Thread: TTC & Breastfeeding

Default TTC & Breastfeeding

Hi
    After years of being unable to concieve we were blessed with a bub through IVF. Bubs is now 1yo and still breastfed and I have not had a period.

Medical fact is that my chances of concieving naturally are less than 1% on a good cycle, let alone bfing so I realise and accept that I am nuts to be thinking about this.

And yet....

Years of monitoring fertility signs is a hard habit to break...so Ive carried on checking intermittently since giving birth. And its generally been pretty static. CM dryish. CP medium, hard and closed. All the same for 1 year.

2 weeks ago, for a few days, I felt so 'off'. Very strong nausea and off my food. Identical to how I felt when pregnant and not in a subtle could-I-be-imagining it way. So I took a test. Bfn, of course. Symptoms continued so two days later I took another test. Bfn. So I tested opk on Christmas eve - positive then negative the following day and since. So was the nausea related to a hormone surge and returning ovulation? Symptoms subsided after that. But now my cervix is on the move. Higher and higher and softer and softer. So two weeks after the first test I tested again this morning. Bfn. Of course, its not a two week wait because there is no expected AF because of breastfeeding. Just this open ended less than 1% 'what if'.... it's unpleasant to say the least.

Can anyone offer any thoughts, or share experiences?

Default Re: TTC & Breastfeeding

I would be surprised if you continued to ovulate without getting a period. I'd say it's more likely you ovulated around Christmas for the first time since having your baby and your period will return in the next week or so. That's how it happened for me anyway. Ovulated then my period returned.
    Good luck. I hope you conceive naturally if that is what your hoping for.

Thanks for replying Mildez

Well, Im not pregnant and no af either. No idea what happened but something did as it definately wasnt subtle. I guess the hormones just had a moment. Oh well

Boo. I remember how annoying it was waiting for my period to arrive after my DD as I desperately wanted to start ttc again. Funny how things work out. I didn't conceive until she was just over 3yrs old despite us hoping and trying from shortly after her birth. We had finished our family and I discovered I was pregnant when our last Bub was 10 months old. It was exactly what I wanted last time but it didn't happen.

Best of luck and I hope conceiving again isn't a much easier journey then last time.

Hello, I know this thread is a few months old. I'm in the same boat, DS just turned 1 and we have been 'trying' for two months but I haven't had a period and I'm not familiar with charting so I really have no idea if I have or when I am ovulating. I'm already getting a little frustrated by how long its taking only because the first time around I fell pregnant first go, first month, literally. So the bar is SO high in terms of expectations. Hubby doesn't really understand, he thinks I'm already worrying too much which I totally get. It's just such an unknown and I now get how everyone who waits years to conceive must feel.