Thread: Help convince me to go cloth

Default Help convince me to go cloth

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now and i really like the idea of using cloth pads after #4 is born. I lothe disposible pads and i just cannot use tampons *shudder*.

But, i have no idea what is really involved. So here's a few questions i'd like some answers to please..

What do you like about cloth pads?
    What don't you like about cloth pads?
    How long have you been using them for?
    How often do you need to change them?
    How many would i need?
    What's you favourite brand and why?
    How do you stop them from staining?
    What do you wash them in?

And anything else that comes to mind for you.

They're comfy. They're better for the environment. They're better for me given they don't contain chemicals. They're pretty

They're bulky- I use tampons during the day though so I've continused doing that.

Before getting pregnant I had used them for about a year (started once I got my period back after having my son)

I use one overnight- I have overnight and regular pads so I move down the less absorbent pads as my period lightens.

How many would i need?
    Depends if you use them during the day and how long you're period lasts. My period generally lasts no more than 5 days so I have 2 overnight pads and 3 regular pads. I also have 3 panty liners to wear with tampons on the first day and during the day by themselves at the end of my period for spotting. (I actually now have 6 panty liners as I'm wearing them during pregnancy).

I have only tried Happy Pads and Green Chickadee- I find the Happy Pads better made.

I rinse them (but not always) in the morning with a quick go under the cold tap. Then I pop them in a container with a lid in the laundry tub to soak in cold water, then toss them in the next clothes washing load I'm doing (cold water) and they don't generally stain. I have had one stain but I've done nothing more to get the stain out so far.

Regular laundry powder (aware)

I HIGHLY recommend them!!!

I have some Luna Pads I use but find them only so so. They are nice and soft, but they are kind of bulky and don't stay put that when I go to the loo. The first few days of my period are so heavy I'd rather use the more absorbant disposable pads, then as my period lightens I switch to the cloth ones. I have only tried Luna Pads so maybe other brands would be better, and I only bought dark ones so that there would be no visible staining.

hmmm, just subscribing!
    I've been thinking about these as I am prone to thrush, and strangely haven't had it at all since BF so have had it in th eback of my mind if it's something to do with pads (don't use tampons either!)

I have a latex allergy & it appears that I'm starting to have reactions to the plastics used in pads as well so I'm on the hunt to find something better.....

Anyone else have anything to add?

I only just saw this today, otherwise I would have posted earlier.

They feel so nice and soft against your skin and they look so pretty LOL.

They are quite bulky unfortunately, especially if you need to have a pad to cope with a heavy flow. But you do get used to it.

For over a year now

As often as you would change a regular disposable pad

How many would i need?
    That really depends on how long your AF last for, how heavy it is and how keen you are on washing them. I have 5 and that does me fine and I have quite a heavy flow, but I wash every day. I don't like the idea of pads sitting around soaking for too long.

Twinkle Lily's without a doubt. They are amazing and suit my shape perfectly. I also love my Noonee Wilga pad too.

Give them a really good rinse out as soon as you change it and then soak in a bucket of cold water or wash straight away. Make sure you hang them out in the sunlight as the sunlight will fade stains if there are any.

Sunlight soap - don't use fabric softener if you have PUL in them. I hand wash them and then spin them in the machine. I did wash them in the machine once, but found it didn't clean them well enough.

Just thought I would add that Twinkle Lily have a trial pack of 4 diff sized pads on sale at the moment for $40 bucks great way to try the best cloth pads for cheap.

They're soft and lovely and comfy and they just feel like an extension of your clothes, rather than a rattly plasticky fake attempt at being comfortable.

The bought ones I have are snap closures which is not comfortable for a full-time cyclist like me :P So I have made my own with velcro closure, much nicer! I don't have too much problem with bulk, the ones I have are very slim.

I managed two periods before getting pg.

When they're full... same as a regular pad, I just keep an eye on them.

How many would i need?
    I have 2 bought ones, 2 homemade ones

I have a TwinkleLily and and Obsidian Star. I looooooove the OS, it is so bloody lovely.

The OS is red velour! So you wouldn't even notice. My homemade ones are dark colours, so you don't know if they are stained anyway, but I just chuck them straight in the wash when I'm done.

Soap nut powder, like I do with most of my other stuff. I also sometimes use Earth Choice liquid, if they're a persistent kind of dirty, or if I'm doing a hardcore wash of other stuff.

I ordered the starter pack from Bohemian Rainbow, two liners, two light & two heavy for $40

Quote Originally Posted by Salad View Post
    Just thought I would add that Twinkle Lily have a trial pack of 4 diff sized pads on sale at the moment for $40 bucks great way to try the best cloth pads for cheap.
    I LOVE my Twinkles, I find they fit the best for me