Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Hammocks # 2

I got one for my son when he was 4 months old (we hired it) and used it until he was 7 months when he was ready to go into the cot and was trying to roll onto his tummy It was the best thing we could have done to settle him and he slept so much better when he was in it. We also co-slept but less after obtaining the hammock because he was happy to sleep there instead.

The Amby is VERY portable too!!! It can be moved from room to room and it is easy to put together. Far easier than putting up the portacots which is great if you go anywhere.

I am a huge fan.

I have used it for all 3 of my babies: it was honestly the best bit of baby equiment we ever had!

I have reviewed it here: Amby Hammock

The only downside (and it is a tiny issue, LOL!) is that they never look as cute as a made up cot. But I was always MORE than willing to trade in looks for sleep!

I would TOTALLY recommend.

My 3 children stayed in the hammock until at least 9 months (Charlie). Lexie only moved to a cot at 12 months.

citrus Guest

Default thanks!

Thanks for your responses. I love the idea of the hammock, it seems to mimic the movement of the womb better than anything else, and your responses have convinced me its the way to go!
    Glad you all had success, and hopefully some good nights sleep when you used yours!
    Cheers
    Citrus

I would say definately get a hammock. The only bad point about our hammock was that we had a severe reflux baby who needed to be rocked to sleep an awful lot, and constantly trying to put him in and out of the hammock was a strain on our backs. Our son loved it, it did wonders for us and we often travel and taking the hammock with us was much easier than taking a portacot.

Go the Amby hammock!! We used one for our first DS who was a terrible day sleeper and it changed our lives! You won't regret buying one

we used an Amby hammock in the hostpial when DS was born and it was a lifesaver. MIL ordered one for us as a present and it arrived the day I got home from hospital. I loved it and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Do you find the hammocks an issue if you have pets?
    Im looking at getting one however I have a cat and am wondering if it would be a problem.

skittlebub - I don't have a cat so I can't speak from experience, but I think it would be pretty hard for them to jump into the hammock, but who knows how crafty cats can be?! You can buy a mosquito net with the hammock that would solve the cat problem. You can order them from the Amby website.

We had to use the mozzie net if we were going to leave the room because our cat loved getting in there for a nap.

No cats in this house, but the mozzie net would work like a charm as a deterrant.

Our dog Perry used to always sleep unter the hammock, under whichever baby was in it. Lexie 9our youngest) finished with the hammock 4 months ago, but we had a 5 months old little baby over on a play date who borrowed our hammock........& Perry was under the hammock like a shot, and they were both fast asleep in minutes!

We hired one and she hated it but I think the hammock wasn't quite right.

jessicat Guest

Default Hammock Bouncing Baby

Hi there. First time on here. We have a hammock for our little girl (got when 4 months and would not settle and screamed her lungs off when was time for sleep. Was told to rock cot which was great and helped her heaps but absolutely exhausting for me. After 10 days ordered hammock and has been such a blessing - no screaming and lots of good sleeping). She is now nearly 8 months and all going well...only thing is that she has to bounce hammock to get to sleep. She does this herself (I put her down and leave room) and she bounces it wildly till she falls asleep. Can hear it up the other end of the house. This is great, cute and makes us laugh a lot ...but I worry about the cot transition when she can no longer bounce. I wonder if others had a baby needing this amount of bounce to sleep and how the cot transition went. I cant physically rock the cot again and she hates settling in my arms so that is out too. Also she is not into co-sleeping (was my wish for her originally, but not her preference at all). Any experience in this much appreciated. Thanks.

Jessicat, I am giggling becaue all 3 of my babies did the rigorous bouncing themselves: it was hilarious!

Like you, I was REALLY nervous of the cot transition, particularly with my first (Olivia). She was 11 months when we transitioned her, and still on 2 sleeps. So on the day of the move into the cot, we kept her up in the morning and went for a swim (and exhausted her!) and then at lunchtime gave her a cuddly milk feed in her room (keeping everything else in the routine exactly the same, aside from the actual bed) and then popped her in the cot.

She slept for 3 hours! Same deal at night: kept everything the same, and she transitioned perfectly. No boucing required.

My son Charlie was a bigger baby, but was still being wrapped in the hammock, so when we first transitioned him to a cot he was not happy as I think he didn't feel as secure. So it did take a few days. Then we put him into a grow bag/sleeping bag for sleeps: problem fixed!

Lexie, my youngest, transitioned at 12 months. She as always been addidcted to a "blankie" in her hammock, so when we transitioned her to the cot, blankie went in too, and she transitioned perfectly.

So no problems here. The idea of transitioning was much worse than the reality!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Lucy; March 10th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.

jessicat Guest

Default Thanks Lucy!

Thanks Lucy - and such a prompt response - I needed it- Thanks ! Yes I've been wondering whether the anticipation I'm experiencing is worse than the actual transition will warrant. Your message suggests it is!

Think I was also feeling a bit guilty (Shock horror - a mum feeling guilty!) that she (Matilda) was still in cot and had not learnt to 'settle self' without bouncing...and that I should be transitioning her asap so she could learn this. Almost wanted to do it so I can get over the anticipation and guilt, but I also dont think this is the best reason to do the change. She seems pretty happy in there still, so will wait for a few 'signs' whatever they may be???? before the move and meanwhile just enjoy the boucey noises and learn to relax about the whole thing.

When we do her blankie and grow-bag will follow her into cot with the familiar routine - good to hear that its worked well for your little ones (even if took a little while for little big Charlie.

Thanks so much Lucy!

In terms of "signs", here were ours:

Olivia.....very petite little baby, who was VERY reticent to move much (ie was still not rolling at 11 months?!) So I decided to move her into a cot to help her get moving. (But she could have stayed in the hammock for another 6 months I reckon.....)

Charlie: bigger and MUCH more mobile.....to be honest, I probably should've transitioned him earlier, but we had an OS trip and I wanted him in the hammock for that, as it is a very transportable bed. Upon our return, we kept him in the hammock for a week or so to get over the "jet lag" in which time he rolled over in the hammock and totally freaked me out, hence we cot transitioned.

Lexie: a tiny baby girl, and average in the gross motor skills. And the decision to transition her was all down to beds.....Olivia had moved out of her cot so the cot was ready, Lexie's room was totally decorated.....so we tied it in with her birthday.......but again, she could've stayed in it for another 6 months.......

jessicat Guest

Thanks Lucy. Tilly is pretty mobile and active, but is not a roller. Did it on the floor a few times at four/five months, but hasn't been interested since. She seems pretty comfy in the hammock (as long as she holds her blankie over her face!!!! Not SIDS friendly!! After she is asleep I have to come and take it off - although not ideal it is pretty funny to hear her snoring under her green frog blankie! That and rocking only way she falls asleep!) so will keep at it for a while. cheers.

Mmmm, I've been thinking about hammocks for a few days. I never knew this thread existed until tonight!

My DS is 10 months, and an erratic sleeper. Sometimes his day sleeps are great, sometimes not. He goes down in his cot at night, but I nearly always have to go in two or more times to resettle him before I go to bed. He comes into our bed sometime during the night, the time he does this is getting earlier and earlier. I like cosleeping, but I would prefer a little more time in our bed before DS comes in. And I wouldn't complain if he spent all night in his cot

Would a hammock help us do you think? Or is it too late, is he too big? Would it help to teach him to resettle, or just create a whole new set of problems for us?

Any thoughts appreciated

jessicat Guest

Hi mate - Mmm. That is a hard one. I do know someone who shifted their baby at seven months and had great success. She had never got more than 2 hours seelp before. But that is just one person.

Its hard to work out what to do. Not much help am I. What you could do is hire one and see how you go. I think baby hire does them for 3 months at a time.

Good luck with decision making - hopefully someone else has some more info. Also check out the testimonials on the hammock web sites (I have an Amby).

cheers,

Jess

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast