Thread: Thinking of converting to cloth pads...advice?

Default Thinking of converting to cloth pads...advice?

I have just got my first AF since I fell pregnant with Jack. I am finding that wearing pads is very uncomfortable (I don't like using tampons), they are making me itchy and I feel like I am getting nappy rash, LOL. (now I know how my poor bubbas felt when they were in sposies)
    I am thinking of converting to cloth, but it is sorta grossing me out (no offence intended) Do they absorb the fluid like sposie pads? Will I feel dry? Are they hard to look after? Do they get stained? Do they get smelly?

I am looking at buying from a WAHM...have seen Rainbow something (can't remember, lol) on FB...are they good? How many would I need? How often do you change them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Red face cloth pads are great

Hey

I use cloth pads and find they are great! They absorb well and don't stain or anything. You just need to make sure you are wearing the right ones for your flow i.e. light or super. I also use pul undies during my heavier days for extra protection. The ones I use are called white nights and these are really comfortable.

Ricki

No advice about cloth pads, but have you considered using a Diva Cup? So much more comfortable and userfriendly than tampons, no smell, and no worrying about leaks.

Thanks hun, I did think about it...but decided against it. Thanks anyway.

hey hun

i wouldnt use a cup either... dunno just not me

now, af hasnt come back yet but i have planned to use cloth when it does rear its ugly head.

so far i have some swaddlebees, happy heiny, sckoon and twinkle lily pads. I much prefer the idea of the two snaps on the twinkle lily ones. I got the trial pack direct from her website

my plan is to have a large screw top jar in the toilet (cevered in contact LOL!), filled with water and with a bit of bicarb in there. Will rinse off with LS before i pop them in there and i have been advised to wash every day or at least change the water daily. i have some mini wet bags for when i am out too.

well thats my plan, how it works out only time will tell!!

im converting here since dd is now using them too gonna make my own

marlene i think you jinxed me.

looks like i will have a reiew for you by the end of the day argh!!!!

WOMB - twinklelily (as in MY but!!! )

ahhhhhhh organic bamboo velour. my p**** is too good for plastic ROFL!!!

oops....sorry kitt3n....LOL, hey at least you get to try out your new fluff.

ok... definately go with double snaps!!!

dont feel wet though - it does feel "damp" but not yucky.... much much nicer than a disposable pad

i am converted lol

Thanks kitt3n

oh oh oh I can answer this!! Last weekend I had my first cloth AF

I am a 3 day bleeder, first half of day 1 is light, second half of day 1 is heavy and day 2 is heavy, day 3 spotting.

I brought 14 pads, some liners, some longer ones. They worked really well, were SO comfy, none stained and they didn't smell at all! Because all of mine were wings with snaps they were a little more obvious to ME that they were there than a sposie one but I am so allergic, I get lumps and itchy (sorry TMI) but had none this time.

I just chucked them in a bucket, and put them through with the nappies on a 40 degree hot wash no detergent, they came up all nice and clean without a stain in sight. I did wash them every night. The 14 lasted me till the end and I used them all

All mine are AIO, but you can get ones that aren't if your a light bleeder or for spotting.

I brought mine from Platinum Panties (google it) and they were very cheap cos I got them on sale

Photos are in my FB, which is in the link in sig (for everyone else) but I have you anyways In the July album I think (or fluffy mail?)

I'm considering converting too... so will be keeping an eye on this thread. I've seen some gorgeous cloth pads online... the fabrics are just beautiful. I agree the Platinum Panties ones look great. I think I'll end up buying a few brands though... just out of curiosity.

Thanks Mel, I will be checking out your album

diary of clothing, day two

used a swaddlebees overnight, a long one. this definately needs snug fitting undies

also tried a happy heiny yesterday - these are microfleece topped. nice. very nice, but i do prefer the velour.

jar seems to be working well - need to do a load of nappies this morning so i will just chuck them in with that and see how it goes......

I've been toying with this idea too. *TMI Warning* but after having two kids tampons just don't do it for me anymore. I constantly FEEL them and it was not like that before ... and I DID NOT EVEN HAVE A VB

I use tampons for the first two days (pads at night - after ds anyway) and then I just spot for about a week and no reliable bleeding at night. I use a pad .. I don't spot at night, I don't ... well, ya know So I keep throwing away un-spotted clean pads that I wore during the day/night. And I really feel that if I'm going to put ds in cloth, might as well do myself too, right?

I'm going to make my own ... any ideas on good free patterns that I can download? Do they really (seriously) really feel better than disposables? And do you really need a waterproof layer if you spot really light? Would something like just a nylon backing work .. for light days.

TIA (and sorry for highjacking)