why would they do this? Because asbestos makes you bleed more, if you bleed more, you're going to need to use more. Why this isn't against the law since asbestos is so dangerous? Because the powers that be, in all their wisdom (not), did not consider tampons as being ingested and, therefore, did not consider them illegal or dangerous"

i would be happy to send you the whole thing if you want?

UPDATE trillian has pointed out that this information is false
    Last edited by squidipa; July 17th, 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Well what is the theory behind it making your af shorter by using it? I hardly see how using a cloth pad or mooncup can shorten a bleed, irrespective of what you use. I don't just want to take someones word for it or swallow the urban myth, I want a real reason why.

Squidipa, I suggest that you check out this link from snopes about that email you were sent http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/tampon.asp There is no asbestos in tampons.
    Last edited by Trillian; July 17th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.

For the few months AF came after DS did and before this bub came I converted to cloth but my bleed length didn't really change. I just found it much more comfortable (I bought a few Rad Pads).

Just wondering leash what you made yours from? I have found a few sites that recommended this and that but prefer to hear what other womyn are actually using.

Not sure about scientific proof but when you start reading other womens experiences with cups/cloth then you'll notice a recurring theme of shorter/lighter/easier periods so that's proof enough for me. And yes, I realise that saying that makes me sound like I'd believe anything that's pleasing to the ear. Please know I don't believe that Elvis is still alive!

I have a link if anyone wants to PM me which will lead you to a massive menstrual cup forum which has lots of polls on people's experiences.

thanks trillian do u mind if i ask something tho? who does the research on that site? not disputing anything just some real cool info on there and want to know how credited it is.

The owners of the site, David and Barbara Mikkleson do the research for it. They have a pretty extensive FAQs section on their site. Apparently it started out as a hobby for them to find out more info about different things they had heard or had been emailed about and it grew from there I guess. There is another similar site, truthorfiction that does the same thing

thanks for that

And this is what truthorfiction has to say about the asbestos and tampons issue;

Additionally, we contacted Dr. Stephanie Baker and she sent us the following email:

I am Stephanie Baker. A version of a bogus e-mail alerting readers to the alleged dangers of tampons has been circulating with my name on it. I am NOT the author and I disavow myself completely from the content of the e-mail. It was not my intention to further disseminate this FALSE information. When I received the e-mail, I forwarded it to a few friends, commenting on what I felt was the absurdity of the misinformation that it contained. My name became associated with it because I did not realize that the e-mail program I was using at work would drop my electronic signature file (including my office address and phone) to the bottom of the forwarded text, thereby implying that I am its author. Unfortunately however, one of my recipients not only forwarded it, but left my name at the bottom of the text.

In addition, you should be aware that the content of this e-mail is constantly being altered by those who receive it, including moving the placement of my name within the text of the e-mail. One version circulating combines my name with that of a Donna Boisseau, a person unknown to me, whose name was attached to the version of the e-mail that was sent to me.

If you have forwarded this e-mail to others, I would very much appreciate your forwarding this message to anyone you may have sent it to. Thank you!

Stephanie Baker

I always check out these sites first whenever I get an email like that.

I've never tried cloth pads but have been meaning to for ages. I also find disposable pads really irritating, especially in hot weather!

I have a mooncup though! I used it for 3 cycles before becoming preg with DD and ever since my cycle started up again almost a year ago.

I used to suffer with really bad period pain. Terrible. I remember it even in highschool. It was sometimes so bad it would make my legs go weak and I was unable to stand with waves of pain rolling over me. Ok, I think you get the picture. Now I'm not absolutely sure whether the mooncup or having the hormonal changes of pg and birth have made the difference but here I sit on day 1 of my period, and I have not had a single cramp or pain!!! The difference is unbelievable to me.

As for the duration, I would say it is just as heavy but perhaps almost a day shorter. I would be really interested if someone has had a similar experience with changing to cloth pads! I really recomend the change to cups!

Macca - I use PUL as the waterprrof layer (too scared not too! lol), I have some smaller ones with Sherpa as the absorbant (they are Shel's liners lol) and others with hemp. And the top i have some with microfleece and some with flannelette.
    I'll have to post pics!

Trill - honestly, I have no idea of the theory! Apart from the rumour of chemicals in disposable pads. I was just interested as it was on a cloth pad site so wondered if anyone had actually had that experience? But they don't mention WHY, they just say thta many women experience it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast