Thread: Question for those who use cloth pads

Default Question for those who use cloth pads

Hi all

I have been on and off looking at using cloth pads, I think the are a great idea - but I have one question - How would do you use them if you are at work? What do you do if your out for the day?

I work 8-5, 5 days a week and I just can't get my head around what you would do with them if you need to change them? The idea of carrying around and icky pad in my handbag is kinda gross LOL.

Hi Sophie, sorry no advice from me but thanks for posting this question have been wondering my self I'll be stalking this thread for the answers now

You can get 'wetbags' like the ones you use to carry wet cloth nappies in, they are waterproof, in pretty colours and small, kind of like a zip up purse, but yes you do have to keep them in your bag for the day if you chose to use them at work, but looking at the wetbag no-one would know the difference .

Thanks!
    I Had a look at a website and they had some really pretty bags - they just look like toiletry/make-up bags, so you're right, no one would know the difference LOL

I am still umming and ahhing over getting some... I might start getting some and using them at home until I'm used to them!

Ta!

ok maybe *TMI* but how do the cloth pads go for really heavy flow?

Have you considered a menstrual cup? I find that most days, I don't need to empty it at all through the work day.

Quote Originally Posted by ausgirl View Post
    Have you considered a menstrual cup? I find that most days, I don't need to empty it at all through the work day.
    I think these are made from rubber/latex?? I could be wrong though I haven't looked into them in depth. But assuming they are I prob wouldn't try them only because of the latex allergy risk. They do sound good though.

Default Mooncup

I think these are made from rubber/latex??
    The mooncup is non-latex, medical grade silicone, not sure about other brands.

Willow, TMI, but I have disgustingly heavy flow and I feel 'safer' wearing a cloth pad than I ever did with a disposable. I've found, with mine at least, that it absorbs into the pad much faster, I definitely feel much drier. You do have to change them more often, obviously without all the absorbant chemicals they won't hold as much, but the only time I had a small leak was at night and even then I can barely go the night in a disposable without changing or springing a leak so I am impressed.

cloth is waaaay better for a heavey flow , the twinkle lily are trim and wide at the front and back so it ctaches it all , and they are really absorbent.

the cup i use is a Lunette and its a silicone one , and i LOVE it , you kinda forget you have a period as you can wear it for ages until it needs an empting (depen ding on your flow) and even over night and it wont irritate or cause Tss !

once you use cloth , thats it ... you will never go back !!! you owe it to your self !!!!

Slightly OT, but Leasha how many do you find you need for your AF having a feally heavy flow? Mine is super, super heavy to the point of using maternity pads all the time for it and I don't know how many, and what type I would need to cope with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    Slightly OT, but Leasha how many do you find you need for your AF having a feally heavy flow? Mine is super, super heavy to the point of using maternity pads all the time for it and I don't know how many, and what type I would need to cope with it.
    :yeahthat:

The twinkle lilys Charmalia suggested sound good being wide at the front and back I use ones designed like that now, just the throw aways.
    But that design def seems safest.

Trillian - jump on the "cloth pad shop" sooo many heavy/maternity/overnight pads to choose from and whams on there will do a custom to suit your needs too , IMO twinkle lily are really good for a heavey flow , the "biggsies" are huge but they do the job nicely , being wider in the crotch as well with 2 snaps not 1 makes it wider to catch it all .

i have platinum panites , but imho they are too short and good for the smaller woman/teen .

otherwise i have made my own ... Etsy have a massive range too .

Quote Originally Posted by *charmalea* View Post
    otherwise i have made my own
    What did you make them out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    What did you make them out of?
    i used quliters cotton on the top and bottom , with a double layer of micro fleece as the waterproof and then terry towelling nappy cut up , 2 layers of that , they are not a trim as if i had of used PUL but they arent as thick as they sound the are prolly the thickness of a overnight pad of heavy flow ...

I wanted cloth pads right there and then lol , so i made them with wahat was lying around , i also did some with a top layer of flannel and got stainless steel studs to hold them in place (like snaps)
    here is a pic , they are pretty dodgy but they do the job .
    http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...nsmama/002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by *charmalea* View Post
    once you use cloth , thats it ... you will never go back !!! you owe it to your self !!!!
    Oh aint that the truth!

I use Platinum Panties and they are great. I am going to try another brand eventually but for now they work really well. I'm only a 3 days bleeder, first light, second heavy, third light and I haven't had a leak since the first time I used it. I didn't place it right and it did leak but since then i've learnt how to put them on properly and I will NEVER go back to disposables.

I have a cute little wet bag, it's small and it fits nicely in my handbag, and it doesn't smell or anything. I just chuck the pads in with the clothes or nappies and I haven't had any smell or stain problems. A lot of people soak them until they are ready to be washed but I haven't had to do this.

i little squirt my pads then soak them in water depending on how heavey it was . the PP are great for light days , and the patterns are sooo funky ! but a bit short for O'night use , i reckon !

i actually had a dream about cups and cloth pads last night ... talk about obsessed

They look pretty good from the pic. I want to try some but cant afford it ATM so I might try making some.
    I have to make some boosters for Miss M so I can get her back in cloth & I have plenty of microfleece from covers