Thread: Late Teething

Default Late Teething

My fourth child is almost 11 months, she has NO teeth!!! All of my other children had teeth anywhere between 5-7 months but never this late?? I am wondering if they are all going to come over night!!!

Does anyone have any experience with late teething? How old was your child when they got their first tooth?

Default Re: Late Teething

Subbing for my friend.... Her bub turns one next and still has no teeth and does not crawl.

She is not worried but said she will get her dentist to have a look at bubs gums etc

Sorry, that was meant to read 'next week'

My oldest didn't cut teeth until she was 9.5mths old. Then cross cut them all in about 8 weeks... LOL

If you are worried, perhaps take bubba to a dentist.

My older 2 were 10 and 9 months. DD1 then proceeded to get 11 in a fortnight and DS all of his within a month....got it over and done with lol.

I was wondering if she might just get them all at once!! I have been doing some online research, 'they' say check it around 13 months. DD4 has done everything a few months later then her sisters, so the teething is consistent with that.

Joski, DD4 commando crawls but only just started exploring away from her play mat in the last two days, having had three before her I don't feel stressed about it(honestly I have enjoyed her slow to move approach tiny things everywhere in this house!!), especially when people comment about it, some kids take their time!! I will get someone to check out my daughter by 13 months of her teeth have not showed by then.

I appreciate the replies!!

My older 3 were all between 5.5 & 7.5 months... DD3 didn't cut her first one til 10.5 months. My friends DD was 14 months before she got her first tooth. So it's pretty normal to be late.

I didn't notice DD getting hers any faster than normal, But DD1 cut her first at 7m & her 2yo molars at 13 months. All her teeth were through by then, that seemed pretty fast to me!

My DS1 was 17 months when he cut his first tooth. No joke! He was gummy for the first 17 months of life! Google told me that it's pretty much impossible for late teething to be a probem - it's not like there are no teeth there or something.

My DS2 just turned 1 and has one tooth. He also doesn't crawl, but is smart as a tack and has awesome fine motor skills. They all do things in their own unique way.

My middle child didn't get any teeth until a few days after her first birthday. She was also my latest to walk at 13.5 months and didn't ever crawl. I think she just liked being a baby

Wow rubyshoes... 17 months!!! THere are some things actually linked to slow teething and slow crawling moving etc... Something to do with the thyroid, but I will not worry about that as she moves well, the teeth look like they are nowhere near arriving!!!

Artechim- I quite like her being a baby for a long time too!!

My cousin has two daughters, both got their first tooth after 12 mths of age!

My DD1 got her first tooth at 14 months. She cross cut and had them all within a couple of months. It was completely stress free as her sleep was already so well established. She would wake up in the morning and I would notice a new tooth when I lay her down to change her nappy! She is now 11 and has congenitally absent upper laterals, but I don't believe that had anything to do with being a later teether.

Gosh I am so interested in the stories of other late teethers, thanks for the continued replies!! I wonder how my little one will go, as you said nickle she is an established sleeper, sleeping about 12 hours a night, I wonder how affected she will be? Maybe they can handle the discomfort better when they are older??? time will tell I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by nickle730 View Post
    My DD1 got her first tooth at 14 months. She cross cut and had them all within a couple of months. It was completely stress free as her sleep was already so well established. She would wake up in the morning and I would notice a new tooth when I lay her down to change her nappy! She is now 11 and has congenitally absent upper laterals, but I don't believe that had anything to do with being a later teether.
    What are congenitally absent laterals??

DD walked before her first tooth popped through! She was an awful teether, poor little mite! She cut 4 in 2 weeks. She has gorgeous healthy teeth but the shape of her mouth has contributed to the added pain of teething.

I've heard of cross cutting but what is it actually?

Upper laterals are particular teeth names and congenitally absent means that it runs in a family line.

LD teeth are supposed to come in a certain order, and cross cutting means getting them in the wrong order. It can sometimes impact on the growth of the teeth or their position, but not always.

I think this thread has kick started the teething process. THis afternoon she got very teething type symptoms, really gnawing on her hands and complaining a bit, plus a red rash on her toosh... tonight she has woken up (she never wakes up) and is pointing to her mouth and crying a bit... I turned on the lights she has 4 teeth looking like they might pop through!!! Funny timing!