Thread: Masada - anyone been?

Default Masada - anyone been?

I have just filled out the paperwork for the Masada Family Unit. I haven't submitted it yet and I am having doubts. I just don't know what to do!

DD was a wonderful sleeper up until I went back to work at 5 months. During the day, I would wrap her, leave her in her bassinet and she would grizzle for a few minutes but fall asleep within 10 minutes. At night I would put her in her sleep bag and put her in her position on our bed and she would fall asleep even faster (we've co-slept since she was 2 weeks). This changed once my mother started looking after her as she was being rocked to sleep.

So, for the past 4.5 months, her day sleeps have nearly disappeared. I am lucky if she will have 2x 30 minute sleeps between 7am and 4pm. She is constantly showing sleep signals but if I try and help her to sleep she screams and crys to such an extent that I give in and let her stay awake. By the time she actually goes to sleep for the night I still have to feed her 3-5 times. The only way to get her to sleep is if she is near exhaustion, I rock her, BF and sing - this can take 20-40+

My MCHN, physcologist, and the Koo Wee Rup unit have recommended Masada. I can see the benefits - learning how to settle her, setting a 'routine', and getting her and myself away from all the advice for a week.... but I feel like I am failing. I should know how to do this. I dont want her to cry it out (even though the Koo Wee Rup nurses say they don't use this method).

I guess I just need to know if other families have had any success (short or long term) so I am not just going by recommendations from people who have never been there.

You poor thing, must be so tired. I haven't been to Masada myself, but my friend went recently with her 8 month old after struggling for months with no sleep. She swears it was the best thing she ever did. Both Herself and bub seem more relaxed (and rested!). from what I've heard they don't use the cry to sleep method and are really good with bub. She is over the moon with the help she has received. If nothing else, you will get a good rest as they take care of bub while you sleep and show you techniques to settle, work out what is wrong and give you an action plan to use at home. Good luck. I hope it all works out for you and bub....and big again hun.

I have a couple of friends who have done sleep school there and found it life changing - literally. While I didn't go to the mother baby unit, I did have DS there and I can tell you that from my experience the culture of the hospital is wonderful, as is there approach to motherhood and caring for babies.

Good Luck! It is so hard dealing with sleep issues, especially at that stage

Hi njon- I used to work there as a midwife ( the maternity has since shut down), I do know some people who went to the MBU, and were very happy, I can also tell you the women that work there are LOVELY, good luck I hope it works for you x

Thank you everyone. I finally handed in the paperwork today (it only took me 2 weeks). I am feeling better about making this decision and my husband has been really supportive as well. I will definitely be letting everyone know how it goes.