Thread: cloth pads post-partum

Question cloth pads post-partum

Hi ladies

I'm looking at some deals on cloth pads and just wondering what you used post-partum - how many? how big? (long, wide, thick) what style?

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience - good or not so good.

Cheers!

*bump*

I'm really interested in this too.

Me too! I reckon you would need a heap if you were only using cloth because (especially if you have any injuries down there) you need to change regularly to keep clean and dry. If you had a hospital birth, you also have to consider how to get them washed for the first few days.

I reckon cloth would be heaps nicer on your touch than single use ones. Also, if you can white tops it might be easier to monitor your flow (colour etc), especially at the beginning. The coloured ones are funky though.

I got a dozen post partum pads and maybe used 4 of them before I was okay to go back to my normal ones but then I had a caesar so had maybe been well "cleaned out" before they stitched me up...not sure on that one. Having said that I was told be one of the makers that a dozen is more than enough for most people. Twinkle lily biggsies make great post partum pads and Flourish pads on Etsy do great post partum pads. You just email her and she does a customorder for you...... Flourish pads used to be nice knickers for those who havent heard of them...nice knickers are my fave pads of all!!

Oh and re the washing...I had a wetbag and just sent them home with hubby along with the boys nappies......fortunately I have a hubby who is not fazed by any of that stuff though...he did really well with all the washing!

and they are so much nice against all your sore bits than yucky disposable ones...I reckon I have saved heaps by not buying disposable pads over the last 5 years or so...probably over time have spent about $300 all up on them but when i think how much disposables over the same time would have cost me I am well ahead financially.
    Last edited by melbel; April 17th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

I used them once I was at home. I just used my overnight pads, they were good enough to do the job. I only have the Obsidan ones, not sure if the design is still the same these days, but they work well. I did find 2nd time around that I really did not need hefty pads like I did with my first.

I used disposables in hospital and cloth part time once I got home. As soon as I felt comfortable I switched to my cup.