Thread: What can we do? Is this from teething?

Default What can we do? Is this from teething?

I spent an hour and a half tonight trying to get DD to sleep. That itself isn't unusual, she generally feeds one side for half an hour or more, comes off asleep, then we switch sides and she does the same again.

But tonight, instead of just finishing she threw herself off. I let her lie there and get comfy, she fell asleep, but then half a minute later she was trying to sit up and getting cranky. I burped her and swapped sides again, but after 2 minutes the whole thing was repeated. She wound up wide awake, grumpy, and not at all wanting to feed or go to sleep.

So I tried walking around the room with her, but just lying her down in a sleeping position stressed her. DH came and tried, no luck. We changed her nappy as it had been two hours, tried again, and still no luck. Every time we try to get her to sleep she gets upset, but if DH walks around with her, upright, facing out (like he is now) she's happy as Larry! Kicking her legs, smiling, certainly not ready for bed!

I'm just wondering, could this be a teething thing? Or is she getting a cold? Every now and then today she's coughed, and she's got a runny nose - she's never had a runny nose before. Her temp when we changed her nappy was 38, but that could be because she was worked up and crying. She feels a lot cooler now.

I'm a bit at a loss how to get her to sleep! She's always just fed to sleep, and it's never this late! Right now DH is just walking around with her, hoping she'll get tired. I can't do anything with her without her crying at me

Any ideas? Reckon we've got a long night ahead

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

It might be teething. Or it could be an upset tummy - has she tried any new foods today? Or she could be hot? Cold? Or she could just be being a little monster, especially if she's happy and content in certain positions. My little one (8 months) has been doing this to me a couple of times a week since birth and all I do is either get reaaallly comfortable in the rocking chair or in front of the telly and (if it's a weekend) take shifts with DH.

Hopefully someone else might have a suggestion, but I hope she gives in soon and you get some sleep!

Well, fingers crossed I'm not talking too soon, but she's asleep! DH walked with her til he needed the toilet lol. So I took her and she protested, and I rocked her til she was calm. DH came back and sang to her until her eyes got heavy. Unfortunately as soon as she nodded off she woke and got cranky again, but thankfully she then took the boob and now she's asleep.

It did take a while! So now I'm hoping she'll stay asleep for a while.

No new foods today, and she's not gassy or anything, so I don't think it's a tummy thing. Her nose is fine now, it only seems to be runny when she's upright.

Hopefully it's teeth and this pesky number 3 finally gets through tonight!

you know, sometimes kids are random

MadB, they sure are!

She's up again. I went straight to her and tried feeding her back to sleep like I always do but she wasn't interested. I was happy to just sit with her til she fed or fell asleep, but DH came to get her.

He's all grumpy too, says "great, I don't want to have to do this for another 3 hours for only 20 minutes sleep." Never mind it only took an hour between us last time and she slept for an hour. He's also peed off that her panadol is out of date - we've only used it once so I've not looked at it in ages. Not that I think she needs it anyway, she feels warm but her temp is the same.

He's annoyed because he has a big day at work tomorrow. I keep telling him to go sleep in the spare room and I'll be fine with her but he just keeps walking around. With her upright, facing out against his chest. Like she'll fall asleep like that. It's just the only way she'll let him hold her. I can hear her yelling out, she's not even thinking of sleep.

Urgh, sorry for the vent, it's just very frustrating! Even more so because even though DD is restless she's fine, DH is making it worse!

I hope you are all sleeping peacefully now, and that it was just a random 'event'. Hoping she has a good day today (Tues) and a restful, back-to-normal sleep in the evening.

It could be because of the frogs in Bolivia? Honestly, I have no idea why my kids wake. I stopped trying to figure it out long ago.

Hope you got some sleep and DH cheered up.

Lol fiona, those darn frogs in Bolivia! This was definitely due to teething - number three has finally poked through! It was the runny nose that threw me, I was worried she was getting sick.

I was more looking for ideas to help settle her, as we haven't had a night like that before. Unfortunately when you replied Ash, we were anything but sound asleep! She slept in 50 minute blocks, with between an hour and an hour and a half of crying between each one. Sometimes the sleep was only 30 minutes. The crying was awful, nothing could help her and she was hysterical DH pulled it together, and when she woke he'd calm her down and cheer her up then I'd get her sleepy and eventually lay down with her and feed her to sleep. Even in her sleep she'd cry out every now and then

She seems a lot happier right now. I'm hoping now that the tooth is through she'll feel better, and hopefully nap well today!

Sent from my GT-P7510

My DD1 used to be like this. I was driving me nuts until I had her at the drs and he found she had an ear infection. She felt fine sitting up but lying down made it ache. I learnt to sleep holding her slightly upright before we figured out it was her ears. It was connected to her teething and panadol helped with the pain.

I hope you got some sleep last night.