Thread: Talking to DD about eating disorders.

Default Talking to DD about eating disorders.

I REALLY need advice.

This morning DD took 1 piece of laughing cow cheese for recess. I told her to pack something else and she grabbed a candy cane *insert cranky mum face*

Anyway, I over reacted (I know I shouldn't have) and yelled at her. The problem is one of her friends appears to have an eating disorder. This friend of DD's eats small amounts of food and runs the field for the remainder of lunch/recess. She also tells the other girls they'll end up fat if they eat x,y, z.

We are also at the stage where we know nothing - but her friends know everything. Very frustrating.

DH dropped her off this morning and she cried on the way to school. I feel horrible

For those who have experienced either side could you please offer some advice?

My DD went through a similar thing at the same age, also triggered by a friend who was telling her if she eats x,y,z she'll get fat and die. Basically, we had a chat about 'sometimes foods' and how eating them in moderation will not make her fat. I also addressed it with her school, who had a chat to the girl in question and her parents. It took a while to get her to eat properly but now she's fine.

My DD1 was diagnosed with anorexia at 9. It was such a shock at the time but she is still battling the horrible disease. As I type this she is in hospital again as she hasn't eaten for 5 days straight.

I would advise you to get on top of it now. Do not let it get beyond where it is controllable. If you have to take her to see your family GP and have them explain to her about the importance of eating correctly then do it. Most times kids will listen to their doctors. I would also be reporting it to the school. My DD's teacher had to sit beside her at lunch every day to make sure she ate it. Sometimes the embarassment factor works to.

Good luck hunny. I really hope you nip it in the bud now

Thank you both kindly for posting. I had a serious conversation with her. She read a few articles & I showed her some graphic pictures. I was very open about it all. Including my own experiences and what I encountered during school.

Im pretty sure she'll be fine now. But it's so scary!

Thank you both again- I really appreciate it.