Thread: So... DD is nearly 10

Default So... DD is nearly 10

In 2 weeks!

I've just realised I'm going to have to talk about AF with her at some point... Omg.

How? I'm dreading it. How do you know when? What do you say? She really only knows about my 'after baby' times, I think...

I think I'm in over my head. Whats a good book???

She's my little girl! It doesn't feel right that this stage could be just around the corner

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mines 8 this month.

At ten I had public hair and breast buds, so she is probably aware of her body changing. I had the book Everygirl which I LOVED.

My mum was really open about it and showed me pads and tampons and explained how to use them. She first told me about AF when I was younger, so I knew to expect it.

I would make it really special and buy her a necklace or bracelet when she reaches menarch, and maybe connect her with any aunts, grandma's woman friends so she can be welcomed into womanhood.

I teach (well- I did before DD) 10-11 year olds and every year I had girls in my class start AF. The average age is getting younger and younger and a lot of these girls had never had the chat with mum.. I think poor Mm thought she had more time. I would say the sooner the better.
    So hard though, I hate seeing my little one grow up, don't want to think about the bigger milestones!!

My daughter is 2years older then your Dd and hasn't got AF yet but I expect it anytime. She needs a bra and have public hair now. For us it really was a natural progressiOn in her education she already knew how babies were born and has seen animals mating and been assisted birthing (we have a farm) and it has been unavoidable at times especially with the alpacas as they are so noisy and take so long lol. I also have a book about puberty which I hate but it sits in the book shelf in case she wanted to read anything about it in private. I'm not really sure how I would have a talk about it as for us it started when DD was really little and me explaining things very simple and basic so the older she had gotton the more she found out if that makes sense. Also as gross as this may sound DD has seen me put a pad on (no blood but) so its been just something normal that she knows happens.

My DD turned 10 a couple of weeks ago, so I feel your pain. We'd always talked about AF quite openly as she's seen my pads and tampons in the bathroom, so she knows that this will happen to her too. I've also bought her a book about puberty in case she wants to read about what's happening on her own. She's recently asked about discharge so we went shopping and bought her some liners and I've also got her a little toiletry bag with pads in it even though I think AF is a way off for her yet. Next stop is bra shopping for us I think, she's starting to get little buds and has been complaining of tenderness.

As for how to talk to her - keep it honest, straightforward and matter of fact. Make out like it's not a big deal or anything to be worried about, but is a sign she's growing up. Answer any questions she has, and let her see you buying sanitary products - you might want to get a supply for her to keep in her room as well.

Good luck - it's an exciting time

Oh my. My DD is only 5 and I'm already scared of this. Sounds like some fabulous advice which I'm going to copy and keep for when i have to have this talk - eeekkk!!!

No advice but sending heaps of support & good luck

Well she knows I have pads etc in the house & she kinda knows what they're for, but not the nitty gritty. Ie, that in the next 2 years it'll probably be her... EVERY month!

We'll get there. She already wears crop tops/training bra's every day, coz she started complaining about sensitivity about 12 months ago. I haven't made a big deal out of anything so far, but I wouldn't mind a book that will explain it better than I can. I hate AF & avoid it where possible. I dread that she'll have to go through it... So it's gonna be hard for me to talk about it positively...

sigh...my baby girl is 10 in a month.

My baby can't wear a bra or get her period or start liking boys. I won't have it. She's my baby...

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    My baby can't wear a bra or get her period or start liking boys. I won't have it. She's my baby...
    Yeah that!!!