Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting to get depressed about DS's sleep (a bit long) WWYD?

Well then I'm off to buy a king sized bed!

CRAP night here too last night

Kaz, this might be making life harder but my girls like to listen to music while they are going to sleep so they have an ipod that DD1 can operate (DD2 is almost there) but a cd player could work just as well. They have a few fave albums they listen to at night. If they wake up during the night then I go in and tell them it is still night time (they are not allowed up until it is light) and put the music on, give a pat and a kiss and leave the room. If you think that associating music with sleep would work maybe that could be an option?

Kaz. I know what it's like - we've been through all sorts of sleep issue combinations and permutations. I agree with MadB. I find so many other parents say their kids "sleep through" and then you scratch a little beneath the surface and it turns out they get up three times to put the dummy back in, or give them a glass of water, or yada, yada, yada. I found that one friend's definition of sleeping through was actually that she didn't have to get up, her DH did. Another convinced me that CC had worked for her and I should try it and then it came out that she was still BF twice a night. I really hope that with time they will all work out that sleep is kind of nice.

Mak - I have totally tried to recreate random events to encourage sleep too lol and i'm with Willow, we might need to get a king size bed!
    Willow -
    Nai - thanks for the reminder hun. We tried music when he was a bub and it only stimulated him but I reckon its worth a go. He found a baby classical cd I was given when he was born the other week and playing it turned him from hyper energy to calm, self directed and independent play for about half an hour so I might give that a go.

Eta - Tilda, lol at your friend who defines it when she sleeps through and her DH gets up! My DP would share but over the past year he's been pretty sick and it largely fell to me and now DS just wants me cause I've been the constant parent etc.
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Can you get him a mattress that's big enough for both of you - that way you go to him and can perhaps have a snooze too?
    And try your darndest to wear him our physically during the day - the more he runs/climbs/dances/swims the better he is likely to sleep.

I think it is OK to tell him during the day that "when you are quiet during the night Mummy gets more sleep and we can have more fun tomorrow" - I don't think of that as "conditional", more just helping him see the connection.

We have two single mattresses on the floor in DS's room. Through the day I put them on top of each other (when I have the energy and can be bothered) Looks like a single bed. At night I put them next to each other on the floor and sleep in there. At least DP doesn't get disturbed and if DS does sleep for a stretch you can roll away and get a bit of a sleep in your own space, before then next call anyway. I find it easier than getting up and down continually it just makes me even more tired, I didn't think it was possible but it is

I tried the running him ragged and exhausting him through the day and it doesn't make any difference with him. If he gets too much stimulation it makes it worse. I think with him it's his little brain that doesn't seem to switch off at night. He even talks in his sleep, laughs, cries, counts etc When he wakes he's quite often telling you something about the day or even a month ago. I'm hoping when his brain development starts to slow he'll sleep better... Isn't that around 4 or 5 though omg I don't know if I'll last that much longer. Well that's my only remaining theory anyway lol Maybe he's just torturing me for past and present life atrocities who knows

Kaz I hope you have a better night tonight

I know how you feel. All 3 of mine wake up at night, we normally end up with 2 in our bed and me or dh in the lounge room with DD2. I can't even think about throwing a newborn atm I wish at lease 2 would sleep. Dh starts a new job soon and if he is on afternoon shift 3pm till 11pm I don't know how I will do it.

Well he slept through last night! 8pm to 5am felt so much better this morning and on my game at work today too. We've just had the typical hour of mucking around in his bedroom but I think he's just dropping off now.

Willow - our kids sound very similar. Activity levels don't seem to make a difference here either, DS is just as likely to sleep well after a quiet day at home stuck inside due to bad weather as a big day out. He never slept at all in the pram as a newborn/infant. If we were out, he was awake until we got home or got in the car and "alert baby" comments were the most common. Heard that more than cute, sweet etc!
    Brain development does slow at about 5 so I guess i'm halfway there??

Yowie - can't imagine 2 let alone 3 waking. I really don't have anything to complain about compared to that.
    Sent from my phone.

Woohoo! Here's hoping you get another night the same Did you buy that king sized bed
    We've got a visitor this weekend she arrived today so DS has been very excitable. He's only just gone to bed so we'll see how we go tonight...

How did he go last night Willow? I hope he slept well and (dare I say it?) gave you a bit of a sleep in this morning We have a visitor turning up this afternoon for the weekend so DS will also be pretty excited as well this evening.

Back to a typical night here last night. Down just after 8pm and up at around 2am. It's funny how it only takes one relatively restful night for me to feel so differently about it all. The problem doesn't seem so bad or so permanent and I feel like I've been making a mountain out of a molehill and then it only takes one or two typical wakeful nights and I'm straight back into feeling like rubbish and like it's never ending and I'm so sick of feeling tired and frustrated and so on. I'm so easily swayed lol!

Well he went down just before midnight woke at about 3.30am then every hour after that
    It is amazing how you get a goodnight then aren't so negative about it. Sleep deprivation really is nasty! I don't know about you guys but after we get a decent night it's usually a fair while before we get another On the up side maybe we're due one soon now

Foothills of the Blue Mountains, West Sydney, NSW

Willow I am definitely with you about 1 good night then a long time til the next thing! Grrrr it is painful isn't it?! Sometimes I just don't know how I cope. My boy is a late sleeper, late waker but for the most part gets up for a breastfeed every 1.5-2 hours overnight! He eats HEAPS during the day so I really don't know why lol no matter what I do, that seems to be the norm around here. oh man what I would do for a night of unbroken sleep (and some alone time with DH before bed). But worst thing is, since damian has been teething lately again, he likes to wake up for an hour or so around 3am and that is sooo hard! How do us Mummies do it?!?! Oh these little munchkins better look after us when we are old and grey they better LOL

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

We have had the occasional run of good nights (either sleep thru or less than 15 mins resettles) but not for longer than a week or two. Usually the sleep through is like a random interruption to normal programming. Since we had one this week i'm not expecting another soon. Hope the random event visits your houses soon.

I'm playing a relaxy sleep CD now in DS room. He's still kicked the covers off and moving his feet through the air but it seems to be settling him. I'm going to give this at least a week.

Sent from my phone.

Danni Damian sounds just like my DS at 10 months 2 hourly bf were completely normal for him, and when he was teething it would be hourly or less We had the 3am wake up and stay awake for 1 hour plus as well, I don't know if that was teeth or just a actually a stage or Wonder week thing. I think at about 18 months we started to get at least one stretch of sleep of about 3 -3.5 hrs each night instead of 2 not great but a definite improvement from 2hrs I guess, but after the 3hrs it would every 1 or 2 after that for the rest of the night

Kaz To the "random interruption to normal programming" definitely the same here Good luck with the CD I might have to try that again too, but last time I did it just seemed to give him something extra to talk about when he did wake up

Morning ladies! I just wanted to say that I wish I had found people happy to talk about this kind of stuff 3 years ago. I can really relate to the discussions you have had about alert babiesand frequent overnight feeding as DD1 was exactly the same. I also found the busy/quiet day seemed to make no difference either.
    Interestingly she has heaps of trouble winding down and the quietness of bed seems to make a big difference as it all seems to come out!!!! DD has started some yoga at kinder and not sure whether it is just a developmental maturity or a combo of both but that seems to have helped too. Also we have a deal that if she goes to bed in her own bed and sleeps for as long as she can (really means no fuss/carrying on as much as possible but without saying it) then on aFriday she can choose either to jump in with us or have one of us in with her for the night.
    We have had a few great nights after being up from 2am Tuesday until 5am. Somehow they know that I work Wed-Friday! Thank goodness for coffee!
    Wishing you lots of sleepy vibes. I think you all rock for being so open about it. xxx

Foothills of the Blue Mountains, West Sydney, NSW

Willow it's so nice to hear from someone who understands!! Omg our boys must have been twins in a past life LOL! I must ask... Has your boy slept through yet... Or how is he sleeping now?! (I can't see how old he is if u have on sig as I'm on iPhone). Thanks for sharing and it is reassuring when you hear someone has been there, done that when I really don't know any baby like mine!

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Hi Danni, DS is 22 months and has slept through once. Slept through being he slept I think 11pm - 5am it was only a couple of months ago, and he slept I still woke every 2 hours The longest stretch he's done since then is about 5 hours and that's only been maybe 3 times, and again I think I only slept the 5hrs once out of that. When he was going down late, between 11pm and 2am, I started to make sure I woke him at the same time every morning, which is 7.30am. It nearly killed me on my days off, as I could've laid in bed for the extra hour or so but it did bring his bedtime back to a more reasonable hour. That way at least I got an hour as 2 of baby free time and got the kitchen cleaned or just vege while he was doing his first hour or 2 sleep.

Some days are worse than others. I'm never good getting up but some days once I get going I'm ok. All in all I think I'm pretty hard to live with most of the time DS is still BF and I get the old "you need to wean him then he'll sleep better" advice, but I actually don't believe that nor I am ready to stop BF. Most of the time that is the fastest way to resettle him and as long as I have to get up and go to work I've got no interest in abandoning BFing and arguing with him for an hour or more each wake up before he goes back to sleep.

Willow I totally agree on the feeding. Weaning ds at 12 months (overnight) is my biggest regret that's when we went from frequent wake ups but fast resettles to less frequent wake ups but long periods awake overnight. 18 mths later and counting.....up for 1hr 20mins so far tonight. I had no idea it could actually get worse!

Sent from my phone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast