Thread: Question for co-sleepers

Default Question for co-sleepers

How do you make sure your bedding doesn't go over baby's head and suffocate it?

Background: None of my kids have co-slept, apart from when I used to occasionally feed DS1 in bed in the early morning in the hope that he would then sleep in a bit more. But, we are going camping in about 6 weeks and DS2 isn't a great sleeper. Obviously I can't have him waking up everyone in our tent and possibly the whole caravan park, so I need a few strategies up my sleeve for if he doesn't settle. But the thing that has always worried me whenever I have a baby in bed with me is that my doona will end up over their head and suffocate them. So I make sure the doona is well down, which means I get cold and don't sleep well.

Any suggestions please?

Wear a nice warm jumper, with a long sleeved top underneath. Or thermals.

we go camping with our kids and once when DD3 was only 5 weeks old. what i do is actually bring her cot mattress with us and pop that beside our bed. I wouldnt feel comfy having baby cosleep on the air mattress as i tend to find that it deflates too much...or that could be our crap mattress .

by using their cot mattress i then just have all their usual bedding and sleeping bag. but i also make sure that there are warmer clothes for bedtime too. if you are BF as i am still i found at our last trip 3 weeks ago that i ended up lying with my head and shoulders across their mattress with bubs attached to the boob. it was a bit uncomfy but actually not as bad as i thought it would be.

That's a good suggestion. I wouldn't want to cosleep on an air mattress either.

The air mattress would be my worry too. When we took DD1 camping, we took her portacot and set that up beside us in the tent. She could see us right beside us through the mesh wall.

Honestly, in a camping ground or caravan park, crying babies (or snoring adults for that matter!) can be heard all the time. Don't worry about it! DD2 carries on a bit when we go camping and she doesn't even wake up DH or DD1.

Thanks guys. We have a camper trailer with a mattress for the bed on top of the trailer part, so the air mattress wouldn't be a problem. However, DS would have to sleep between DH and I to make sure he didn't roll off (as the bed is quite high) and that worries me a bit too.

I'll have to keep thinking about it!

Can you dress him warmly and have him on top of the doona? We've done that in the past. Or sleeping bags for you and DH with bub between you?

Could you use a bed rail on the outside and sleep DS2 between you and the rail (instead of between you and DH)? The bed rail we have doesn't really take up any room ITMS, it's a portable one that kind of slips under the mattress and just provides a bit of a barrier.

Otherwise, what about something like a snuggle bed? (Google images for what it looks like)

As PZ mentioned: also wear some nice warm clothes for yourself...that way, by having the blankets further down, at least up top you are warm still